Developing old-school roguelike RPG for desktop

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Is it cool to have turns timed in turn-based combat (by slowly reducing action points)?

Yes, combat is hectic!
50%
Meh, I need time to think about my moves
50%
Don't care, I always click the fastest attack anyways
No votes

Total votes: 2

anigart

Developing old-school roguelike RPG for desktop

Post by anigart » Fri May 03, 2019 5:36 am

Hi folks,

I'm new here so I hope this is not considered spam. I saw other similar announcements but if it's inappropriate, let me know and I'll delete the threat. 8)

Wanted to pass on that I'm working on an old-school fantasy survival RPG named Knights of Frontier Valley, and the game has now been announced.

But I'd also like to ask a question... one part of gameplay is heavily under discussion, and it would be great to get a few opinion comments. Combat in the game is tactical and turn-based, but I'm planning to have the turns timed, in a way so that action points gradually expire. So the longer you wait, the fewer complex actions you can perform. What do you guys think about this feature? (it's not yet implemented, so I can't playtest it). in your opinion, will it ruin the turn-based idea, or will it be a cool addition to make combat a little more hectic (= realistic), without adding so much pressure that it turns into an action game. Please let me know your thoughts.

world.jpg
world.jpg (172.07 KiB) Viewed 32 times
combat.jpg
combat.jpg (166.56 KiB) Viewed 32 times