Pinball Machine Article?

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Emperor_Megatron

Pinball Machine Article?

Post by Emperor_Megatron » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:08 pm

Now, before I get strung up, drawn and quartered, and other nasty stuff for mentioning this, just consider, I know it's strictly not a "retro gaming" thing (well I think it is) but why not an article on good old pinnies?

I mean, they outdate electronic gaming machines by decades and it could even be split up into different "time and theme" parts, like the "History of Videogaming" 3 parter article from the old Retro Gamer.

Parts like the early pre flipper years, the post war/first flippers to electromechanical "reel slot" machines, and finally the modern fully electronic ones, finishing with a nice quick look at some of the newest Pinballs, like Spiderman and Family Guy.

I've always been a HUGE fan of pinballs, and I've worked for a while in the arcade/pinball industry as well, which put me up close and inside some pinballs. They're really awesomely intricate things, and NO video game is ever going to be able to emulate them (No, not even Metroid Pinball, no matter how fantastical it is)

I'm even building a faux "display" Transformers pinball machine with one of the two old 70's Gottlieb pinball body shells I have out in the garage. You know, because they're just sitting there and there was never a Transformers Pinball.

Cripes, I could turn out a article on them just off the top of my head. I'm sure with a decent amount of research and fact finding there could be a decent article made by someone. Mind you, I sit and read and suck up information like a vacuum cleaner.

I don't know, it's just always bugged me that RG has never really mentioned Pinballs, apart from Archer Macleans two Video Pinball Hybrids that he bought and then sold.

I think a LOT of people would be surprised about some of the things about Pinballs, like how it was 20 or so years from their creation to when someone thought to put flippers in them, and then it took another 7-10 years to put them around the "right" way. How you could buy "Conversion Kits", very much like the mods we see today for FPS's and such. Hell some pinballs even had projector screens in the middle of the table, and moving figures both in the head (behind and/or on the backglass) and on the table itself.

And, just like many of our favourite retro consoles, a bunch of bad ideas, terrible marketing and just plain stupidity and bad luck caused the demise of the Pinball Empire.
Just like the 1983 Videogame Crash.

Except it wasn't video games.
And it wasn't in 1983.
Okay so it's not like that at all.
("Cluck"-Ed) it.
Yesterday.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:28 pm

But it was America. Just like the 1983 crash that didn't hit us ;)

Somewhere, there's a great long discussion (and a poll iirc) about pinball's inclusion in the mag. The majority were against it as its not videogaming and RG is a videogaming mag.

Personally I'm indifferent, though I'd rather read about electromechanical arcade games (like the shooting galleries) than just pinball alone.

If you are looking for a mag with a heavy pinball bias, I can highly recommend GameRoom magazine:
http://www.gameroommagazine.com/
I've had a sub to that which has just ended. While I enjoyed it, there was too much pinball and not nearly enough vids for my tastes. Serious pinball fans will love it though.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:10 pm

Can't say I would be particularly interested in Pinball content.

Emperor_Megatron

Post by Emperor_Megatron » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:00 pm

You know, I get the feeling at this point I'm supposed to get all anal and mention that since Retro Gamer is about Retro Gaming, that Pinball technically counts, and secondly, that there has been PLENTY of stuff in the magazine that hasn't interested me in the slightest. And about how some stuff is constantly gone on about.

Hmmm, I could probably elaborate on that second point, and get all anal, but you know....meh.

Oh I know, I'll put in a token effort.
*insert whinging rant about pinball and interests and the like*

Hey, I know, since there was an article on board games based on video games, you could do one about Pinballs based on video games.
You know, like Space Invaders, the three or so Mario ones, Spy Hunter, ummmmmmmmmm, I think theres two Pac Man ones.
Hmmmm.
Okay, so it'd be a short article then ;)

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:21 pm

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't cancel my subscription if they did cover them, but to me it would be just like covering Fruit Machines

Emperor_Megatron

Post by Emperor_Megatron » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:27 pm

Okay, THAT officially shits me.

Let it be officially stated, that I am shitted by the gentlemen's remark.

But still, a token effort
*insert angry rant about how pinballs are actually a bit of fun, whereas fruit machines are just plain shithouse*

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:32 pm

It wasn't a comparison of Pinball with Fruit Machines, it was a comparison of the links that they have to videogames.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:17 pm

SirClive wrote:It wasn't a comparison of Pinball with Fruit Machines, it was a comparison of the links that they have to videogames.
Since "Retro Gamer" is not "Retro Computing" (as have been pointed out to me), when did "Retro Gamer" become "Retro Videogamer"?
Nobody informed me.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:55 am

NorthWay wrote:
SirClive wrote:It wasn't a comparison of Pinball with Fruit Machines, it was a comparison of the links that they have to videogames.
Since "Retro Gamer" is not "Retro Computing" (as have been pointed out to me), when did "Retro Gamer" become "Retro Videogamer"?
Nobody informed me.
Shall we start covering football then? That's just a game?
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:52 am

NorthWay wrote:
Nobody informed me.
Why should you be informed?

Nitters

Post by Nitters » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:35 am

I think Pinball/Other electro-mechanical content would be quite apt. Afterall, this is what the likes of Sega, Namco, Brent, Bally, Williams and a whole host of other current (and sadly deceased) video game makers did before the video game era.
#define QUESTION ((bb) | !(bb)) - Shakespeare.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:04 am

There's a pinball themed article in the next edition of the magazine.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:17 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:There's a pinball themed article in the next edition of the magazine.
That's us told then :oops:

Video, mechanical or both?

And if we're doing that can we get some of the other stuff covered. I want to see the old mechanical racing games (scalextric style) and shooting machines, not forgetting the 'plane on a rotating wire' flight games.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:51 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:There's a pinball themed article in the next edition of the magazine.
Booooooooooooooooo!

:wink:

Tellah

Post by Tellah » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:18 am

I love pinball and can't wait to read the article. Anyone that loves classic retro gameplay is doing themselves an injustice by dismissing it. It's the same hook you get from Arkanoid, Missile Command, Space Invaders IMO. That's why they've always sat side by side in the arcades. More modern machines take it to another level. Superb stuff.