Less known retro computers to discover

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

demon

Less known retro computers to discover

Post by demon » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:44 am

What are in your opinion some less known retro computers of the 80s (or even older) that might be interesting to discover?

I've noticed there are emulators for almost anything nowadays, and I'm thinking about trying out some niche systems such as BBC Micro, Atari 800, ORIC Tangerine, TI/99, Jupiter ACE... anyone familiar with these? Any games for those still worth playing after all this time? :lol: I am particularly interested if there are games unique to these systems.

Feel free to suggest other less known computers you might have in mind. Consoles are also ok, as long as they are at least 25 years old.

NorthWay

Re: Less known retro computers to discover

Post by NorthWay » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:40 am

The French Thomson(sp?) range of 6809 machines. Uses AFAIK the same gfx chip as the CPC.
I have odd soft spots for the ADAM, Memotech, Enterprise, Atari 7800.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:17 am

I wouldn't call the Beeb, Atari or TI-99 niche, they were pretty mainstream at the time before everyone moved to Spectrums and C64s (and those few unfortunates lumbered with CPCs).

Oric Tangerine would be niche, since it doesn't exist. Tangerine was the company, producing the Oric 1, Atmos and Telestrat. The first two are fairly popular (Telestrat less so), to the extent they still have a following knocking out games. Most of these, and discussion around the Oric and development for it, can be found at the Defence Force website and forum:
http://defence-force.org/index.php?page=games

Oric.org is also worth a look. It's a fairly archaic design, but treasure is to be found among the software downloads if nothing else. Lots of exclusives on the Oric, from Xenon 1, Defence Force, Rat Splat etc bitd, to modern things like Space 1999, or Oricium, which takes a Uridiumesque design but adds some new elements like puzzling out which switches to flip on the ship surface to get it to blow.

Probably more niche than most of those suggested is the Vectrex, which I highly recommend, though get a system rather than emulating if you can. Emulation just isn't the same without that screen.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

demon

Post by demon » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:26 am

Yeah let's not turn this into a discussion of what 'less known' means, it was obviously subjective. Anything 80s which you think it's not commonly talked about as much as others is ok.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:40 pm

I like the Vtech Creativision. It's been distributed around different countries under different names, in Australasia it was distributed via the D1ck Smith Stores (trying not to get the name censored out!) as the Wizzard.

A small library of cartridges, various clones of 80s arcaders mainly, but good playable ones.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:47 am

Commodore VIC-20 - this is one I have personal experience of; I've been a member of Denial since 2009 and the proud owner of a Mega-Cart. One of the best systems around for small, single screen Atari 2600 style arcade games with exceptional ports, intelligent clones and original concepts; also has a very active homebrew scene and has become a choice system for people who just like to program in their own humble way without doing anything special. The Scott Adams text adventure games are also very popular as is the Realms of Quest RPG series.