Atari VCS

Discuss the games of yesteryear while feeling all fuzzy inside.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

The Laird

Re: Atari VCS

Post by The Laird » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:20 am

Matt_B wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:31 am
Just to add another alarm bell, it turns out that the Tempest 4000 footage was faked. Llamasoft have confirmed that there isn't a port to the VCS, or even Linux, under development.

https://www.reddit.com/r/retrogaming/co ... hat_atari/

Atari have since backpedaled and admitted that they showed the PC version, but they still put a very misleading description on their video. Also, knowing that now, I'd be suspicious that all the other footage we saw in the trailers was basically just a rigged demo too.

Ah well, at least that explains why they're saying 14 months to delivery. They've probably not even finished the hardware yet.
Since then Jeff Minter has come out and said that Tempest 4000 will definitely be on the Atari VCS, it's being worked on right now and the system is definitely coming.

Poor old Jeff, he's good at backing the wrong horse - Falcon, Panther, Jaguar, Jaguar CD, NUON etc.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:09 am

The Laird wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:20 am
Since then Jeff Minter has come out and said that Tempest 4000 will definitely be on the Atari VCS, it's being worked on right now and the system is definitely coming.

Poor old Jeff, he's good at backing the wrong horse - Falcon, Panther, Jaguar, Jaguar CD, NUON etc.
At least he's learned his lessons and will only be backing it with a port of a game that'll be over a year old by then and you can play on anything else under the sun.

As for Atari, congratulations to them for securing the stable door after the horse has bolted. While they might have done well enough from the crowdfunding to the extent that making the hardware would be a worthwhile exercise, this really doesn't bode well for them supplying it with much software.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:04 pm

I think those specs and price points would be totally fine for a portable system. A Switch-beating portable is what could have stood a chance on this cutthroat market, imo. They already had some relative success with the Lynx back in it's day, a much more sophisticated (and large, battery-hungry) handheld system compared to the then most popular monochromatic (or green-yellow-black) Game Boy.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:20 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:09 am
The Laird wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:20 am

At least he's learned his lessons and will only be backing it with a port of a game that'll be over a year old by then and you can play on anything else under the sun.

As for Atari, congratulations to them for securing the stable door after the horse has bolted. While they might have done well enough from the crowdfunding to the extent that making the hardware would be a worthwhile exercise, this really doesn't bode well for them supplying it with much software.
The amount of games Atari have in their back catalogue that they could release for the Atari VCS is ridiclous, I actually did a video talking about some of the titles they should re-release on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk7ei6bT4vg

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:46 pm

The Laird wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:20 pm
The amount of games Atari have in their back catalogue that they could release for the Atari VCS is ridiclous, I actually did a video talking about some of the titles they should re-release on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk7ei6bT4vg
Yeah, but but the emphasis should be on could. Realistically, with none of their other consoles even coming close to the success of the 2600, all of them and their games catalogues will only have niche appeal. That's not to say that they couldn't add significant value for a small number of hardcore Atari fans by doing just that; and this would at least give a justification for the VCS hardware being considerably more powerful and expensive than that of the Flashback 8 because it's in the realms of being capable of actually doing this. However, Atari presumably don't have the in house skills to do this - being more of an IP licensing business than a technology one these days - so they'd need to both find someone suitable to do it, and crunch the numbers as to whether it's likely to pay for itself in sales.

I wouldn't say that I'm too hopeful, particularly given that they've announced nothing of that sort. It's all either Atari Vault (i.e. arcade and 2600) or modern games with nothing in between. There may, of course, be a DIY option if you get easy access to the underlying OS though.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:46 am

Well they have now confirmed that as well as having 2600 and arcade titles it will also feature Atari 8-bit games too, so that's a start!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:01 am

The Laird wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:46 am
Well they have now confirmed that as well as having 2600 and arcade titles it will also feature Atari 8-bit games too, so that's a start!
That's a welcome development. Hopefully they'll post up a list of illustrative titles (obviously not final, because nothing else is at this stage) and let us know who will be doing the development for it.

Well, either that or there'll be an embarrassing retraction if it turns out that whoever said it doesn't know the difference between the 2600 and their 8-bit computers. :D

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:21 am

It's good to know it (should) be more than 2600 and arcade titles we've seen time and again, and hopefully expands to 7800 and possible jag. We'll see, I'm still at the wait and see what emerges.

I am liking the sound of the Return of Intellivision. But again will wait and see. We've been burnt by quite a few promising sounding retro projects now which sound good in theory but don't live up to the promotion and when finally appearing tend to be cheaply made but premium priced- IF they appear.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:49 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:01 am
The Laird wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:46 am
That's a welcome development. Hopefully they'll post up a list of illustrative titles (obviously not final, because nothing else is at this stage) and let us know who will be doing the development for it.

Well, either that or there'll be an embarrassing retraction if it turns out that whoever said it doesn't know the difference between the 2600 and their 8-bit computers. :D
These are the confirmed Atari 8-bit games, as they are also appearing on the Flashback Collection 3 for Xbox One/PS4/PC too.

Asteroids
Centipede
Countermeasure
Final Legacy
Micro-gammon
Millipede
Miniature Golf
Missile Command
Realsports Baseball
Realsports Basketball
Realsports Football
Realsports Tennis
Star Raiders
Super Breakout
Xari Arena

The real gems in there are Countermeasure, Star Raiders and Xari Arena.

I don't see why it's worth including the arcade ports when they could just use the real thing. There are still plenty of other Atari 8-bit games to choose from including stuff like Star Raiders 2, Thunder Fox, Desert Falcon, Dark Chambers, Star Trux, Scram, Moon Base, Twilight World, Computer Chess, Speed Hawk, Slingshot and Kingdom (among many others)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:33 pm

Yeah, that's a bit of an underwhelming selection, although I guess it's long been the Atari way to mix in a handful of genuine classics with a shovelful of filler. And it's going to be ported to other systems before it reaches the VCS too, so still doesn't really present a compelling argument for that hardware.

It looks like Code Mystics will be developing it, given that they also did the other Flashback Classics compilations, so we can expect a similar job.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:27 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:33 pm
Yeah, that's a bit of an underwhelming selection, although I guess it's long been the Atari way to mix in a handful of genuine classics with a shovelful of filler. And it's going to be ported to other systems before it reaches the VCS too, so still doesn't really present a compelling argument for that hardware.

It looks like Code Mystics will be developing it, given that they also did the other Flashback Classics compilations, so we can expect a similar job.
Well...yeah. Theres still not nearly enough point of difference yet, I am honestly baffled by the massive backing they have had in their kickstarter with so little information. I sincerely hope they deliver a great product to reward the faith shown in them.

WaveRacer

Post by WaveRacer » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:51 pm

I have to admit that I find it hard to get excited about anything Atari related anymore.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:26 pm

Honestly its another Ouya. The case looks cool and thats about it.

Its not Atari just like the TV on the wall in front of me is not a Kodack. Its a name nothing more.
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

acidbottle

Post by acidbottle » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:08 am

massively overpriced, made worse by the 'wooden finish' version being $100 more! Oddly though, the new joysticks seem a decent deal and look smart.

gonna pass on this, really was hyped for it in the past 12 months to :(

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:45 am

WaveRacer wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:51 pm
I have to admit that I find it hard to get excited about anything Atari related anymore.
I'm struggling to get motivated about most retro systems now, so many hyped and promising units have come and gone, crashed and burned. Some of the new Mini and plug and play systems are good- like the Nintendo ones, and to a lesser degree the Atari flashback 8 and Retrocade- Because they do what they say they do at a reasonable price (availability and scalpers permitting).

I am still picking my jaw up from the amazement at how much this Atari kickstarter has taken in given the little really known about it. I have yet to be convinced.