Weekend Gamer Radio Show - Out Now

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:12 pm

Yes we used the PC to chat over 'tinternet and then edited it all together with a few free audio software packages, in keeping with the "next to nothing budget" the Weekend gamer shows use :)

As I said it's different to the TV show, more free flowing chat with some cool tunes (hopefully). Enjoy...

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:54 am

We have deliberately marketed our show to a different audience than Shane Monroe's Retro Gaming Radio, which means that the show is shorter, will be more frequent (we hope) and as I hope you can tell from the first show (and particularly the Wii bit) the emphasis is purely on fun.

So if you have listened to RGR and its not for you, try us out.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:46 am

I concur. Its nowt like RGR. For starters its British, as can be seen by the game choices and its very much banter between two friends discussing what they've been playing and what they'd like to play. Similar to some extent to the Player 1 vs Player 2 podcast that used to be produced, though less formal.

Just finished listening to this episode and its a corker. I have some comments to add, but I'll keep Opa-Opa happy and do so on the WG forum later.

Does episode 2 come with a limited edition controller? ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:12 am

Antiriad2097 wrote: Just finished listening to this episode and its a corker. I have some comments to add, but I'll keep Opa-Opa happy and do so on the WG forum later.

Thanks for that. I was starting to think people thought it was poop but were too polite to say :)

Look foward to seeing your comments, always nice to know what people think..

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:21 am

Out of curiosity, has Dudley given his considered opinion on your Forza 2 experience? ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:24 am

Not yet...
I not sure Dudley has time for homemade TV and Audio shows, that or he just don't like the Weekend Gamer stuff ;)

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:55 am

I'm not a big fan of amateur TV so I've never watched any WG.

That said I can guess what his experience is, it'd be roughly the same as my experience with 99% of RPGs.

Opa doesn't like driving games involving skill, I don't like turn based combat, That's great, if we all thought the same we'd probably do something really stupid like banning entire games because we don't like their genre or think they're "too violent" or something.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:21 am

Dudley wrote:I'm not a big fan of amateur TV so I've never watched any WG.

That said I can guess what his experience is, it'd be roughly the same as my experience with 99% of RPGs.

Opa doesn't like driving games involving skill, I don't like turn based combat, That's great, if we all thought the same we'd probably do something really stupid like banning entire games because we don't like their genre or think they're "too violent" or something.
:) Always make me smile Dud's....

I can understand not enjoying amateur TV, I know WGTV is not some amazing must watch show, but your off target on my thoughts on Forza 1 + 2 and my love of driving games that require a bit of skill..
I thought that Forza 1 was a great game, not the amazing ground breaking title that other people belive to be the case but it was 100x better than any of the Sony GT games for me.
I prefer the Codemasters TOCA/McRea games if I want to play a game that needs a degree of skill though.

Give WG-Ax a go if you have an portable MP3 player and 35mins to kill, even if you don't like my bits you can always fast foward to SirClive's stuff ;)

Wildnites

Post by Wildnites » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:45 am

I have downloaded the show and put it onto a CD, I will be listening to it on the way home :)

I will leave feedback as soon as I can.
Please Sir I cannot tell a lie......

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:56 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:I concur. Its nowt like RGR. For starters its British, as can be seen by the game choices and its very much banter between two friends discussing what they've been playing and what they'd like to play. Similar to some extent to the Player 1 vs Player 2 podcast that used to be produced, though less formal.

Just finished listening to this episode and its a corker. I have some comments to add, but I'll keep Opa-Opa happy and do so on the WG forum later.

Well Antiriad is notorious for his honest and constructive criticism/praise of Weekend Gamer TV, so it's fantastic to hear that you like it mate :D

Any feedback will be great as, like you said, it is just 2 mates chatting. But we try to keep it structured whilst staying fun.

Freshmetal

Post by Freshmetal » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:37 pm

Just listened to this for the second time (listened to it late last night, but didn't have a chance to post). Very good, I enjoyed it a lot. I like the two-man format and the "down the pub" style chat, it's far easier to listen to than some of the more fanboyish gaming podcasts. Another one to put on my PSP I think, I look forward to the next one.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:51 pm

Funny you should mention the "down the pub" style as it is a term that has been used a couple of times.
Glad you enjoyed it. Hopefully the next one shouldn't be too long....

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:22 am

We had also had a few beers when we recorded the first bit (well I know I did anyway).

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:32 am

Well I didn't want us to sound like a couple of drunks but I had one or two very small bottles of beer... ;)

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:56 pm

Opa's dressing room. Yesterday.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com