What games would you like to see remastered?

Discuss the games of yesteryear while feeling all fuzzy inside.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

thebear

Re: What games would you like to see remastered?

Post by thebear » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:45 am

Rogue Squadron, all of them, multi platform release
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Fri May 04, 2018 9:25 am

Deus Ex. Still nothing come close to this for me, only the dodgy visuals and AI age it.

Demon's Souls, obviously.

F-Zero GX - SORT IT OUT NINTENDO.

Burnout 2 - the best of the series, and I will fight anyone that prefers the rancid turd that is Takedown over this masterpiece of arcade racing.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri May 04, 2018 7:41 pm

I agree about the Rogue Squadron games, it's a bit lame that they're still exclusive to the Cube, when they could be remastered in glorious HD visuals on modern platforms, but it seems there is some issues with licensing going on. Maybe Nintendo had a hand in their creation? If so, atleast a Switch re-release should have happened.

F-Zero is a funny one, it seems after GX and some GBA games the franchise just died-off. We know they haven't sold all too well, but X and GX still seem like perfect re-release material, the X perhaps getting a 3DS release with 3D visuals and slightly upped quality and GX a Switch re-release with updated HD visuals and multiplayer. Both games would benefit a ton from a track editor too, something only 64DD owners could experience. Otherwise, I suggest to all F-Z fans to check out RedOut, as it's a brilliant modern-day Sci-Fi arcade racer in the tradition of F-Zero, WipEout and other classic futuristic arcade racers (Grip is also worth checking out, currently a PC-only "early access" title that feels like a throwback to Rollcage but with a modern presentation).

I'll be a bit blunt and say the original Deus Ex doesn't need remastering, as we know the PC modders always do these things by themselves, so by all means check out Deus Ex Revision, the great fan remaster of this classic game. Those hoping for a modern-day Deus Ex that would play the same as the original are probably in for a disappointment though. It's symptomatic for the modern "AAA" titles to cater to the broadest possible audience and, as we may know, the somewhat "hardcore" gameplay mechanics of the original made it a commercial failure (but at the same time a "cult classic" as well).

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun May 06, 2018 1:46 am

Would like to see Silent Hill games 1-4 given the remaster and upgrade makeover, and have as much effort put on them as the Resident Evil remake for cube

Retromancave

Post by Retromancave » Fri May 18, 2018 7:43 am

Paul Woakes Mercenary in VR. The intro sequence alone as you crash down to Targ would make it an instant hit, and then the action, exploration and puzzle elements to work through to escape the planet could come together beautifully for a remake.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri May 18, 2018 8:32 am

Matt_B wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:25 am
I've been playing Arnhem, Desert Rats and Vulcan lately and think they'd all stand up well with a modernized user interface and graphics. I think what's particularly nice about them is that they find a middle ground between the unrealistic board game mechanics of games like Civilization and the real time mouse dexterity tests like Total War, and we could use more games like that.

That might seem a tough ask, but R. T. Smith released a belated sequel to Armada 2525 (imaginatively titled Armada 2526) a few years back so maybe he'll eventually get around to sprucing up his early games as well.

Also, a few years back I'd have answered Chaos and Lords of Midnight to this question, but we got re-makes of both of those since and they were very good too.

Good call on the old strategy games. O'd like to see an updated Theatre Europe too (although the 16 bit versions were good). Don't make them more complicated, don't turn them into 3d, just polish the graphics, improve the sound and put them into a mouse-driven interface.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"