Minor or lesser known Arcade Coin-Ops you really liked

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

JamesC

Re: Minor or lesser known Arcade Coin-Ops you really liked

Post by JamesC » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:24 pm

A few 90s ones (from my student union days):

GTI Club - A brilliant arcade racer with nimble handling, hidden shortcuts and handbrake turns. We used to get quite competitive at this - loved it.

Radikal Bikers - Basically a Crazy Taxi rip off but possibly a bit easier and very fun.

Title Fight - Sega's fantastic arcade boxing game.

icemann

Post by icemann » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:02 am

I remember really loving the Castlevania arcade game that was under a different name. Never actually played it myself at the arcade, and only saw it once. But it looked really impressive.

Got to play it in Mame32 decades later, and I completely suck at it. Which is odd as I'm really good at the rest of the 2D Castlevania's.

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:51 pm

icemann wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:02 am
I remember really loving the Castlevania arcade game that was under a different name. Never actually played it myself at the arcade, and only saw it once. But it looked really impressive.

Got to play it in Mame32 decades later, and I completely suck at it. Which is odd as I'm really good at the rest of the 2D Castlevania's.
Haunted Castle? I own the PS4 version, and it sucks. It's very clunky and still even in comparison to the early NES Castlevania's - I keep attempting to learn to play it properly because I usually love all things Castlevania, but even I can't be bothered to persevere with this one.

icemann

Post by icemann » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:56 pm

Agreed. Though the person I watched play it, got pretty damn far in it. I dunno how that's even possible, as it's hard as hell.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:05 pm

BellyFullOfHell wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:51 pm
icemann wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:02 am

Haunted Castle? I own the PS4 version, and it sucks. It's very clunky and still even in comparison to the early NES Castlevania's - I keep attempting to learn to play it properly because I usually love all things Castlevania, but even I can't be bothered to persevere with this one.
On the 1cc Superplay that came with the PS2 Haunted Castle they only used the stopwatch item. It freezes all the bosses even Dracula himself.

I got to level 3 on 1cc but those 3 ghost girls sub bosses finish me off all the time. The stopwatch diesn’t work on the ghost girls, but the guy on the replay beats them easy. There was also safe spots such as the bats on level 1 just before Medusa.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

arcadez

Post by arcadez » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:52 pm

B. Rap. Boys

The follow up to DJ Boy which i suppose could be considered obscure also, nice wee beat em up with a really good hip hop soundtrack.

Heavy Unit

Similar to R-type with gameplay to match a true hidden gem.

Cannon Dancer / Osman

Created by a few of the same team that worked on Capcom's Strider some consider this to be the best sequel

Arcade Addict

arcadez

Post by arcadez » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:55 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:29 pm
Greyfox wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:19 pm
Being a massive Arcadian myself, Empire City: 31 was indeed a great little game later to appear under a very close conversion under a different name for the Atari ST called "Prohibition" was more or less this game. For me and newly discovered a few years back was
Night Slasher
Air Rescue
Biomechanical
Black Panther
Bonze Adventure

These are some nice games to have a go. So many undiscovered gems out there.
This^^^^ You listed two of my favourite games in Night Slashers and Bronze Adventure
Ah Night Slashers like you it's one of my faves also, i never tire of doing the jump stomp driving an enemy into the ground then kicking it's head off :)

Arcade Addict

shadowflare7799

Post by shadowflare7799 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:00 am

elevator action returns and gundhara arcade both games I did 1cc runs of on my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j-USsRLAes&t=959s and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVaxaEygrXQ&t=131s the first ones elevator action returns and the second is gundhara. For anybody that doesn't know Gundhara is a banpresto game.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC78Jx4 ... gnbVM6Tp4g

My youtube gaming channel speedruns and no deathruns of both classic and modern games.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:51 am

I love 80s arcaders probably more than any other gaming, many of these mentioned I'd never heard of! Will have to do some research and give them a go.

Not so much obscure, but 'esser well known' games for want of a better term I enjoyed were Jungler , Tutankham , Targ, Uni Wars, Astro Invader/Kamakaze, Ozma Wars. The real early games lol

shadowflare7799

Post by shadowflare7799 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:42 pm

I forgot two others.. Trick Trap/Labyrinth Runner https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiBJ9IESnjE&t=76s and Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3BqDO71u04&t=1412s
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC78Jx4 ... gnbVM6Tp4g

My youtube gaming channel speedruns and no deathruns of both classic and modern games.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:05 pm

Millie Miglia and a similar Rally game that I can't recall the name of but did have the same generation of Toyota Celica in it as Sega Rally did.
Watching you sleep since 1990

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:22 pm

Sega2006 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:05 pm
Rally game that I can't recall the name of but did have the same generation of Toyota Celica in it as Sega Rally did.
Neo Drift Out?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9Tm9FxsXU8
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:10 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:22 pm
Sega2006 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:05 pm
Rally game that I can't recall the name of but did have the same generation of Toyota Celica in it as Sega Rally did.
Neo Drift Out?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9Tm9FxsXU8
Certainly looks like it could be it, it's been about 20 years though memories a little foggy, remember its replacement vividly though in the club house as they swapped it for Aliens.
Watching you sleep since 1990

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:54 pm

Grobda.

Ghox.

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:25 pm

Directly from the 80s:

Pirate ship Higemaru
Rescue
Eggs
Make Trax
Hole land (maybe not favourite, but I played it a lot during a summer vacation)
and one of my all timie favourites (even if not properly lesser known): Exerion