GamesMaster and gamestm magazines closing, your thoughts?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

3fruits

GamesMaster and gamestm magazines closing, your thoughts?

Post by 3fruits » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:25 am

I was gutted to hear they are closing.
Edge is a dreadful gaming magazine. I'm surprised it's staying.
Worrying for the future of RG especially as we're seeing small changes presumably to save money like less quality paper,
I wonder how long RG has.

Solegor

Re: GamesMaster and gamestm magazines closing, your thoughts?

Post by Solegor » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:58 am

All good things come to an end.
Anyway I haven't received two latest issues yet. Maybe just have to buy some older iPad and go digital...

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:36 pm

sucks

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:44 pm

There's already a thread here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55277

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:50 am

It is sad, I feel the same sadness to the closing of long running mags- especially multi format ones like Gamestm- as I do about the closing of movie and game rental stores, physical format movies games and music becoming less and less the most popular option and so on...
...But it is a sign of the times, and we oldies are also a bygone era and no longer the mainstream demographic.

CripleH

Post by CripleH » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:42 pm

It is pretty sad. I used to read Edge a fair bit but started to find it so dry and boring that I switched to GamesTM for something with a bit more character. I was actually going to get a subscription to Retro Gamer as well as my current GamesTM one so I've just transferred my direct debit over.

Jeremiah Jones

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:51 am

I love getting the Retro annual specials that GamesTM put out, so it's sad to hear they're ending. I wonder if Retro Volume 10 will be the last or if there will be a volume 11. (It's been roughly a year since the last, so I think there's enough material for it)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:00 am

I wouldn’t hold your breath. Since future took over there’s hardly been any decent retro Bookazines

I used to buy all the smaller compilations as well but again none have come out since Future took over

Frustrating

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:35 pm

I disagree that there haven't been any good bookazines. The 1970s/80s/90s retro culture mags were great, though a bit lightweight in places. I'd buy a monthly/bimonthly mag on this topic if it offered more in-depth coverage. I notice the new Retro Gamer Annual is also available in WH Smith, along with the usual assortment of annuals, though I have to admit that most don't appeal.

I hope there is a final GamesTM compilation, either under the RetroTM or Classic Gaming title. The Retro section has gone downhill since the early days when Darran edited it, but there were a few good articles I'd be interested in seeing in a compilation (particularly anything related to Codemasters and Dizzy).

Incidentally, I notice that World of Animals also closed this month. It's not a mag I bought, but it's sad to see the Bournemouth-based mags closing. I'm glad that Future didn't get their hand on Scifi Now.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:57 am

knight_beat wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:35 pm
I disagree that there haven't been any good bookazines. The 1970s/80s/90s retro culture mags were great, though a bit lightweight in places. I'd buy a monthly/bimonthly mag on this topic if it offered more in-depth coverage. I notice the new Retro Gamer Annual is also available in WH Smith, along with the usual assortment of annuals, though I have to admit that most don't appeal.

I hope there is a final GamesTM compilation, either under the RetroTM or Classic Gaming title. The Retro section has gone downhill since the early days when Darran edited it, but there were a few good articles I'd be interested in seeing in a compilation (particularly anything related to Codemasters and Dizzy).

Incidentally, I notice that World of Animals also closed this month. It's not a mag I bought, but it's sad to see the Bournemouth-based mags closing. I'm glad that Future didn't get their hand on Scifi Now.
I disagree !

There have hardly been many retro game bookazines under Future. Under Imagine we had tons of bookazines, the 80's and 90's arent anything to do with Retro Gamer. They're good but i want retro game bookazines not retro bookazines about TV/film/music. Totally different

Just looking at the app now - Edge Annual / Arcade Classics (Already got the two earlier ones) / Retro Hardware (new version) / Sci-fi Movies (not Retro games) etc

There is 100 games to play before you die which is decent and that was a nice surprise, but everything else is 100 greatest tv shows/films/sc-fi etc. Not retro games.

I used to buy every retro gamer bookazine/ebook before and believe me there were loads, there are hardly any now. The ebooks for say Ultimate or Durrell etc were great. We havent had a new Retro bookazine for a while, i know GamesTM has finished but be nice if they did a compilation of the last lot of Retro bits.