What did you prefer: cassettes or 5¼" floppies?

Discuss the games of yesteryear while feeling all fuzzy inside.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Which do you prefer... cassettes, or big 5¼" floppies??

Cassettes
57%
Big Floppies
43%

Total votes: 23

ivarf

Re: What did you prefer: cassettes or 5¼" floppies?

Post by ivarf » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:29 pm

The Laird wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:22 am
ivarf wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:34 am
Did anything except cartridges beat the Amstrad CPC 6128 at speed for loading games?
Disk loading on the Atari computers is really fast, I think its been quoted as the fastest of all the 8-bits. I think this is due to the design where the disk drive has it's own processor and the high speed SIO connection (the predecessor to USB).
Somehow, your desciption with drives own processor reminds me of the very slow Commodore C64 design. LOL

But the Atari drive can still be fast :)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:50 pm

Sticking a CPU in the drive was very much a cost-saving measure at the time because dedicated disk controller chips were about ten times the price.

However, there's nothing inherently wrong with having a serial connection to the drive. Commodore drives were just slow because they used a very inefficient signalling protocol, which I believe was a quick bodge to be able to hit a release deadline for the VIC-20 with the C64 inheriting the same peripherals. Atari, on the other hand, appear to have made a much better job of it; they just made a mess of the cassette loading system instead.

Spector

Post by Spector » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:07 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:50 pm
Sticking a CPU in the drive was very much a cost-saving measure at the time because dedicated disk controller chips were about ten times the price.

However, there's nothing inherently wrong with having a serial connection to the drive. Commodore drives were just slow because they used a very inefficient signalling protocol, which I believe was a quick bodge to be able to hit a release deadline for the VIC-20 with the C64 inheriting the same peripherals. Atari, on the other hand, appear to have made a much better job of it; they just made a mess of the cassette loading system instead.
The best computer for tape loading was the Spectrum - would you agree this was because the Spectrum was designed for tape loading first and foremost as opposed to the Atari 8 Bits and the Commodore 64?
The Retro Gaming IRC channel. For people who like Retro and love Gaming. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?chann ... mibbit.net

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:32 pm

Spector wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:07 pm
The best computer for tape loading was the Spectrum - would you agree this was because the Spectrum was designed for tape loading first and foremost as opposed to the Atari 8 Bits and the Commodore 64?
There are certain other computers I could mention that had cassette tape drives built into the hardware...