Retro Gamer - Issue 184

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

The Laird

Retro Gamer - Issue 184

Post by The Laird » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:04 pm

Issue 184 of Retro Gamer Magazine is out now, above you can see the subscriber cover.

Featured in this issue:

The Making Of: Daytona USA
Classic Moments: Astro Marine Corps
Unlicensed To Thrill: Atari 8-bit
The Making Of: The Oregon Trail
The Ultimate Guide: Thunder Jaws
From The Archives: Emerald Software
Pushing The Limits: Deep Duck Trouble
In The Chair: Brian Colin
The History Of: Cool Spot
The Making Of: Loaded
Peripheral Vision: Dreamcast Controller
A Moment With: Clive Townsend
The Making Of: Quake 2
BBC Opens Up The Computer Archives
Hardware Heaven: Super Nintendo

And Much Much More!

The Laird

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 184

Post by The Laird » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:12 pm

And here is the standard retail cover:

Arnie

Post by Arnie » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:12 pm

Not opened mine yet but don't like that cover its very bland and unremarkable, lets hope the contents make up for it.

MatOfTheDead

Post by MatOfTheDead » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:39 pm

dont mind the cover tbf looking forward to grabbing my copy in the morning

bounty bob

Post by bounty bob » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:04 pm

Not liking the subscriber cover at all. To me it feels that the less colour and writing they put on it, the cheaper it is to print for future. Only a couple of articles I'm interested in this month so will probably take the rest of the month to read. Can we not have an option to have the normal cover instead?
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)

RichL

Post by RichL » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:42 am

I’m a fan of the subscriber covers however there’s too much yellow this month.

junkmale

Post by junkmale » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:17 am

Excellent issue as always.
Just a couple of small points...or call them nit picks if you want.
Just observations, not criticisms or argument starters. If anyone feels the need to want to start one go right ahead you won't get one from me.
Also note nothing political intended here just simple geography.

1. Re 'Unlicensed to Thrill' - Both Poland and the former Czechoslovakia are in Central Europe not Eastern Europe. I have lived in and travelled quite widely in Poland over the last 10 years or so and have found (with no exceptions) that they deeply resent being referred to as 'Eastern European'. It assumes a connection with the old Soviet rule and they don't like to be associated with that in any, way, shape of form. Also, curiously, in all my years there i've not met anyone who knows about or have seen an Atari 8 bit anywhere? Pegasus branded Famiclones appear to where it's at in Retro gaming there.

2. Re 'Emerald Software' - They were based in the Republic of Ireland. As i'm sure you are aware 'Ireland' is an island not a country. The correct term therefore should be the Republic of Ireland or the Island of Ireland. Obviously the use of 'Ireland' to mean the Republic of Ireland is commonplace but it is still wrong. For most of us (including me) who live in Northern Ireland it's a very important distinction.

Just my 2 cents worth. It's not something i'm losing any sleep over so keep up the good work.

ely

Post by ely » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:10 am

Another good issue. A very interesting article about Daytona, the fact you interviewed so many of the guys who worked on it was definitely a plus.

I for one love the cover, both the style and the minimulist nature of it. I understand others saying that not having anything on these that suggests what other topics etc. are covered in the magazine is an issue, but I'm reading the magazine anyway so I'll find that stuff when I open it up.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:24 am

Decent issue for me this month. Love the R-Type II article, stuff like that makes me want to go back and play that game again. Plus R-Type II on the Gameboy was brilliant, again just reminds me to go back to it.

Like the Daytona article as thats one game i play at Arcade Club a lot (SURELY its time for an arcade club article !!!). Quake II another classic game, loved this back in the day

Also i cant believe the 'Ireland issue' will cause any offence, every irish person i've ever spoken to ever has always said theyre from ireland, not one says 'actually its Republic of Ireland'. Just seems OTT

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:38 pm

junkmale wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:17 am
1. Re 'Unlicensed to Thrill' - Both Poland and the former Czechoslovakia are in Central Europe not Eastern Europe. I have lived in and travelled quite widely in Poland over the last 10 years or so and have found (with no exceptions) that they deeply resent being referred to as 'Eastern European'. It assumes a connection with the old Soviet rule and they don't like to be associated with that in any, way, shape of form. Also, curiously, in all my years there i've not met anyone who knows about or have seen an Atari 8 bit anywhere? Pegasus branded Famiclones appear to where it's at in Retro gaming there.
Every single one of people I interviewed referred to it as Eastern Europe. As do all my Polish and Czech friends.

As for the second point a quick Google would more than prove how huge the Atari scene is in Poland and the Czech republic. Poland even has several big annual Atari expos including Wapniak and Sillyventure.

Maybe you should check out Atari Online who helped me massively with this article.

MatOfTheDead

Post by MatOfTheDead » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:58 pm

Really enjoyed this months issue the Daytona USA feature was a great read along with the quake 2 and Loaded articles

merman

Post by merman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:17 pm

Really enjoyed the Oregon Trail piece. Good to see some new writers too.

And that Fallout bored game looks interesting...

senzer

Post by senzer » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:36 pm

No mention of q2 multiplayer? It was huge in the UK. We were also arguably the best at it. A series on online gaming would be nice - gamespy 3d, wireplay, even won.net or heat...

Need a time bandit feature- using the atari st graphics of course

Good issue, cheap paper always disheartening to see though. The "ultimate guide to:" series is wearing thin. I'd rather games be covered more in depth and less regularly (how many times have you mentioned the shinobi series?)

Captions are always lame, but the magazine will never be like 90s Future. I couldn't name anyone after 7 years of reading apart from thr digitiser guy and Darran. No personality seeps through, and when it does it's just :

"Wish i hadn't have traded my snes'
"This month X has been collecting game gear games"

Or the guy from digitiser dribbling (every issue)

I think there is a significant percentage of people who buy the mag simply because -

We miss buying gaming mags
The layouts can be nice
Design work usually interesting

There's so much regurgitating of content from the old (and let's face it, far better days)

I'll keep buying, but the mag is 70% filler

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:51 pm

As a returning subscriber (I unsubscribed when it was upped from 6 issues a year, I think), this is an issue I wouldn't have bought, as none of the main features are games I'm interested in. Despite that, I did enjoy reading some of them, especially The Oregon Trail game (which I wasn't aware of). One caption made me think Darran had died though, so I actually had to check...

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:12 pm

senzer wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:36 pm

I think there is a significant percentage of people who buy the mag simply because -

We miss buying gaming mags
The layouts can be nice
Design work usually interesting

There's so much regurgitating of content from the old (and let's face it, far better days)

I'll keep buying, but the mag is 70% filler
you're making the mistake of assuming the grumpy and constantly complaining people on these forums are representative of the general public buying the mag. Its not even close to being a good representation, from my experience of talking to people about it on places other than these forums. The bottom line is if there wasn't good content the wider public wouldn't buy the mag and it would be cancelled.