The Book of the Game of the Film: now available in paperback!

Discuss the games of yesteryear while feeling all fuzzy inside.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

jerellis1

Re: The Book of the Game of the Film: available now! Get 'em while they're hot!

Post by jerellis1 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:24 pm

It's cold outside, so I'd recommend staying in and curling up on the sofa with a hot chocolate and the following (previously unposted) selection of pages from The Book of the Game of the Film! Only around 110 copies remaining now, but still time to grab one from the Golem Books website: https://jerellis1.wixsite.com/golembooks :)

020 BRUCE LEE.jpg
020 BRUCE LEE.jpg (2.81 MiB) Viewed 286 times
061 BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA.jpg
061 BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA.jpg (2.85 MiB) Viewed 286 times
158 PLAY YOUR CARDS RIGHT.jpg
158 PLAY YOUR CARDS RIGHT.jpg (2.77 MiB) Viewed 286 times

jerellis1

Post by jerellis1 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:26 pm

Oh, go on, have a couple more:

211 BRIAN JACKS.jpg
211 BRIAN JACKS.jpg (2.95 MiB) Viewed 286 times
249 MACBETH.jpg
249 MACBETH.jpg (2.75 MiB) Viewed 286 times

:D

jerellis1

Post by jerellis1 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:07 pm

Possibly a tiny bit self-indulgent, this, but seeing as there are only a couple of official reviews out there at the moment, I thought I'd just share some of the direct responses I've received over the past few weeks from readers who've been diving into The Book of the Game of the Film:

Just received the book; it looks fantastic. Thanks!

Hi Jerry, The book arrived today! I’ve had a quick flick through and it looks fantastic. The book itself is very well put together, and the contents look like they will be a great read! Was very cool to see myself on the all time heroes list. I hope that you will do another book some time!

Got the book today and I am very pleased with my purchase. Only had time to flick through but it looks great and am intrigued by the number of games I have never heard. So I have some new games to play!

Hi Jerry, just a quick note to say I received your book yesterday and it's fantastic. High quality and a massive nostalgia trip, I love it. You've done a great job.

Hi Jerry. Just wanted to confirm that I have recieved the books and they are great. Now please start working on a 16-bit book :-)

Just writing to let you know the book arrived. Looks great and can't wait to get started on it!

Thanks for my copy. You have a nice easy style to your writing… I enjoyed reading some of the very informative passages. Who would have known that "The Young Ones, was in truth, a fairly drab graphic adventure...", who would have cared enough to write about it? Obviously you did and it shows, in this very complete work.

Hi Jerry,  I got the book today, wonderful work, well done! I will be buying your other book next week. Thank you very much, T.

I’ve got stuck in, and I’m loving it! Well researched. Visually great. Easy and not dry or boring to read, and plenty of titles I never knew even existed (there was a game based on Psycho? Really?!). It’s a fantastic collection of the good, the bad, the ugly… All in all, 10 out of 10 and worth every penny. This 80s kid is very happy.

The book arrived safely at the end of last week, but as I was away last weekend (at a retro computer festival!) I've only just had a chance to have a proper look through it. Loving the style and presentation, and as a BBC Micro owner back then, I'm very pleased to see the Acorn machines get more love than they usually do in these types of game collections. Looking forward to reading about some of the classic games on other systems that I missed back then!

Hi Jerry, Your book is truly great, D. (70% left)

Hi Jerry, Congratulations on a job well done! You know, I remember buying your '8-Bit Book: 1981-199X' back in the September of 2009 - just about when this whole 'retro revival' thing was getting started - and I must admit that it gives me a nice, warm feeling deep down inside to know that you're still around and making a triumphant return to writing. I've found your first book to be both a great comfort and a great companion. Not only does it serve as a fun road map - giving directions to games that I might have missed BITD, but also something more. If I've had a bit of a day in work; found myself 'contractually obliged' to spend the day doing something I'd rather not; or have had to spend the day traipsing around somewhere I'd never have gone of my own accord, then it gives me a great comfort to know that when I get home I can give my wife a hug, fuss the cat, make a cup of tea and escape into a few pages of your book. After all, every man needs a hiding place. Wishing you the best of luck with your future, and many thanks again for rose-tinting my world and keeping me safe from my trouble and pain, J.

Got my copy of it last week, I'm really enjoying it… it’s full of little facts and information that make you go 'oh!' and tell you things you didn't know. I was reading up about Hero Quest this lunchtime, and Run The Gauntlet yesterday and it's a lot of fun. Really great work.

Got mine today and I'm happy to say it's a beauty. Seriously good job on the design, layout, content. It's a beefy little book. I'll be going through it for some time. And now I want to play Jaws: The Text Adventure. Always fancied being a shark.

Got mine too, looks fab.

… it’s excellent.

… super excited to be at my parents' house when your book arrived!! It's stunning! I'm looking forward to diving in to the details. Well done!!

My book arrived and I've already enjoyed leafing through it! Delighted to be printed on the All Time Heroes list too! Great job, sir! Very proud!

My book arrived today, Jerry. Looks brilliant.

… this isn't a dry look at the games concerned, wibbling on about graphics and technical issues, or even a reviews book. TBOFGOTF is, above all, fun to read. Yes! Fun!

… the new book of the game of the film is fab so far! So much detail!

Congrats mate - I reckon those 250 books will sell out in no time!

Love mine! I cant wait to start reading it over a nice lager n lime…

Hi Jerry, Received the book and have had a good look through and enjoyed thoroughly. Well done it was full of wonderful nostalgic moments as promised. I’ll have to look into picking up your other book and put me on your mailing list if you have one for future like books. Many thanks! G.

Hi Jerry, I’ve been reading the book for the past few days and am truly loving it!  So many obscure movie-based games I’ve never known, and very entertainingly written.  Having lived in the US all my life, many of these European-only releases from the micros of the era are entirely unknown to me, so it’s great fun to explore this world of games I’d been unaware of, based on films I’ve loved all my life. Thanks and great work! Kind regards, J.

Books are awesome. Great job!

... got mine today, looks great!

Only just over 100 copies left by the way, so if you want to join in the fun before they're all gone then please feel free to make your way in a disorderly fashion to the Golem Books website: https://jerellis1.wixsite.com/golembooks

:)

jerellis1

Post by jerellis1 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:07 pm

There are now fewer than 100 copies of The Book of the Game of the Film remaining (93, to be precise, out of a strictly limited run of just 250!) Praise for the book has continued to roll in since my last update. Here’s what readers have been saying:

"That's one awesome book! I enjoy it very much. Very high quality print and hard cover along with awesome stories of some of our beloved movies and games. Fantastic job Jerry Ellis!"

"I have both the books and I must say they are very well written. I enjoyed reading them."

"I can recommend both books, well written and presented with lots of interesting facts and background detail."

"Hi Jerry, Just received my copy of The Book of the Game of the Film… I ordered the book immediately after reading your interview in Retro Gamer magazine, having a great title and awesome 8-bit cover image… it was the type of book right up my street! The amount of work and research required must have been enormous as the details about each game and its source film/tv are excellent… Many thanks for all the hard work with your latest book and The 8-Bit Book too. E."

"Hi Jerry. Just to let you know, book arrived safely. Only read a few chapters so far but loving it! Thanks, R."

"I am loving my read and throw back into better times and better gaming!"

"Hi Jerry, The book arrived. It is astounding. A real treasure trove of information. Thanks so much, J."

"A lot of love and effort involved with this book. Recommended ... You won't be disappointed."

"Very good book, well written, and you definitely learn lots of facts from it... Not only pictures, unlike some other books."

"I highly recommend this book to anyone with an interest in 8-bit gaming. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading it. S."

If you’re a UK resident and would like to see what all the fuss is about before it’s too late, off you pop to the Golem Books website: https://jerellis1.wixsite.com/golembooks … there you can purchase a copy of either The Book of the Game of the Film or The 8-Bit Book - 1981 to 199x… or both, if you want to really spoil yourself! If you’re based overseas, drop me a line at jerellis1@yahoo.com and I’ll get straight back to you with all the pertinent international postage details. Cheers all!

DUST JACKET FRONT.jpg
DUST JACKET FRONT.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 251 times
258 ERIK THE VIKING.jpg
258 ERIK THE VIKING.jpg (2.88 MiB) Viewed 251 times
121 THE ADDAMS FAMILY.jpg
121 THE ADDAMS FAMILY.jpg (2.82 MiB) Viewed 251 times

This way for the Golem Books website ---> https://jerellis1.wixsite.com/golembooks :)

The Laird

Re: The Book of the Game of the Film: fewer than 100 copies remain, so make haste!

Post by The Laird » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:14 pm

I did a review of this rather lovely book on You Tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1hgyO5csn8

8)

Crusty Starfish

Re: The Book of the Game of the Film: fewer than 100 copies remain, so make haste!

Post by Crusty Starfish » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:19 pm

The Laird wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:14 pm
I did a review of this rather lovely book on You Tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1hgyO5csn8

8)
Good review there. Just need to point out that Kung Fu Master was based on a film....
It was called Spartan X in Japan to tie in with the Jackie Chan movie of the same name..better known In the West as Wheels On Meals.

It also takes inspiration from Bruce Lees original design for his last ever movie, Game Of Death (1973)

:wink:

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:36 pm

I knew it was called Spartan X but didn't know it was based on a film. Learn something new every day :D

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:08 pm

Jerry actually mentions this in the review of Kung fu Master in the book? How did you miss that? Assuming you mustn't have read that far in when you came across it ? I concur that this book is exceptional with very little to say bad things against it, other than the physical size of the book which to me is undeserving of the content inside the book, would loved this in a full portrait book format. And proud owner of number 143 of the book ;)
↓↓Click Banners to See More↓↓
ImageImage

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:52 am

I'm the proud owner of the best numbered book....

No. 64

:mrgreen:

jerellis1

Re: The Book of the Game of the Film: officially a sell-out in 77... 76... 75 copies!

Post by jerellis1 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:40 am

Here's the RVG review, in case anyone's not yet seen it: http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/the-bo ... lm-review/

On the issue of the book's physical size, I did look into the possibility of having it printed in A4 landscape format, but the high cost for such a small print run turned out to be prohibitive and would have virtually doubled the price of the book, so I went for A5 instead. Personally I think it works really well in A5; nice and compact, but hefty enough in your hands to know that you're getting plenty of reading matter for your £24.99-plus-p&p! From the feedback I've had (and there's been a lot of it), it looks like the vast majority agree with me, although I can of course appreciate that a few would have preferred something a bit more paving-slabby. ;)

Down to the last few copies now (well, the last 70 or so), so if you've been thinking about joining in the fun but haven't yet taken the plunge, now's probably a good time to go for it... maybe a trip to the Golem Books website will help you make up your mind...! https://jerellis1.wixsite.com/golembooks

jerellis1

Re: The Book of the Game of the Film: officially a sell-out in 70... 69... 68 copies!

Post by jerellis1 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:22 am

Don't forget to back the 2019 Zzap! 64 Annual Kickstarter campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/47 ... xt-chapter ... and when your copy arrives, check out the back cover for a full-page Golem Books ad and, just maybe, an exciting announcement or two!

jerellis1

Re: The Book of the Game of the Film: only 41 left now... and work on the next book is officially underway!

Post by jerellis1 » Thu May 10, 2018 8:57 pm

Just 41 of these little beauties left now people:

3A2A2B2D-5756-40D9-8346-7359998688B9.jpeg
3A2A2B2D-5756-40D9-8346-7359998688B9.jpeg (2.07 MiB) Viewed 111 times
B17C3EC9-F702-4786-9608-CA10D81F2901.jpeg
B17C3EC9-F702-4786-9608-CA10D81F2901.jpeg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 111 times

If you want in, get yourself down to the Golem Books Superstore, like, right now! https://jerellis1.wixsite.com/golembooks

While you’re in town, don’t forget that these other little beauties are also still available:

DA0F2271-9CF1-4762-B093-DAE51068517B.jpeg
DA0F2271-9CF1-4762-B093-DAE51068517B.jpeg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 111 times

By the way, did I mention that I’ve officially started writing the next book already? Only a few pages done so far (plus the cover, which I hope you’ll be as excited about as I am when you see it), but it should be completely ready this time next year, and I’ll be able to start sharing some details in a few weeks’ time.

jerellis1

Re: The Book of the Game of the Film: only 41 left now... and work on the next book is officially underway!

Post by jerellis1 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:33 am

Just updated my little promo video for The Book of the Game of the Film. Have a peek (and a listen) and let's hear your thoughts!

https://vimeo.com/270630027

Only 37 copies left now - grab yours from the Golem Books website today! https://jerellis1.wixsite.com/golembooks :)