Official feedback for issue 52

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Tellah

Post by Tellah » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:40 am

Just finished reading the Ridge Racer article.
Really, really enjoyed it. Very interesting that the signature music style was a last minute descision. Brilliant insight into the development.

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:45 pm

Excellent Issue, keep up with the great work, well done! :D
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

Blue Triangles

Post by Blue Triangles » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:26 am

I'm new to the forum, so a big hello to everyone. :D

Been a Retro Gamer addict since the publisher change over, and suscribed for a while now.

As usual, really enjoyed the issue. I can't pick out any particular article that stood out personally, but a solid issue nonetheless.

A quick question. When you list the perfect ten games following a Retroinspection, they're also included in the best of the rest (some, maybe not all) feature on the following pages. Is this intentional?

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:22 pm

Just before I start reading Issue 53 here's my verdict on 52.....

Back To The Eighties/Nineties - The digital watch was definetly the better part of the deal with Cascade! Alway thought RAZE magazine was pretty poor - much preferred TGM.

Revival - Nice selection. Spindizzy was arguably one of the finest games for the CPC. Will have to give Vectorman a go.

Complete History - Star Wars - Quite an exhaustive feature! Although I'm not a fan of the movies, the games were usually pretty good.

Making of - King of Kong - Excellent! Watched the DVD months ago *ahem*. Of course Billy Mitchell claims that they edited it to make him look bad but I'm sure he did a good enough job on that!

Making of - Eye Of The Beholder - Never played this but interesting article nevertheless.

Making of Star Wars - Really enjoyed reading this.

Retroinspection - Amstrad GX4000 - I bought one of these a few months ago. Good feature!

Making of Klax - Always preferred this over the likes of Tetris. Nice article.

Making of Ridge Racer - Good to see Jonti Davies contributing to RG from a Japanese angle. Great!

Overall - Some strong and varied pieces this month. Keep up the good work!

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:59 pm

Finishing off this batch with #52 then.

Front: Nope. Mega square pixels does nothing for me.
Escape: Liked it.
Making of SW: Great.
GX4000: Good, but not enough tech specs.
Klax: Liked it.

Much retro goodness for an oldtimer retro hardliner.

Cafeman

Post by Cafeman » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:46 am

Way over here in the USA , just got this issue a few days ago.

This was yet another great issue. I don't find all your issues must-read fantastic, mostly because of the usual focus on "Speccy", which I never saw and its games look horrid to me. No nostalgia there.

But this issue pressed many of the Caféman's nostalgic classic gaming buttons! As I read through the Star Wars history feature, and then the Making of Star Wars Arcade, I felt the desire to hook up old systems and play those games all day long; that is what a retro gaming magazine should be, and once again Retro Gamer has accomplished its mission.

The Cover -- fantastic in all its pixelated Luke glory! Vader and Luke perched up on the E and R fighting, that is icing on the cake! Or at the very least, drew my eyes away from the obscene "$11.99 PRINTED IN ENGLAND" price tag.

The History of Star Wars -- the Rankor art was well placed, QUICK! Turn the page! (page turns) AGHHH!! All those 2600 Star Wars games! I read those articles like H.G. Well devoured his meal upon returning from the 800th century. It's amazing how Parker Brothers blew it. Empire Strikes Back was great stuff, true; but Jedi Arena and Death Star Batlle? Ech. Nobody I knew liked these games. I LOL'd at the Jedi Arena comment, "looked like a pissing contest between two men in adjacent toilet cubicles". HAW HAW HAW, loved that. Love the RG humor; for some reason that connected and I laughed almost as hard as a few months back Jace article about "Nan" in an advert, he wasn't sure if she was even alive or could see the TV screen from where she was placed in the picture...

The SNES games brought back memories and I felt pangs of remorse at never actually playing either the 80's coin-op Empire Strikes Back kit, or the 90's SEGA model 1 Star Wars Arcade. Oh well.... I did play the 32x one and it was very cool until the difficulty squashed the fun.

Enjoyed seeing articles on Vectorman and the excellent Streets of Rage 2...

The Making of Star Wars - I read this with impatient hunger. I never read an interview with the actual folks who were responsible, lots of great behind-the-scenes stuff. Thanks. Like many other gamers I'd imagine, I can remember the chills and thrills of sitting down in the Star Wars Arcade cabinet and shooting TIE Fighters to the accompanied John Williams score, and hearing "And remember...the force will be with you, always". One of the best coin-op games ever; perhaps the best licensed game ever.

Amstrad GX4000 .. what?! Ahhh nutsies, here is another bunch of pages spent on a system I never heard of like that "Speccy" they are forever raving about. well, I'll read it eventually. Now I know how Europeans feel about articles about my beloved Atari 5200....

Lots of other great things, congrats on a fine magazine you guys.

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:07 am

Cafeman wrote:This was yet another great issue. I don't find all your issues must-read fantastic, mostly because of the usual focus on "Speccy", which I never saw and its games look horrid to me. No nostalgia there.

Amstrad GX4000 .. what?! Ahhh nutsies, here is another bunch of pages spent on a system I never heard of like that "Speccy" they are forever raving about. well, I'll read it eventually. Now I know how Europeans feel about articles about my beloved Atari 5200....
The mag itself is indeed made in the UK. The ZX Spectrum (or "Speccy" as many people call it) was a VERY popular machine in the UK during the 80s in the same way that the Commodore 64 was popular in the US (although that too was quite popular over here in the UK as well, just not as popular as the Spectrum). It was released in the US as the Timex (I think) but was a flop.

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:17 am

pottyboy wrote:
Cafeman wrote:This was yet another great issue. I don't find all your issues must-read fantastic, mostly because of the usual focus on "Speccy", which I never saw and its games look horrid to me. No nostalgia there.

The mag itself is indeed made in the UK. The ZX Spectrum (or "Speccy" as many people call it) was a VERY popular machine in the UK during the 80s in the same way that the Commodore 64 was popular in the US (although that too was quite popular over here in the UK as well, just not as popular as the Spectrum). It was released in the US as the Timex (I think) but was a flop.
Yeah, the Sinclair ZX Spectrum was realeased in the states under the Timex brand - but it never met the success that it did over here.

As for Amstrad, their machines had some popularity over here in the UK but their main success was in Europe, especially France and Spain.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:46 pm

@ Stuart

You got me confused about SMB2. Your article says (to me atleast) that Nintendo made Doki Doki Panic easier for its western release because it would be too hard for us. And you also don't give an explanation why Doki was used instead of the real SMB2.

I was under the impression that Nintendo believed that the real SMB2 was too hard for us and thus used Doki for the western SMB2 with changed sprites. I never heard about gameplay changes made to Doki.

Could you maybe help me understand it all? :D

Also, you said something about an Arabian Doki Doki panic?!

Stuart@retrogamer

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:03 am

hydr0x wrote:@ Stuart

You got me confused about SMB2. Your article says (to me atleast) that Nintendo made Doki Doki Panic easier for its western release because it would be too hard for us. And you also don't give an explanation why Doki was used instead of the real SMB2.

I was under the impression that Nintendo believed that the real SMB2 was too hard for us and thus used Doki for the western SMB2 with changed sprites. I never heard about gameplay changes made to Doki.

Could you maybe help me understand it all? :D

Also, you said something about an Arabian Doki Doki panic?!

No worries man. Although likewise I'm a little confused as to what it is you're actually asking me to clear up. I’ll have a stab at it anyway. The point I was making is that Doki Doki Panic (in my opinion) is a harder game to finish than SMB2 - for one, you have to complete the game with every character to see the ending. Also its name, Doki Doki Panic, kinda hints to this thinking.

Anywho, for the US and European release of Doki Doki panic Nintendo decided to switch the characters in the game for those in SMB, make the game slightly easier, while still keeping Doki's ‘Arabian’ looks and gameplay.

I hope that clears up the confusion. Let me know if it doesn't. If you want to know why Nintendo made Doki Doki panic instead of simply putting all their efforts and resources into making SMB2, I’m afraid you’ll have to speak to them ;)

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:09 am

Ah I see, so you did indeed mean that they changed more than just the graphics for its western release. I didn't know that, so thanks a lot :)

I've read several times that Nintendo decided not to release the real SMB2 outside Japan because of it's difficulty. And then you mentioned the changed the difficulty for the western release of Doki. That got me confused as I didn't know whether you actually meant that (which you did) or just had mixed up things yourself ;)

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:35 pm

Another American who read this issue a couple weeks ago here:

Loved it. This is easily one of the best issues of Retro Gamer in a long time. Star Wars, Klax, Streets of Rage 2, Eye of the Beholder - all spot-on.

Really, really good stuff.

Keep it up!

Tabe

p.s. Count me in the "man, that cover sucked" camp - way too pixellated.