Does anyone look at the bonus DVDs?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

oldtimer

Does anyone look at the bonus DVDs?

Post by oldtimer » Wed May 19, 2021 3:09 am

Ive got 1000s of DVDs ive collected over the years , many of them with bonus DVDs .
Does anyone watch them ? i admit its rare that i do unless its a film i am really into.
Do you get a "bonus DVD" if you just download a film nowadays? ive never actually downloaded or streamed a film as i prefer the physical media.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

RetroBob

Re: Does anyone look at the bonus DVDs?

Post by RetroBob » Wed May 19, 2021 5:26 am

I do definitely for films I love, Terminator 2, Aliens, BTTF etc. I don't tend to buy films to stream, only rent but I seem to recall there being bonus content on some high profile films.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Sat May 22, 2021 6:32 am

I tend to watch them on 2x speed. There are some great insights on some bonus DVDs. I like the commentary on deleted scenes, as it's often interesting why they were cut. Some of the Tom Cruise stuff related to the stunts he does in the M:I films is mad.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat May 22, 2021 3:16 pm

I used to watch them if the movie was one of my favourites.

I used to like hunting down the 2-disc editions of my favourites just to go deeper and watch the interviews and all that. All gone these days though! Extras for DVDs all disappeared when they became the cheap, poor version of Blu-Rays (which used to have loads of bonuses) and publishers stopped making 2-disc DVDs.

Don't get me started on DVD's that just have the trailer under "Special Features"!!!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon May 24, 2021 10:49 am

I say this a lot when it comes to bonus DVDs, but the Monty Python and the holy grail one has a bit to much content.
From subtitles from Richard the 3rd (for people that dont like the film) to it yelling at you to "Get on with it" if you are on the menu to long

keedor

Post by keedor » Tue May 25, 2021 6:02 pm

I generally do not go out looking for bonus content on DVDs and Blu-ray films, only for those I really enjoy. If two-disc versions are somewhere selling for around the same price as the single disc, which tends to happen a lot when shops have sales, then I always purchase the one with the added content.

When there are bonus discs and Special Features I will always look at them. Some have loads though, and on many I have barely scratched the surface, for I am not one to see EVERY minute of bonus content after watching a film. Usually I will go back to them and see more several months down the line. Prime examples on Blu-ray for me are The Lord Of The Rings : Extended Editions and Gladiator.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:08 am

I always look at the deleted scenes but they seem to be on the main disc ,thats probably another reason why i dont look at the bonus discs.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

icemann

Post by icemann » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:17 am

I watched them when I bought them. Not since then however.

ulrich7ad

Post by ulrich7ad » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:10 pm

I watched plenty in the early days of dvd, notit so much now as I don't have time. They were hit and miss though. A lot of Doc's were just fluff pieces, there to tick a marketing box. Then you had stuff like lotr which swamped you with stuff. The red dwarf ones were good though. Very honest and with the whole cast and some crew it made for interesting viewing.