Films you REALLY wanted to see at the cinema?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

pottyboy

Films you REALLY wanted to see at the cinema?

Post by pottyboy » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:27 am

Just looked up the times to see if Beowulf is still on and it isn't showing at any of the local cinemas! AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: Ever since my brother went to see it with his girlfriend when it came out last month and told me it was great I was really looking forward to seeing it but college work assignments began rolling in so I have been unable to visit the cinema until now, but none of the local cinemas are showing it! What really upsets me though is that they are still showing Stardust which has been out for longer!!! OK so I can wait for the DVD release of Beowulf but (judging by the trailers) it just won't be the same watching it on my tiny little 42" HD TV with Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. :( There's two reasons why I want to see it... the gold dragon and Angelina Jolie in the (near) nude :)

So it came to mind for me to bring up this new topic... what films did you really wanted to see or wished you had seen at the cinema?

Jurassic Park is another film that I wished I had seen at the cinema. I did have the choice of seeing it at the cinema, but being only six years old I had seen the ad on TV and found it a little scary, so I opted not to go and see it. Nowadays I sit there watching it on DVD, hands across my face, saying "Why the hell did I not go and see this at the cinema?! This is such a great film!"

EDIT: Oh blast! Meant to post this in 'Off Topic'. Please feel free to move

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

The Master

Post by The Master » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:05 am

I'd like to see the trippy bit from 2001 in the cinema...

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:42 am

Comedy "Debbie does Dallas" option.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:36 pm

Dudley wrote:Comedy "Debbie does Dallas" option.
Deep Throat perhaps? I'd have liked to have seen 300 and Sin City at the cinemas, both great looking films that need a massive screen not my 14" portable :D
Splink!

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:01 pm

would have loved to have seen the first three Star Wars movies. but being as i was born in '82, i wouldn't have known what the hell they were.

another was Transformers. those special effects looked amazong but to see them on a big screen.....my eyes would have melted......
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:02 pm

I was young/old enough to see Satr wars at the pics first time around
It was an awesome experience
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:04 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:I was young/old enough to see Satr wars at the pics first time around

....................bastard.............. :cry:
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:04 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:I was young/old enough to see Satr wars at the pics first time around
Same here, it made it even more awe inspiring being only 4 at the time.
Splink!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:58 pm

Me too. Changed my world. Before Star Wars, the world was a small place. Suddenly it was a universe full of galaxies and exciting ones at that.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:11 am

First film I ever saw at the cinema and we were supposed to be seeing Pinnoccio I think but it was full so we saw Starwars instead. My mum was gutted. She has hated the film ever since. I remember going to the loo in the middle of the film and asking her to tell me what happened while I was away. I think her answer was 'I haven't understood a single thing since 'a long time ago...'

Like others have said, it change my world (as much as a 5 year olds world can change anyway)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:10 am

Trying to think of films I wish I'd seen at the cinema, I suppose 2001 would have been good, as would Blade Runner (saw that first on video, though saw Director's Cut in cinema years later).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:51 pm

I'd like to have seen Wrath Of Khan & Starship Troopers at the pics

I DID see Jaws (underage!) and Superman 1 , which are about 100 times more atmospheric for being viewed in a cinema
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:17 pm

Mine to would be Star Wars, I was around in 77 (a spritely 7 yrs old!) but my parents never took me to see it.

Not bitter and twisted at all... :evil:

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:53 pm

Wrath Of Khaaaaaaaaaan!
Thats another one! the battle in the nebula was made for the cinema, especially in surround sound.

from hells heart, i stab at thee........you've started me off, now!!!!

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:00 pm

Aliens. It's the only "Alien" film I haven't seen at the cinema, and it's my favourite film of all time.

"The Terminator" is another I never saw.

I was too young when they were out.