PS2 - Midnight Club 2

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Crazy88

PS2 - Midnight Club 2

Post by Crazy88 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:46 pm

I have 100-ish games in my PS2 set. I recently picked up Midnight Club 2, already having 1 and 3. The game would freeze as the Rockstar "R" started to appear at the very beginning of the game. After cleaning the disc and trying it a few more times I found that it would freeze on the R or at the car select screen. I gave up on that disc and found a disc only for sale on Ebay. I tried it and......it freezes just as the "R" starts to appear! Not ONE of my other PS2 games has given me trouble, now I get two in a row of the same title?

I'm using a PS2 fat. Is there a known issue with this game?

HdE

Re: PS2 - Midnight Club 2

Post by HdE » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:36 pm

Crazy88 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:46 pm
I have 100-ish games in my PS2 set. I recently picked up Midnight Club 2, already having 1 and 3. The game would freeze as the Rockstar "R" started to appear at the very beginning of the game. After cleaning the disc and trying it a few more times I found that it would freeze on the R or at the car select screen. I gave up on that disc and found a disc only for sale on Ebay. I tried it and......it freezes just as the "R" starts to appear! Not ONE of my other PS2 games has given me trouble, now I get two in a row of the same title?

I'm using a PS2 fat. Is there a known issue with this game?
Agh! Maddening!

I don't know much about this game, but I HAVE experienced issues running certain games on particular hardware revisions of Playstation consoles. A while back, I ran into an issue with Deus Ex: Human Revolution on the PS3 where it would only work on a console with a dual-lens optical drive. No idea why.

I AM aware that certain PS2 games don't play nicely with certain PS2 revisions. Would you by any chance be using a FreeMCboot set up? I believe that can exacerbate certain issues - and not everything works with stuff like HD Loader or OPL, if you're using those. I also believe Midnight Club II has been reported as suffering with a few issues in HD Loader.

Evander

Re: PS2 - Midnight Club 2

Post by Evander » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:13 pm

Yeah it’s annoying.

Both my copies of Prince of Persia on the Game Gear create a horrible screen flicker. Only with that game.

Similarly my Metal Slug cart on my NGPC stopped playing properly, sprites were visible but backgrounds and platforms were all messed up making it unplayable. Bought a replacement cart, exactly the same thing. All my other games work fine.