The Great Tekken 3 Mystery

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Nazaradine

The Great Tekken 3 Mystery

Post by Nazaradine » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:56 pm

Hey all!

First time post and I’m hoping you guys can solve a great mystery - or at least put my mind at rest that I didn’t imagine it.

So, Tekken 3 or possibly Tekken Tag Tournanent. My buddies and I were absolutely obsessed with it. We found this huge file online in the days of the baby internet which had literally every move in it and studied it religiously- we even called it the Bible. We played this game A LOT.

One night something happened though that never happened again. We were scrolling through the character select screen and instead of the little chirp or ding or whatever it was sound effect when you moved to another character, the sound effect changed to a high-pitched voice saying ‘you lose’ every time you moved to another character portrait. Once we quit the screen and came back, it was gone.

Ever happen to anyone else? It was really weird - so much so that I (obviously) still remember it

gunbladelad

Re: The Great Tekken 3 Mystery

Post by gunbladelad » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:38 pm

To me it just sounds like the Playstation was likely just reading the wrong sound sample for some reason.
Where logic won't work, I will

Nazaradine

Re: The Great Tekken 3 Mystery

Post by Nazaradine » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:14 am

Could be - but if it was, the sample was also distorted as the sound wasn’t as it appears in the game