What was #1 the week you were born?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

English Invader

What was #1 the week you were born?

Post by English Invader » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:07 am

I'm wondering if there are other people who are sad enough to know the song that topped the charts in the week they were born. Do you like the song? And do you feel the song says anything about you as a person?

For me, it's Shakin' Stevens, Green Door which was released July 17th 1981. It's a 50s cover about an exclusive club that the singer is excluded from and he imagines what it's like inside:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8u7ySQXB60

It seems fitting that the song is a nostalgic cover since I'm quite a nostalgic person myself. Shaky's career was mostly based on trying to bring the 50s into the 80s and I've spent most of my adult life trying to bring the 70s and 80s into the new millennium (I play my music on a pair of 46 year old speakers and have a home full of old computers and game consoles).

If I had been born a couple of months earlier it would have been Ghost Town from The Specials which would have been a cool one to have but I'm happy with this one.

Please share if you know your song or don't have much difficulty finding out but please refrain from negative comments about the pop charts (that's not what this thread is about).

MattySlug

Re: What was #1 the week you were born?

Post by MattySlug » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:43 am

Cash Box:
"The Wild Boys" Duran Duran
or
"Like a Virgin" Madonna

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:58 am

As I posted elsewhere, and trying to answer the question beyond just the song as you suggested most people do (not having a go at Matty)...

I'm stuck with the rather twee All Kinds of Everything by Dana. I suppose it's an inoffensive little tune, but quite dated and not my sort of thing at all, I don't really relate to it in any way. I guess there's the potential to say I don't get it because it's a song about love and feelings and whatnot, but the delivery is so insipid it's hard to believe there's any emotion behind the words. I get the intent, but it fails to deliver.

A week later and I'd have got Norman Greenbaum's Spirit in the Sky. Far from a fave, but at least it has a bit of life about it and some great guitar sounds.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Djones73

Post by Djones73 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:30 pm

I was born in September 1973 and the song at number one on the week i was born was Eye Level by The Simon Park Orchestra. Instrumental t.v theme tune to a show called Van Der Valk. Some cop show set in Holland apparently. Happy enough with that as quite a catchy little number.
Could have been a lot worse as Gary Glitter had 2 different number ones in 1973. :shock:
On a side note i have a photo of me and my twin brother in hospital after being born with 70's rock singer Suzi Quatro standing next to us on a hospital visit. Meeting someone famous just after being born. Not a bad way to enter the world. :D