From The Forum issue 183 - Tetris: Best puzzler ever?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

The Laird

Re: From The Forum issue 183 - Tetris: Best puzzler ever?

Post by The Laird » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:41 pm

CodyJarrett wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:13 pm
NorthWay wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:06 pm
Oh, and as for best Tetris version, there was an Amiga Scene version by a Norwegian (IIRC) that I thought was utterly slick. Exact names escapes me atm.
Twintris or Super Twintris?
There's loads of good PD versions on the 16-bit machines. I particularly liked Teserae on the Atari ST: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdKCecXVnu8

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:12 pm

if my original gameboy had still worked, i'd still be playing it
one of the few games that gave me THE VISION 8)

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:03 pm

CodyJarrett wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:13 pm
Twintris or Super Twintris?
Ah, I'd be guessing on the first. Kinda rings a bell.

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:16 pm

joefish wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:37 pm
Nope. Got to be Buzzsaw+ (Box Deluxe Mix) on the Spectrum.
This is a completely independent and unbiased opinion, of course. :D :D :D
Seriously though, I like Tetris, but have rather had my fill of it over the years. Personally I think Puzzle Bobble is probably one of the best alternatives out there, particularly for the variety given by the Vs. and Puzzle modes. And though it's a shoot-em-up at the core, Twinkle Star Sprites carries with it the 'PvP strategy' spirit of a lot of falling-block puzzlers.

I really liked the play mechanics of Cosmo Gang the Puzzle / Pac-Attack, but the way the drop sped up far too soon then bizarrely slowed down again was just mad. It's progress model seemed all wrong to me, which is how Buzzsaw came about. I wanted to slow it down at the start to allow for more strategic planning of your moves, as you learn to do with Tetris.

As for Columns, it was a nice try, but rotating the stack of 3 items vertically just didn't work for me. I find a rotating L-shape of 3 items a lot easier to visualise and place, much like the rotating Tetris pieces.

Now, are you including block-swapping puzzles too, as I have had a lot of fun with Zookeeper? Although again, that seems to have a poor progress model. The act of adding one more creature type can makes the puzzle exponentially more difficult, such that you eventually hit a wall where one level is so much harder than the last you just have to give up.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:52 pm

Baku Baku Animal - A great spin on the 'connect 3 or more of the same' puzzler. Lovely animal animations to keep the game fresh and entertaining on each play.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:19 pm

It's a tough call between Tetris on the Game Boy or Columns on the Mega Drive. Spent countless hours playing both.
Press Play On Tape

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:02 pm

the_hawk wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:40 pm
Tetris is not a puzzle game, there's nothing to solve, it's a twitch reaction arcade game.

But in term of "Tetris style" games, there's been like a billion clones each trying to add their own (Dr) Spin to proceedings.
Although there are some interesting variations, most of the gimmicks are pretty unnecessary & the simplicity of the original still reigns supreme.

I agree, it is not a puzzle game. It doesn't have a solution. If there was some way of knowing or ensuring what the next tiles to appear are, then yes. Stu Campbell said it was more like a shooter than a puzzle game, and I'm inclined to agree (esp if you play it upside down).

Best 'block' game is Twintris, best puzzler (assuming the likes of adventure games don't count) is probably Gremlin's Deflektor. I would have said Split Personalities, but the random dropping-in of hazards may exclude it.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Extraprawns

Post by Extraprawns » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:59 pm

Nobody's mentioned Dr Mario? Yeah tetris is a classic but I find Dr Mario(NES) far more creative, with additional game mechanics and an actual objective - wipe out the viruses.

Silence the Fallen

Post by Silence the Fallen » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:25 pm

With games like Columns, Puyo Puyo, Baku Baku and Zoo Keeper I don't know if I feel Tetris is the best puzzel game ever but its undoubtedly a classic.

I can say with great certainty that, for me, Tetris DS is the best version of Tetris ever made. Its nintendo themed and has some amazing modes of play. There is Standard Tetris mode. Mission mode which plays like Standard mode but tasks you with specific instructions on how to clear the lines. Push mode that sees you attempting to make lines and push the opponent out of the play field. It resembles a mish mash of American football and Tetris and plays like a tug of war. Touch mode has a tower of Tetris blocks where you use the stylus and slide them back and forth to complete lines and reduce the size of the tower. Puzzle mode consists of a playfield partially filled with Tetris pieces and gives you a handful of select pieces to place clear out the playfied. Catch mode has pieces falling from the top of the screen onto a central rotating playfield.

Tetris DS has fresh, original modes of play all wrapped up in a Nintedo nostalgia filled package and I love every minute of it.

davyK

Post by davyK » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:07 pm

Tetris is a work of inspiration. Of course it isn't a true puzzle - but it kick started a genre. It feels like it was discovered instead of invented. People will be playing Tetris 1000 years from now.

Puyo Puyo is a better game though. It's a deeper game but the price it pays is that is isn't as accessible as Tetris. So it depends on what mood I'm as to which game I'd prefer at any one time. But I'd say that Puyo Puyo 2 is the best puzzle game ever.

For a 2 player version of Tetris the most enjoyable casual game is the variant on the Tetris & Dr. Mario cartridge for the SNES. It has a 2 player B mode which is a race to 25 lines with garbage attacks on. I don't think it would be a good version for experts players but I have used this variant with a projector and big screen in office competitions and it goes down really well. You can also configure Tetris Evolution on the 360 to recreate this mode but I haven't tried that in a work competition yet. The blocky pixelly look of the SNES game looks great on the big projected screen :)

My favourite version overall though is Tetris Party Deluxe for the Wii by Hudson. The amount of content is staggering and what is really unusual is that it features a pile of new modes and ways to play that are actually very enjoyable - which usually isn't the case when someone tried to mess about with the formula. There are some co-op and 2v2 modes as well that are excellent fun.

I really like the look of Puyo Puyo v Tetris :)

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:13 pm

I was never a fan of Tetris. A review of Tetris Attack in Nintendo Official Magazine convinced me it was different enough from Tetris, and Tetris Attack became my favourite puzzler of all-time. It's especially fun (and tense) playing multiplayer with my brother - building up massive chains and dropping huge blocks on each others' screens, frantically trying to clear blocks. One of the most satisfying games there is when your skills (and/or luck) all come together.

Wetrix (originally on N64) is another great puzzler that enhanced the Tetris formula.

davyK

Post by davyK » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:08 pm

TheAlex wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:13 pm
I was never a fan of Tetris. A review of Tetris Attack in Nintendo Official Magazine convinced me it was different enough from Tetris, and Tetris Attack became my favourite puzzler of all-time. It's especially fun (and tense) playing multiplayer with my brother - building up massive chains and dropping huge blocks on each others' screens, frantically trying to clear blocks. One of the most satisfying games there is when your skills (and/or luck) all come together.

Wetrix (originally on N64) is another great puzzler that enhanced the Tetris formula.
Tetris Attack is a reskinned game called Panel De Pon.

It's a excellent game too - however expert level 2p versus games can go on a awful long time from what I've seen.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:17 am

Just started reading this issue, and this may be the first edition that my partner took interest in, as she LOVES Tetris (must be some sort of eastern european thing!) :lol:

Love the original Gameboy version of Tetris (perhaps THE essential GB game), and sure its where most people got started, but we got totally hooked on Tetris DS - especially playing multiplayer. The Nintendo soundtrack on it was sublime.