The first games you completed.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

pratty

Re: The first games you completed.

Post by pratty » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:02 pm

RichPT wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:24 pm
pratty wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:31 pm
RichPT wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:02 pm
The game I am most proud of completing was Citadel on the BBC Micro. It seemed like it was really hard but once you knew what to do it was do-able. I only found 2 of the 3 crowns though.
I found that quite difficult and didn't get close to finishing it, but I enjoyed it regardless.
Yes it was a good game. Did you play Palace of Magic? It was the pseudo-sequel but was a bit easier. There was a genuine Citadel 2 but it I'm pretty sure the publisher just asked a random programmer to make a sequel for marketing reasons. That's what it seemed like anyway.

No not heard of Palace Of Magic. Citadel 2 does ring a bell but I know I never played it. I'd like to think I'd be much better at Citadel know, I must have been about 7 or 8 when I played it back in the day.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:16 pm

The first thing I really remember completing was Ultima IV: Quest of the Avitar, on an Amstrad 1512, with a green-screen monitor, the next was Space Rogue, on the same machine.

The first games ever would probably be early things that were meant to repeat like Smurf on the Atari VCS, GORF on the VIC-20, or Bruce Lee on the Atari 800XL. Not sure if that type of thing counts though, as they just restart and there isn't really an end as such.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

davyK

Post by davyK » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:32 pm

2600 games you can "beat" by clocking the score - the game just keeps going though:-

I clocked these games: Asteroids, Atlantis, Yars' Revenge, Defender, Cosmic Creeps, Solar Storm and Video Pinball.

2600 games you could "finish"

I beat these games : Megamania (stops at 999,999) Breakout (ends after 2 walls) 864 pts

Nin10dofan

Post by Nin10dofan » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:06 am

I finished battletoads in the arcade and on the gameboy. I also finished Rick dangerous on the spectrum and I finished a lot of games on the gamecube, metroid prime, eternal darkness, Mario sunshine,

Andy Dale

Post by Andy Dale » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:56 pm

Enduro Racer on the Master System.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:34 am

icemann wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:56 pm
Hmm. Would definitely be something on the Atari 2600 as that was my first console. Issue there being that nearly all the games on it were endless.

First game that springs to mind is Double Dragon on that. It looked NOTHING like the arcade game, and certainly didn't play like it either. Took me quite a few attempts but I eventually beat it. Then never played it again. Second game would be Alex Kid in Miracle World on the Sega Master System. Played that game to death. Took me numerous attempts, and the fact that the final boss does a random rock, paper, scissors combo on every play through (unlike all the other bosses) made for many failed attempts. But perseverance pays off, and I eventually beat the game. I've never met anyone else whose beaten that game. Many that attempted it, but couldn't clear the final stage.

Third would be Golden Axe on that system as well. Great game.
Reading your post just now reminded me of a few things;
-Punching an octopus off a pot in an early underwater level which allowed you to jump ahead a few stages.
-The forest level with the bike where I got stuck forever, eventually just not using the bike.
-Making notes of the Rock/Paper/Scissor boss battles, though I remember being fast to react to the CPU's last minute changes too.
-I can vaguely recall either a bad ending, or it wouldn't allow you to progress beyond a stage, if you failed to do something in a castle you visited earlier.

I don't recall the final boss at all so I guess it wasn't very memorable for me?
I always wished I'd gotten the sonic pack but, looking back, AK was a decent game and I got plenty of entertainment out of it. I never did play any of the others of the series though.

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:08 pm

SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:09 pm
OMG! Ye Ar Kung Fu on 464! Corner yourself and your opponent would be too close to actually hit you. Total exploit, obvs, so doesn't really count.
Yie are Kung Fu looped, so you couldn't finish it.

The first game I finished was Sorcery on the Amstrad CPC. Great memories

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:31 pm

Probably Transylvania and Castle Wolfenstein on the schools Apple II.

Actually, it would have been the old Lunar Lander printout game on the schools TI calculator !!! Man that's going back!

At home, I can't actually remember tbh. Highlights that spring to mind are from 16 bit era, I remember loving Flashback so much I just played and played until completed. PS games the likes of Tomb Raider, Silent Hill, MGS, RE1/2 and so on.

demon

Post by demon » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:38 am

Difficult to remember... probably "Bruce Lee" on the C=64.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:31 pm

ivarf wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:08 pm
SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:09 pm
OMG! Ye Ar Kung Fu on 464! Corner yourself and your opponent would be too close to actually hit you. Total exploit, obvs, so doesn't really count.
Yie are Kung Fu looped, so you couldn't finish it.

The first game I finished was Sorcery on the Amstrad CPC. Great memories
What was the name of that last dude? The one who was the player character just cranked right up? I think it may have been "blues"? Anyway when he was done and you found yourself facing that E-Honda type dude again I just assumed it was done.

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:09 am

I remember being able to play TRON: Deadly Discs on Intellivision for so long that I usually ended up having to turn it off. I finished Super Cobra on Inty too, but I'm sure that just kept looping.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:54 pm

Great question!

I can't remember the very first game I completed, but among the first Mega Drive games I completed were Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Road Rash and Mortal Kombat.

I can't remember what my first Speccy completion was either - It was 1986 after all - But it may well have been Jack The Nipper or Knightmare!
Press Play On Tape