Anybody here tried the PS3 emulator RPCS3?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

MattyC64c

Anybody here tried the PS3 emulator RPCS3?

Post by MattyC64c » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:37 am

Having finally built myself a new more powerful PC recently, I've been emulating lots of machines. I finally got round to trying out PS3 emulation.

I must say, I'm amazed by well this emulator runs the games that it can so far. The emulation seems better than the PS2 emu PCSX2, and as I understand it, emulating the CELL processor is far from a simple task, right?

I've only tried two games thus far. Ridge Racer 7 and Afterburner Climax.

Anyone else had a go?

outdated_gamer

Re: Anybody here tried the PS3 emulator RPCS3?

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:29 pm

I think as far as emulation goes, Nintendo's platforms are covered well on PC, but Sony's and Microsoft's are hit or miss.

Although yes, Xbox 360 and PS3 emulation seems to be doing good progress nowadays, given that you have a good enough PC to handle it.

Maybe that's a bit ironic considering OG Xbox and also PS2 emulation is far from perfect (especially for OG Xbox, which is still rather poorly emulated - one would think a Pentium 3 based PC with a customized, Nvidia GeForce 3 derived GPU wouldn't be that hard to emulate, but that doesn't seem to be the case).

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:00 pm

You're right the PS3 is an absolute cow to emulate but I've managed to play through Super Stardust's first world successfully on my not especially new PC.

It's been a good emulation year, both the first Xboxs and PS3 are now just about getting there.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:24 pm

I've been using this more over the past few days and have had quite a lot of success so far.

What prompted me to try it was my love for Ridge Racer. I've been playing the 60fps Ridge Racer on PSX emulator on Retroarch and that was pretty cool, and the PlayStation portable emulator of Ridge Racer 2 runs great, so I thought I'd go the extra mile and try the PS3 version of Ridge Racer 7. Most races I can get a near locked 60 fps @ 1440P upscaled, it looks great. Occasionally though, the whole emulator crashes and if I'm in full screen it's hard, if not impossible to get out, so I have to do a full reboot.

Today I tried Tekken 6 and the performance was stellar, no slowdowns at all, pretty much a locked 60fps for the whole 45 minutes I played it. Amazing!!

I've learnt today while testing that the emulator runs much smoother in full screen rather than in a Window.

I've also got Afterburner Climax. Plays perfect, the only problem being a saving bug, which is only fixed by closing the game down and launching it again. I hope they fix it soon. I think my next game will be Soul Calibur 4 or 5. I understand these are meant to run well too.

My Specs

Intel i7 8700
16GB DDR4 3000
GTX 1070 8GB.

icemann

Post by icemann » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:08 pm

MattyC64c wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:37 am
The emulation seems better than the PS2 emu PCSX2
That's going a bit too far. PCSX2 runs nearly every PS2 game, well (for the most part), where as RPCS3 only runs some games well. And even those that run well suffer from random crashes, and weird graphical issues.

I've been following RPCS3 for a good while now (2 years I think), and I tested a whole bunch of games in it, and only 2 of those tested run really well:

* Demon Souls
* Ni No Kuni

The rest run horrible to this day.

Now of course they were going to devote their main attention to Demon Souls for a good while. It's the killer app of the PS3, much like Bloodborne for the PS4. Last I tested Demon Souls it was not perfect. Was QUITE a bit of slow down and occasional crashes.

Now Ni No Kuni on the other hand. When I first tested it, the emulator would freeze if you watched any cinematic to it's end, which got fixed 6 months later. Then I played through it, and had random crashes which since you don't have save states in RPCS3 was really damn annoying. It would crash every single time I tried to take on certain bosses (work around was running in OpenGL). So it's not better than PCSX2. You don't have all the graphical options that PCSX2 has (improved graphics, better anti-aliasing etc etc), but sure the emulator is good. It just has a LONG way to go still. Just like PCSX2 needed. Hell even PCSX2 still isn't perfect. Played through Onimusha recently in that and none of the cinematics worked.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:27 pm

Have you tried Tekken 6 and Soul Calibur IV? These played pretty much flawlessly at 4K

icemann

Post by icemann » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:42 pm

No. I don't have either of those.

Tested inFamous 1 & 2, Resistance 1, Red Dead Redemption.

As of the last big update, apparently Rock Band runs perfect. You can even hook the peripherals up to your PC and play it authentic. That to me is awesome.

Though to me, the ultimate guitar experience that can't be beat is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyCMM6e1Lbo

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52gcC3Sn-Gw

The ULTIMATE emulation experience. That just blew me away. Second video in particular is great.