Bookazines or lack of.

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

knight_beat

Re: Bookazines or lack of.

Post by knight_beat » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:18 pm

spacedmonkeys wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:46 am
Is there actually any new content in the "100 games" one I wonder? Also the price has skyrocketed.. £15.99 inc delivery. It's also as I said above a deviation from any sort of "branding" again. And I can envisage a yearly "revised edition" to take in to account new games. Not sure on this one. :?
The Skyrim article looks new. The rest has appeared before as far as I can tell. I agree that it's bound to be revised at some point. I have to admit I'd prefer it if RG waited until there is sufficient new content for a new edition as opposed to publishing a minor revision every year.

204 pages is an impressive page count - almost the same size as the early Retro bookazines. Some of the All About History bookazines cost £12.99 for the standard 160-ish pages, which is a difficult price to justify. I bought their Alternative History book, but skipped the Russian Revolution one on the basis of the price.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:56 pm

There's still plenty out there to cover.

I would love to see a handhelds bookazine (Game Boy, Lynx, Game Gear, NGPC, GBA etc.)

I would also like to see themes such as 8-bit computer book, 16-bit computer book, Games Vs. Movies and a From The Archives book.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:31 am

The Laird wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:56 pm
There's still plenty out there to cover.

I would love to see a handhelds bookazine (Game Boy, Lynx, Game Gear, NGPC, GBA etc.)

I would also like to see themes such as 8-bit computer book, 16-bit computer book, Games Vs. Movies and a From The Archives book.
Would love to see a handhelds bookazine, would like some stand alone included too- Nintendo G&W, Grandstand, Bandai and Casio games etc

The others sound great too- and I would love to see a UK computers Bookazine, for all the UK machines that competed against Sinclair machines. Dragon, Oric, Amstrad, BBC/Acorn etc/

Other things I reckon would be cool for bookazines would be arcade conversion comparisons- I love those features in RG where we see various ports of arcade games compared on different systems.
And the other would be a 'how far can tech be stretched' bookazine, showing early games against later games on systems to show how much talented coders can squeeze out of systems :)

dpg50000

Post by dpg50000 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:03 am

knight_beat wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:18 pm
spacedmonkeys wrote:
Is there actually any new content in the "100 games" one I wonder? Also the price has skyrocketed.. £15.99 inc delivery. It's also as I said above a deviation from any sort of "branding" again. And I can envisage a yearly "revised edition" to take in to account new games. Not sure on this one. :?
The Skyrim article looks new. The rest has appeared before as far as I can tell. I agree that it's bound to be revised at some point. I have to admit I'd prefer it if RG waited until there is sufficient new content for a new edition as opposed to publishing a minor revision every year.

204 pages is an impressive page count - almost the same size as the early Retro bookazines. Some of the All About History bookazines cost £12.99 for the standard 160-ish pages, which is a difficult price to justify. I bought their Alternative History book, but skipped the Russian Revolution one on the basis of the price.
Pretty sure the first few Retro's were 240 - 256 pages in length. I know you said almost, but still.... the page count of these bookazines has dropped dramatically. Like the "Book of Mario" one from RG - 148 pages for £10!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:50 pm

dpg50000 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:03 am
knight_beat wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:18 pm
spacedmonkeys wrote:

Pretty sure the first few Retro's were 240 - 256 pages in length. I know you said almost, but still.... the page count of these bookazines has dropped dramatically. Like the "Book of Mario" one from RG - 148 pages for £10!

I looked at the contents of this bookazine, and it looks quite a cool one, despite a few of the contents I have in other bookazines. That said- I cannot get over the 'new' new release asking price of 26.99 incl post for international customers. It's just too much, far too much. Every other new release bookazine was 22.99 US, and even that I thought was pushing it. So why the leap? Thats over $40 local currency, and I just won't pay that, I will wait and see if/when it discounts. I just bought a couple of art bookazines from future...and waited until they specialled and were a little more realistic. It is almost as if this new asking price of 26.99 is a tester, to see if people are prepared to pay it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:52 am

New bookazine from the Retro Gamer app but its '100 greatest TV shows' ! Weird its on the RG app. Looked through the library on the app and there were loads i used to buy. Shame

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:26 pm

With regards to 100 Games To Play before you die there are three new articles. All ultimate guides and on Mega Man 2, Doom and Skyrim.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:42 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:26 pm
With regards to 100 Games To Play before you die there are three new articles. All ultimate guides and on Mega Man 2, Doom and Skyrim.
Any chance of that being available digitally via the app though ?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:02 am

I'd imagine it will turn up eventually. The structure is completely different now and it's not something I have access to.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:14 am

No worries, thanks for replying. I saw on one of the apps (Issuu) it had a digital sampler of it so i 'presume' the full version will be available at some point

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:31 am

For those considering the 100 Games bookazine I did a video review of it on You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z9dhIcVaVg

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:23 pm

What's this? Another bookazine? :D

Ultimate Retro Hardware Guide

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:30 pm

I picked up another one of the new bookazines, The Ultimate 80s Collection and you can check out my video review HERE!

I really liked this one, so much nostalgia, and even my wife read it! :lol:

Charco

Post by Charco » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:54 pm

There have been quite a few articles on Neo Geo games the last few months, Shock Troopers, Samurai Shodown, and The Last Blade. Hoping for a Neo Geo bookazine :)

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:41 am

Charco wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:54 pm
There have been quite a few articles on Neo Geo games the last few months, Shock Troopers, Samurai Shodown, and The Last Blade. Hoping for a Neo Geo bookazine :)
Sounds good to me, where do I sign up? LOL