War, war never changes except when it crashes

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Sega2006

War, war never changes except when it crashes

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:22 am

I decided to revisit the Capital wasteland as it whiles away the hours that my insomnia and pain keep me awake however I'm lucky if I'm there long before the Laptop has a meltdown and I have to reboot it.

Fallout 3 is known to not get on with windows 10 however none of the fixes I've tried so far have worked, when I try patching it or adding DLC files as its GOTYE (Thats game of the year not the vault dweller that you used to know) it'll throw up a DLL error which reinstalling the base game only allows the game to then run albiet buggy and crashy.
.ini edit yeilded the same result and compatibility mode does nothing, nor does run as admin.

The only things I havent tried are unoffical patches as I'm apprehensive of downloading anything from an unknown source as this machine acts as my main business device when I'm well enough to sell, I know it's up to the task as its a MSI Apache thats only a few years old.

Oh and it's got one last glitch that makes me think it's royally borked the DLC, in Springvale at the house where in Broken steels after game story takes place theres multiple large warning triangles sunk into the ground and if I remember right from my Win 7 Tower (I may return to using it when I'm phsyically able to clear its desk) I should have got extra radio signals when I leave the vault and I've got nothing but the PA, GNR and Enclave so far.
Watching you sleep since 1990

oldtimer

Re: War, war never changes except when it crashes

Post by oldtimer » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:22 am

Gotta admit ive never played fallout3 on a PC only on the Xbox360
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:31 am

There's a guide here, but it's not for the faint of heart:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/22370/di ... 147175081/

My tip would be to play New Vegas instead. Not only will it work without a ton of third party mods, but it's a better game too.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:12 pm

oldtimer wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:22 am
Gotta admit ive never played fallout3 on a PC only on the Xbox360
Originally it was the way I did along with NV however I spotted both a few years back in Sainsburys on PC for £3 each complete with all DLC packs which is less than one pack costs on marketplace so I swapped over and effectively got my money back trading in the 360 copies, effectively a spot of free gaming and I got 3 back on the 360 and 1 when I bought Fallout 4.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:18 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:31 am
There's a guide here, but it's not for the faint of heart:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/22370/di ... 147175081/

My tip would be to play New Vegas instead. Not only will it work without a ton of third party mods, but it's a better game too.
Thanks, I'll give it a crack, I have NV in the same form as 3 but I prefer 3's story more, that being said I'll probably move onto it next as I'm probably going to be stuck at home a while longer.