Best version of Battle Chess or even chess game in general?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Sega2006

Best version of Battle Chess or even chess game in general?

Post by Sega2006 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:13 am

Was wondering peoples opinions on this, keep meaning to get back into playing chess as I've got several sets and boxes of Chessmen however I'm rusty as hell and only really have myself to play as the Dog just looks at the board and considers which piece to chew rather than move.

Obviously theres 10 million app games aout there and Chess.com but Ithought I'd lookforalaugh while doing it and I remember good old Battle chess from years ago andsureenough it even popped up in one of the many Youtube vids, I know the version I would have played was PC/DOS as this was pre Saturn days, but whats your thoughts?
Watching you sleep since 1990

Antiriad2097

Re: Best version of Battle Chess or even chess game in general?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:01 am

Battle Chess and its sequels/updates are on GoG:
https://www.gog.com/game/battle_chess_special_edition

Bit pricey at 9 quid, but at least you know it will run.

iirc there was a Star Wars chess game in a similar vein, though my memory is vague, I could be making that up.

Deviating slightly, have you considered Archon? It's a sort of chessy boardgame, but with player controlled battles to take squares.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:53 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:01 am
Battle Chess and its sequels/updates are on GoG:
https://www.gog.com/game/battle_chess_special_edition

Bit pricey at 9 quid, but at least you know it will run.

iirc there was a Star Wars chess game in a similar vein, though my memory is vague, I could be making that up.

Deviating slightly, have you considered Archon? It's a sort of chessy boardgame, but with player controlled battles to take squares.
I'll look Archon and Star wars up, I was thinking more the emulation route than going GOG atm as yeah thats not cheap but it may end up a sale later down the line knowing them.

merman

Post by merman » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:58 am

Colossus Chess series were good, the later ones (from 4 onwards) had a nice 3D-ish board view similar to Battle Chess
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:06 am

merman wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:58 am
Colossus Chess series were good, the later ones (from 4 onwards) had a nice 3D-ish board view similar to Battle Chess
Ran a search on it, there is a modern free to play version mentioned on it's Wiki but I cannot find it any where currently, 2 and 4 pops up a lot but they are pretty much like the Chess.com version.
It's not so much the viewpoint that I'm looking for, its where something happens to make the moves sink in, thats why I was thinking about Battle chess as you get the funny animation each time and it might make it more memorable.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:04 am

I loved Battle chess on the PC would play that at college.. Never liked the design on some of the characters on the 3D0 Battlechess the redesign pawns looked terrible.

There was a Star Wars chess game on the Mega CD not sure what it’s like
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:55 am

Archon is a brilliant game, but the only similarity to chess is that it is played on a similar looking board. Still well worth playing, but (imho) avoid Archon II.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:33 am

Shinobi wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:04 am
I loved Battle chess on the PC would play that at college.. Never liked the design on some of the characters on the 3D0 Battlechess the redesign pawns looked terrible.

There was a Star Wars chess game on the Mega CD not sure what it’s like
I've probably got it on an old Roms compliation if it was on CD, keep meaning to find the disc as been playing alot of cards and I know Cesaers palace is on it and pokers one I've always meant to learn.
The Battle Chess I remember probably was PC as my Grandad used to get retired PCs from his work as a kid and my Dad was always getting bootlegs to play or going to PC fairs to pick stuff up, I've never seen the 3DO version though as no one I knew had a 3DO and its not one I've emulated either.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:36 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:55 am
Archon is a brilliant game, but the only similarity to chess is that it is played on a similar looking board. Still well worth playing, but (imho) avoid Archon II.
I'll still give it a crack as it's something to do, I know board games arent generally my thing bar Chess and some of the other classic games but I'll give everything a try once.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:38 pm

I've been having the exact same thoughts in regards of getting back in to playing Chess.

I recently bought a board/set, but can only remember a very basic game.

As far as Battle Chess goes, I have very fond memories of playing this on DOS back in the early 90's and I especially liked the way the old King would take his time moving to his new square!
Press Play On Tape

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:15 pm

SpecChum81 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:38 pm
I've been having the exact same thoughts in regards of getting back in to playing Chess.

I recently bought a board/set, but can only remember a very basic game.

As far as Battle Chess goes, I have very fond memories of playing this on DOS back in the early 90's and I especially liked the way the old King would take his time moving to his new square!
I've had several sets over the years and even have some boxes of chessman that seem to be circa the 1950's (never fully date checked them though as the aren't worth anything really), I've been browsing ebay looking at the old chess computers recently though as I remember seeing them as a kid and being amazed (quite how I dont know as they didnt move the pieces or anything).
Definately would like one of those vintage Chessboard tables someday though with maybe some Isle of Lewis pieces or something but for now I'll stick with the wooden folding set as my fancy set.