SNES multi out not working

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

antoin

SNES multi out not working

Post by antoin » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:58 am

Hi guys,

First post here.
RF works no problem. Tried 2 different AV/multi-out cables and none work, on two different TVs as well.
Have Sega MegaDrives on the same composite ports on both TVs and they work fine, so it's definitely the multi out port on the SNES.
I've tried cleaning the contacts on the Multi Out port with isopropyl alcohol and q-tips/cotton buds, but still no signal from it.
Any ideas?
Do I have to open it up and do a trace on it? not very good with circuit boards personally but up for trying!

Thanks

RetroBob

Re: SNES multi out not working

Post by RetroBob » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:03 pm

Could be a knackered transistor? Not that I would really know to be honest mate - if it was no power at all then that would likely be the fuse... changing that is really the extent of my ability at the moment.

I think it's worth testing as you suggested at the end.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

antoin

Post by antoin » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:28 pm

Thanks for replying RetroBob. Not sure if it is that, but might delve into it and have a look anyway. It all works fine apart from the multi out. I can kinda live with just having RF, but I want the better picture quality from the multi out ideally

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:54 pm

Are you using composite or RGB AV cables for SNES? I'm guessing composite, since you say you use the same ports for MD on the TV.

Wondering if maybe the TV wasn't recognising an RGB input or vice versa, getting a bit confused if you were using a scart input.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

antoin

Post by antoin » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:56 am

Composite from the multi out- the yellow, white and red cables from the Multi out. RF works perfectly
I'm using the 9 PIN AV out port on the Mega Drive which can support SCART and composite connections, both composite and SCART work perfectly, the TV receives the signal from composite no problem.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:37 am

NB: SCART can do both RGB AND composite, depending on the cable. Some are only wired for one or the other. Some TVs can be iffy with it too, depending whether the voltage switch is wired (even then some won't detect it).

Got a GameCube or N64 you can try with the SNES cables? That might help pin it down to a problem with the cables or the SNES itself.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

antoin

Post by antoin » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:19 am

but I've tried two different TVs with two different multi out AV cables and they don't work, so it must be the AV port.
Just wondering if anyone know of any fixes for multi out ports on the SNES. I'm already 100% certain it's the port.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:10 am

I'd agree it's probably the SNES at fault here, but with only one system to test against there's a small chance it isn't.

I've a vague memory there's some minor variation in the types of cables that can cause an issue, an inline resistor or something that may or may not be present.