What's Your Favorite Driving/Racing Game Ever?

Discuss the games of yesteryear while feeling all fuzzy inside.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Sephiroth81

Re: What's Your Favorite Driving/Racing Game Ever?

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:50 am

Forza Series (still need to play the Xbone versions though)
Outrun 2/Coast to Coast
Super Mario Kart - SNES
Super Cars 2 - Amiga
F-Zero - SNES
Micro Machines series

Lesser but honourable mentions as i played them so much at the time :

Gran Turismo 1, 3 and 4 - PS1/PS2
F1 Pole Position - SNES
Nitro - Amiga
Daytona USA (arcade and DC)
Crazy Taxi - DC
Sega Rally 1/2 (Arcade and DC)

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:02 pm

Honestly, too many to list completely, probably my favourite genre, arcade racers at least.
Series wise, I'd still happily play any F-Zero game for hours, Mario Kart has been consistently good, Wipeout, any Sega arcade racers. OutRun and sequels are probably my favourite racers ever, and I'd murder for an anthology that included OutRunners.
Currently back into Daytona on 360, playing tons of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Fast Racing Neo is a bloody impressive F-Zero clone, enjoyed Driveclub massively, Sega Rally 360 was massively under rated, and I've just picked up Dirt Rally, not having played a pure Rally game since McRae on PS1.
Also love top-down stuff, Super Sprint, Super Off-Road, Rock n Roll Racing etc, sank a ton of time into Mantis Burn Racing, and Blaze Rush has been a nice little surprise.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:56 am

The Need For Speed: Porsche Unleashed, PC version. Here's a review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKk2ueSGKE0

I enjoyed many more, but thisone was the one that I enjoyed the most.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:14 am

I loved Porsche Unleashed, it seemed miles ahead of any competition. Great mix of tracks with a lot of variety. Very detailed for its time, though ageing now.

One of the few games I've enjoyed online multiplayer with too, especially since there were no unfair advantages for seasoned players beyond a bit of skill having learned the tracks, there's no power ups or car upgrades to get in the way of an even playing field regardless of how long you've played.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:39 pm

Yep, it had a great driving model which was not a "strict" simulator but also not a full-on arcade, almost every Porsche car made, a "historic" and "factory driver" mode which felt refreshing, great tracks that looked far from some dull (sorry but it's true :wink: ) real-life raceways and nice visuals and sound for the time. It was also basically the only simmy NFS game (with a possible exception being the "Shift" games which were mediocre imo), as all the other NFS games in the series were far more arcadey, and arguably, became very generic and watered down racers that are simply uninteresting to more demanding racing game players.

If there's a racing game that should be re-released on GoG, this is the one (and also the Geoff Crammond Grand Prix series and Grand Prix Legends, but that's sadly unlikely due to car licensing issues).

davyK

Post by davyK » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:19 pm

Arcade racers for me. Don't really like attempts at realism or games with too many options for tweaking with setups.

F-Zero X is still top of my tree but hot on its heels in no particular are :

Outrun (on Saturn and Coast to Coast on PS2)
Daytona (360 and Dreamcast)
Sega Rally (have played a lot of this on Saturn. I think the Forest stage is candidate for best track in any game)
Mario Kart (original and DD are my favourites. MK Wii online was great)
F Zero GX

Also enjoy these from time to time:

Micro Machines (prob. '96 on MD is the highlight)
SF Rush on Dreamcast
Super Monaco GP on Megadrive
SNES F-Zero
Manx TT superbike on Saturn (needs the 3D controller and with 1st person view)
Sega Rally 2 on DC The 360 game is great but I find it extremely tough and need to spend more time with it
Super Hang On (MD)
Suzuki Alstare Racing on Dreamcast (bit of a hidden gem this. Comical collisions but great steering using the analogue triggers)

Non-"driving" race games I enjoy:
Hydro Thunder on DC
1080 (N64 and GC)
Waverace (ditto)
Excitebike 64

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:26 am

^ Big fan of good arcade racers too, but always had mixed feelings about racing games that looked realistic but played like arcades.

Let's say something like Outrun 2 still flys, but it's also really stylish, the typical "blue sky" Sega racer, and then you have things like modern NFS games which look visually pretty realistic but play like they were made for three years olds who can win them by just holding the gas button.

Comparatively, something like F-Zero or Outrun requires quite a bit more skill to get good at.

Fairly speaking, pretty much all Arcade racers in those times were really tough, a far cry from today's "hold button to win" game design school.

You might be interested in this vid from Digital Foundry Retro in regards to Wave Race 64, as they are exploring the subject of water rendering in games.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:43 am

Interesting video, a series I'll now be following and digging into the back catalogue.

PS1Snake

Post by PS1Snake » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:24 pm

It's probably PGR3.

I miss Bizarre Creations.

Cafeman

Post by Cafeman » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:22 am

I enjoy a lot of them. My favorite ever? Probably sit-down coinop Pole Position. Then Daytona USA, and 3rd is SEGA Super GT / Scud Race.

RichPT

Post by RichPT » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:34 pm

Mine are Outrun (Arcade/Saturn), F-Zero (SFC/SNES) and Burnout 3 (Xbox)

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:39 pm

GENE RALLY
a lovely little arcade racer that i also used for simming with
how does SEVEN HOURS for FUR DAYS in a WEEK sound to you?
thankfully not that long for the rest of them thank gawd

i went through hundreds of tracks, editing them to make them better in their race line, and picking the best ones to use
collected as many drivers as i could find, and raced them all!

GRAN TURISMO 1+2
apart from vice city, this was a game i bought my PS1 for, i never cared about the more realistic driving games until then

CART fury championship
discovered the arcade machine on holiday and couldn't stop playing it, it's madness really
then i got the PS2 port :mrgreen:

SEGA RALLY
brilliant arcade racer, although i got a sega saturn just to play this too, and i almost beat the arcade game ..... THE VERY LAST CORNER ON THE BONUS TRACK DAMMIT i was that close

OUTRUN
nothing else to say really :P

POWERSLIDE
lovely little game that i was also quite good at :lol:

BURNOUT3 TAKEDOWN
liked the racing part more than the crashing ..... is that wrong???

CARMAGEDDON
who doesn't like running down hundreds of people zombies and cows zombie cows, then dying an a horrible wreck?

SUPER SPRINT / CHAMPIONSHIP / SUPER OFF ROAD / INDY HEAT
and back to the single screen arcade racers, SOR on the spectrum helped me through the agony of having braces in the eighties!

FATAL RACING / DESTRUCTION DERBY / FLATOUT / WRECKFEST
MIDTOWN MADNESS / MOTORSTORM
RE VOLT / HARD DRIVING (only in the arcade)
STUNT CAR RACER / V RALLY / CHASE HQ (spectrum) / GEOFF CRAMMONDS GRAND PRIX SERIES

3D STOCK CAR / 3D GRAND PRIX on the spectrum
ALL TERRAIN RACING on the amiga, pity a game called THE BIG END never got released .....

the first TOCA RACING on the PS1, hilarious when you put in the cheat codes and watch the carnage :D

and RIDGE RACER were i completed it

and some game with karts in it .....