Is my copy of Alex Kidd in Miracle World broken?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

seanm99

Is my copy of Alex Kidd in Miracle World broken?

Post by seanm99 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:26 pm

A while ago I picked up a loose cart of Alex Kidd in Miracle World for the Master System. Tested it on my Master System 2 all working, all good.

But since the my Master System 2 has this game built in, how do I know if it’s playing the cart or the built in game? So I googled. Apparently the way to tell is that the buttons are reversed between the 2 versions, and in the loading graphic, Alex Kidd is eating a hamburger in the built in version and a rice cake in the cart version.

But when I plug the cart in, he’s eating the hamburger. The buttons are the same whether I’m playing the cart or the built in game, and the copyright screen shows 1990 for both.
To make things more complicated, I can see the game was rereleased in 1990 on cart.

So does anyone know if this means my cart is definitely broken, or if I’ve got a cart version that’s the same as the built in game? Is there any other way to tell? My feeling is I have a broken cart, but thought someone might know better? Cheers.

NickThorpe

Re: Is my copy of Alex Kidd in Miracle World broken?

Post by NickThorpe » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:41 pm

I've never heard of a cart version having the hamburger over the onigiri, but I could be wrong.

The best thing to do is use some other hardware without Alex Kidd built in and see what happens, but I'm guessing you'd already worked that out. Do you know anyone with another Master System? If not, do you have access to a Mega Drive with a Power Base Converter or a Game Gear with a Master Gear Converter?

If not, could you go to a retro event or somewhere like Arcade Club and ask very, very kindly if you could test it on their Master System?

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:10 pm

At the risk of asking a dumb question, why did you buy a loose cart of a game you already had as a loose cart, just inside the machine?
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

seanm99

Post by seanm99 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:14 pm

Dudley wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:10 pm
At the risk of asking a dumb question, why did you buy a loose cart of a game you already had as a loose cart, just inside the machine?
It was cheap - I was seduced! :P
NickThorpe wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:41 pm
I've never heard of a cart version having the hamburger over the onigiri, but I could be wrong.

The best thing to do is use some other hardware without Alex Kidd built in and see what happens, but I'm guessing you'd already worked that out. Do you know anyone with another Master System? If not, do you have access to a Mega Drive with a Power Base Converter or a Game Gear with a Master Gear Converter?

If not, could you go to a retro event or somewhere like Arcade Club and ask very, very kindly if you could test it on their Master System?
That's a great idea, thanks! - sSightly embarrassed I didn't think of it, since the Arcade Club is pretty local to me!

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:38 pm

I'm pretty certain it is going to run off the cart though. I don't think the SMS' reaction to a corrupt cart is to book the internal game and if the cart works then it's just going to use it.

Thinking about it, I could also prove this, I've got dumps of both an EU cart and the internal bios. Be trivial to check if they're different.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:41 pm

I don't wish to throw a grenade into this, but my cart version - rice cake. In fact I've tried UK, US, Korea. Brazil and Japan roms (and a couple of revisions of all of them) in an emulator and they're all rice cake.

My "built in" ROM does not work on either Dega or Kega. which is infuriating.

seanm99

Post by seanm99 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:17 am

Dudley wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:41 pm
I don't wish to throw a grenade into this, but my cart version - rice cake. In fact I've tried UK, US, Korea. Brazil and Japan roms (and a couple of revisions of all of them) in an emulator and they're all rice cake.

My "built in" ROM does not work on either Dega or Kega. which is infuriating.
Interesting, thanks for checking. Ill track down somewhere with something I can test it on and report back in that case :-)

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:19 pm

Feels like it's worth a try. If so you've got a cart variant that apparently no-one's ever dumped before.