Franchises and games you are surprised haven't returned

Discuss the games of yesteryear while feeling all fuzzy inside.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

outdated_gamer

Re: Franchises and games you are surprised haven't returned

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:40 am

Not really surprised about anything, times change, so does the gaming audience. It's us, old dinosaurs (pun... :wink: ), who want more of what we liked when we were younger. If those classic remakes and remasters can catch a fresher audience, all the better. As far as I'm concerned, I always appreciate long-running or returning franchises, even if they make a re-appearance that isn't quite what we would have expected. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:15 am

Not sure if surprised is the right word, or perhaps just disappointed, but I always expected a Knights of the Old Republic III. The Dark Force/Jedi Knight series probably could've churned out a few more, too.

There absolutely needs to be a new Burnout game (and not an open-world one like Paradise was). I'm also very surprised that there hasn't been a new Alan Wake.

Going back a bit further, I expected more Gek, Timesplitter, Darkstalkers, Crash Bandicoot and Power Stone games.

All just wishful thinking, perhaps!
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:41 pm

che_don_john wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:15 am
Not sure if surprised is the right word, or perhaps just disappointed, but I always expected a Knights of the Old Republic III. The Dark Force/Jedi Knight series probably could've churned out a few more, too.

There absolutely needs to be a new Burnout game (and not an open-world one like Paradise was). I'm also very surprised that there hasn't been a new Alan Wake.
More surprising is that we didn't see a Knights of the Republic/Empire game covering the prequel/OT time period, since the Old Republic games never really felt like Star Wars to me.

Have there been any Star Wars adventure games beyond the KOTORs? All the others I can think of are very much action based (Jedi Knight etc).

I'm with you on Burnout though, we really need a new Burnout 2 style game.

thebear

Post by thebear » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:00 pm

ncf1 wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:26 am
Hmm.. that's a very good question. Most definitely Tiger Woods on PC because they were the best golf games but then of course things went off the rails with him and so no more TW on PC.

They just morphed to Rory McIlroy PGA Tour
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:39 am

thebear wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:00 pm
ncf1 wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:26 am
Hmm.. that's a very good question. Most definitely Tiger Woods on PC because they were the best golf games but then of course things went off the rails with him and so no more TW on PC.

They just morphed to Rory McIlroy PGA Tour
Yeah, for one game and, with that selling poorly and getting indifferent reviews, it's been on ice for the past couple of years.

Also, the last PC game was released in 2011. It's been consoles only since then.

icemann

Post by icemann » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:46 am

C&C / Warcraft style RTS games. I love my RPGs and sandbox / open world games as much as the next person, but what the hell happened to RTS games. Used to be so many. Now we never get any. This needs to change.

C&C 3 was the last good one that I can think of. Red Alert 3 was meh and we do not speak of C&C 4. Outside of the big franchises we got "Grey Goo" which was excellent (and had Frank Klepacki on music) but that was the last new one that I've played.
Bipolar Game PC Edition available at: https://store.steampowered.com/app/463450/Bipolar_Game/

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:28 am

I loved the classic (as in original & Red Alert) style of C&C - but EA have recently announced that they're making it into a mobile game - and then responded to backlash by saying gamers don't know what they want...

I am kind of surprised that Perfect Dark never got tried again after the xbox 360 travesty with infamous "ragdoll physics glitch" that would eventually have dead enemies flying around the stage - both freaking out the player and freaking out the NPCs. I'd also love to see the classic Phantasy Star series (as in before the online generations of games) revisited - and for them to actually come out in the west.
Where logic won't work, I will

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:57 am

Liked EA back in the early 90's, as a huge NFL fan i loved the Madden games.

I also love mobile gaming but EA are one of the worst, everythings freemium, just crazy. Just want an old fashioned port of C&C Red Alert but they'll ruin it for sure. But again when it comes to mobile gaming i blame the gamers, waiting for price drops on a £2 game or begging for promo codes. Crying the second a games over £3. Its their fault freemium is huge

But yeah C&C i would love to see return, LOVED that back in the mid/late 90's, remember us all playing that on the LAN at work, staying behind till about 9pm as we played game after game. Good times !!

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:15 am

psj3809 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:57 am
Liked EA back in the early 90's, as a huge NFL fan i loved the Madden games.
That reminded me about the NFL/NBA Street games which seem to have gone away.

NBA Jam came back a few years back but perhaps it didn't sell very well? I'm surprised it didn't become a big online multiplayer thing. Perhaps people just prefer the simulation stuff these days?
Pratty's trade list, updated (June 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:21 am

Speaking of EA....but not shocked to see its not returned, but the (Desert) Strike series disappeared after Nuclear Strike in 1997. Always liked these games (especially the 16 bit ones), and been playing some of them again recently on Megadrive.

Come on EA, put out a remastered Strike anthology!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:26 pm

I loved The Sentinal, and the slow and surprisingly engrossing gameplay.

Sentinal returns on PS1 was quite good, but a new game with great visuals and ambient soundtrack would be fab

Lode Runner. Loved that game and it's variants, even the N64 Lode runner which didn't get a lot of love, I think that one would be due a good remaster.

Other than that, some of these old eccentric games I think would be most welcome in new remastered versions. Jet set willy, Highway Encounter, 3D Ant Attack, Atic Attack, Nodes of....these are real oldies that may find a new audience. Although some have appeared on Mini systems, a remaster of them if licences permit I would love to see. Perhaps old 2600 games, River Raid, HERO etc

parappa

Post by parappa » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:33 am

I always thought Earthworm Jim would get a longer reign as a big character than what he got. It amazes me that Spyro and Crash are still in the charts but not ol Jimmy

icemann

Post by icemann » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:17 pm

I remember distinctly hating EA during the 90s. They destroyed many of the best companies out there, during that decade.

To quote a description of them from a RG article (RG 139) description of them that I just finished reading - "They were like the borg. If they bought your company, then your company was dead. Bought for name only".
Bipolar Game PC Edition available at: https://store.steampowered.com/app/463450/Bipolar_Game/

thebear

Post by thebear » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:31 am

Rogue Squardon
TimeSplitters
Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance
Maximo
Command and Conquer
Half Bloody Life

are some I would love to see come back
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

thebear

Post by thebear » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:33 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:21 am
Speaking of EA....but not shocked to see its not returned, but the (Desert) Strike series disappeared after Nuclear Strike in 1997. Always liked these games (especially the 16 bit ones), and been playing some of them again recently on Megadrive.

Come on EA, put out a remastered Strike anthology!
They were on EA replayon PSP, not remastered though I dont think