Which Dreamcast?

Discuss the games of yesteryear while feeling all fuzzy inside.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

davyK

Re: Which Dreamcast?

Post by davyK » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:59 am

Dreamcast Daytona is one of the great joys of gaming. It garnered some criticism early on because of the twitchy control with a pad. But the PAL version lets you adjust the sensitivity of the controls.

However - you are doing it right. It works great with the DC wheel. The DC version of Daytona stands up even to the majestic 360 XBL version because it has exclusive tracks.

If you have a CRT then RGB SCART is the way to go. If you have a modern TV with the VGA connection then go for that. There are a few games that don't support VGA though - but there aren't that many. Some games look better with RGB SCART/CRT - for example I prefer playing Gigawing that way but for the most part both methods look great.

It's dead easy to play imports on too - either burn your own or use a boot disc if you want to play official releases. You can make a boot disc yourself from online resources or buy a disc called DC-X which I find to be a wee bit more dependable.

If you get into some of the more traditional arcade games like fighters or shmups - then try and get an official arcade stick. They aren't THAT expensive but they really make a difference to the experience.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:49 pm

davyK wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:59 am
It's dead easy to play imports on too - either burn your own or use a boot disc if you want to play official releases. You can make a boot disc yourself from online resources or buy a disc called DC-X which I find to be a wee bit more dependable.
I don't suppose the DC-X authors are actively selling it any more, so its perhaps worth pointing out that has also been ripped and can be downloaded and burnt to a CD-R, so no need to go splashing out on an official version. It is pretty nifty, iirc it's the only boot disc I could find that would get my US Rainbow Six running where all others failed.

Can't say I'm a fan of Daytona, but if you were to invest in TWO Dreamcasts, you can link play F355. That's perfect for a wheel setup.

Sega_MegaDive

Post by Sega_MegaDive » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:30 pm

I did indeed buy a VGA cable for the Dreamcast on ebay and Daytona looks absolutley beautiful. Im glad you pointed out that some games dont support VGA otherwise Id have probably though the game was a dud.

Im on the look out for some top down shooters. I saw a few that look great, but seem quite expensive. Maybe ill look into buring my own.

I got a couple of madcatz light guns when I bought the steering wheel and I was hoping to get a copy of Virtua Cop 2, but theres none for sale. Was Virtua Cop never released in the UK?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:52 pm

The lightgun was fairly poorly supported with games. Virtua Cop 2 only came out with the US Sega Smash Pack; I'm not sure if a UK gun is compatible?

House of the Dead is about the inly decent UK game, and that's really fun. As is Typing of the Dead if you get a keyboard.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:02 am

Little word of warning as you are a new DC owner. Never put in or take out controller ports when the console on, do it when its off. It can break a part inside the console which stops controllers from working on the system.

I learned that the hard way.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:09 am

For scrolling shooters there's Ikaruga, but cheaper and (imho) more fun Gunbird 2.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

davyK

Post by davyK » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:49 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:52 pm
The lightgun was fairly poorly supported with games. Virtua Cop 2 only came out with the US Sega Smash Pack; I'm not sure if a UK gun is compatible?

House of the Dead is about the inly decent UK game, and that's really fun. As is Typing of the Dead if you get a keyboard.

Confidental Mission is the only other gun game that got a PAL release - a least as far as I know. It's supposed to be a good one but I haven't been able to find a copy of it in the wild in good enough condition for me to pick it up. I'll probably get it via the web at some point as long as I have my CRT.

davyK

Post by davyK » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:51 am

Sega_MegaDive wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:30 pm
I did indeed buy a VGA cable for the Dreamcast on ebay and Daytona looks absolutley beautiful. Im glad you pointed out that some games dont support VGA otherwise Id have probably though the game was a dud.
The game will display a message - something to the effect of "This game does not support this type of connection".

Weird - you would think that if they went to the bother of being able to display that message then they could make the game itself work that way - but there you go! :)

davyK

Post by davyK » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:17 am

My favourite DC games:-

Gunbird 2 - rock hard shmup. Plays best in TATE mode though so you will need to rotate your TV for that. Sadly this is one of those few PAL games that doesn't work with a VGA connection. It can be tricked into working with it but I found it to be a bit glitchy when I tried it. The DC port is superior to the PS2 version - esp. in PAL because it is a censored poor port without even high score saving and it even has mid-level loads! The DC version has a really nice 1 player - 2 character tag team mode and an exclusive character.

Gigawing - lovely port - only the DC got this and Gigawing 1 is the best in the series. Works with VGA but I prefer it with RGB SCART due to the graphical style suiting it better.

Daytona - mentioned this above.

Cannon Spike - arena style shooter a la Smash TV but with a gorgeous 3D look. This is a DC exclusive and while it is a short game - 10 short levels you will complete in 20mins - it's all about the 1CC and it has a pile of difficulty levels to build the intensity. But its best feature is the replay value resulting from the fact that it has a pile of Capcom characters to play as - it raids Capcom series from Streetfighter and Megaman through to Ghosts and Goblins and so is stoked with Capcom fan service. This costs a packet in PAL so you may want to try it by an alternative method first.

Mr Driller - this was released on other platforms - even got a PS1 release but it just looks lovely on DC with VGA. And playing with the DC stick feels just so right.

Hydro Thunder - big daft boat racing game. Early release so no 60Hz in PAL - best to import and use a boot disc

Pro Pinball Trilogy - 3 tables from the top notch series on one disc (pity they left out The Web to make it complete). Again - beautiful with the VGA hookup. PAL exclusive.

Bangai O - mad JPN 2D shooter from Treasure. Teeny tiny graphics but has lots of things going on. Navigate simple maze levels and take out bosses. The big attraction is the 3rd weapon you have (your 2 main weapons are homing and reflect bullets) which is a homing missile barrage that releases more missiles the more you are in danger. Activate this when you are just about to die surrounded by enemy bullets and it can generate up to 100 homing missiles. A superbly satisfying game mechanic.

Sturmwind - indie release that came out a few years ago. Ten years in the making - a beautiful looking side on shooter with a rather clever and satisfying weapon system. Has a 16 level mission mode with progress save and a 6 level arcade mode you have to complete on 1 credit.

WInd & Water Puzzle Battle - hard core puzzle game. Starts off as a simple tile matching game like Bejewelled Twist - but it has a PILE of modes , settings and options that turn it into a head spinning hard core fest. Choc-full of content and has beautiful hand drawn pixel graphics - this is another recent indie release and is clearly a labour of love.

Virtua Tennis 1 & 2 - this is the peak of the series. If playing with the old roster doesn't bother you then you will love this. Pure arcade fun with up to 4 player support and glorious VGA graphics. Play this with 4 arcade sticks and you are transported to the arcade.

Cosmic Smash - this is an import game and not cheap but this is a slice of Sega arcade genius. Highly stylised design is overlayed onto a mix of Arkanoid and Virtua Tennis. Just google this and have a look and listen!

Typing of the Dead - another import - go for the US version. You will also need the keyboards - I say plural because the 2 player mode of this is one pf the best versus games I have ever played. Another piece of Sega genius which shouldn't work but does.

Outtrigger - if you fancy an FPS on your DC give this a look. This is an arcade FPS - with small arenas and a nice scoring mechanic. It looks gorgeous and supports up to 4 in split screen mode. This had online back in the day and I'm surprised this hasn't been updated as it's excellent. Best with the keyboard and mouse but works with the DC controller too.

Wetrix + - This is really at home on the N64 but the DC makes the graphics a bit sharper though the music isn't quite as good - but that's a taste thing. Super version of the game that doesn't mess with its purity (it got an update on PS2 called Aqua Aqua which DID break its purity).
Last edited by davyK on Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:18 am

davyK wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:49 am
paranoid marvin wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:52 pm

Confidental Mission is the only other gun game that got a PAL release - a least as far as I know. It's supposed to be a good one but I haven't been able to find a copy of it in the wild in good enough condition for me to pick it up. I'll probably get it via the web at some point as long as I have my CRT.
Confidential Mission is ace, probably my fave of the DC gun games. Its a sort of 'Bond'ish version of House of the Dead, and the spy based nature makes it a lot of fun. Visually its up there and there's a fair bit of variety to it.

There's a couple of games with hidden gun sections tucked away too. Its been ages since I dug out the DC so I forget which, but I recall one of the racing games has a gun mode so you can shoot stuff.

As for shmups, if you like horizontal scrollers, deffo check out Border Down. You might even be able to buy it for non silly money now, for a while it really spiked up. I really need to pick up Sturmwind at some point.

Essential games? Metropolis Street Racer, the precursor to Project Gotham on X-Box. Still looks good and plays well. Soul Reaver is for some reason one of my big DC games, probably just because it was my first time with it and I was pleasantly surprised. Track down a copy of Rez if you've not played it too, that isn't one to miss, especially if you like stuff like Space Harrier. Pump the volume up and get into the zone, it starts easy but gets hard. I've played it countless times and still not bored with it, to the point I have it across several systems.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:52 pm

For vertical scrolling shooters I'd strongly recommend getting a VGA adaptor and an old PC monitor that flips to portrait mode, along with a decent set of speakers.
The actual DC you get isn't all that important, for the reasons already given, although it is quite easy to change the regon. All you need it a bit of wire and a soldering iron :wink:

One of my personal favorate SHMUPS for the DC is Psyvariar 2: The Will To Fabricate, but it's a bit of a Marmite game for SHMUP fans (You ether love it or you hate it).

When you say 'essential games,' do you mean ones that you may actually stand a chance of being able yo buy? Because there is definitely a difference!
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:49 pm

davyK wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:17 am

Hydro Thunder - big daft boat racing game. Early release so no 60Hz in PAL - best to import and use a boot disc
I thought this for some time davyk, but you can easily boot a PAL copy of Hydro Thunder into 480p VGA mode with the VGA boot trick (where you switch it from TV mode, on the adaptor, over to VGA mode as soon as you hear the disc starting to be read when that beeping noise occurs). Works every time and works with most other PAL non-official VGA supported games (Resident Evil Code Veronica doesn't work, but fortunately it doesn't compromise that style of game too much).

davyK

Post by davyK » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:28 pm

Forgot about Rez!! Probably a bit expensive now but- DC games are easy to acquire by other means. I'm a collector though so I tend to stick to official discs.

There's Chu Chu Rocket too - forgot about that one. If you like a multi-player puzzle game it's great though it takes a bit of getting used to and can be pretty manic.

Space Channel 5 is on its natural home on DC - though it has been ported elsewhere.

I'm not a massive fighting game fan - although I do have a collection of them because I really like their presentation and they are great for a casual laugh with a few friends.

These are all well done on DC:-

Ready 2 Rumble
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike
Dead or Alive 2
Soul Calibur
Tech Romancer - big robots fighting :)
Mortal Kombat Gold
Marvel v Capcom
Capcom vs SNK (PAL doesn't support VGA)

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:07 pm

Yeah Space Channel 5 is aces. Also worth checking out Crazy Taxi 1 and 2, Virtua Tennis (though i don't like the sequel so much) Jet Set Radio, 18 Wheeler, Star Wars Pod Racer and Soul Calibur.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

davyK

Post by davyK » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:59 pm

Forgot about Crazy Taxi as well !!!! :)