FAVOURITE TOTAL WAR GAME?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

keedor

FAVOURITE TOTAL WAR GAME?

Post by keedor » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:55 pm

With a long history of Total War games behind them, the Creative Assembly has produced some of the best strategy games on the market, spanning numerous conflicts and even the fantasy genre.

What is everyone's favourite of the franchise?

Mine is undoubtedly NAPOLEON which, although a decade old now, still holds high appeal for me. This was the one I purchased on the day of release and I downloaded Darthmod for it several years ago and have not looked back since.

Perhaps I am somewhat biased as I have always had a keen interest in the period (thanks to the likes of David Chandler and Richard Holmes) while even today still feel that nothing beats a good cavalry charge or infantry square in the midst of battle!

Matt_B

Re: FAVOURITE TOTAL WAR GAME?

Post by Matt_B » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:10 pm

Napoleon is certainly a good one. It cops a lot of flak from fans of Empire for being a considerably less ambitious follow-up, but what it loses in scope is more than made up for by the increased focus on what the series does best. Oh, and not randomly crashing is always a plus too.

On the whole, I think I'd still hold up Rome and Medieval 2 - basically the same engine but with different campaigns - as being the best. There's much to like about the subsequent games too, but there's always been a bit of a trade-off between genuinely interesting new features and mere bloat since then.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:03 am

What was the one used on telly? That would have to be my favourite, having watched but never played any of the games.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:12 am

Time Commanders used an early version of Rome. The full game wasn't released until after the first series had aired.

I think there was at least one other TV series that featured the games though.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:10 pm

Great question!

For me it's Medieval Total War - Viking Invasion.

I think that's an amazing expansion pack!

The whole post Roman/Dark Age period of Britain is an obsession with me, so it's great to be able to fight battles in that era for me.

2nd place would probably be tied between ROME II and Britannia, for much the same reasons.
Press Play On Tape