Project Hubbard (Rob Hubbard Kickstarter) is live!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

PaulEMoz

Project Hubbard (Rob Hubbard Kickstarter) is live!

Post by PaulEMoz » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:35 pm

I know there's a bit of Kickstarter fatigue at the moment, but surely a lot of people here would be interested in a Rob Hubbard Kickstarter. Luckily, that Kickstarter exists and went live today!

There are several pledge levels, but the meat of the project is a Rob Hubbard book and a number of Rob Hubbard-based CDs, including new SIDs, previously unreleased or rare material and arrangements of classic tracks in different styles. I'll post a disclaimer, in that I'm involved in the writing of the book, but this will be a great tribute to arguably the greatest musician of the 8-bit era.

Project Hubbard Kickstarter

Crusty Starfish

Re: Project Hubbard (Rob Hubbard Kickstarter) is live!

Post by Crusty Starfish » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:56 pm

I love Rob Hubbards work and can probably hum every tune he ever did on the C64.

But having backed what seems like an endless amount of C64 music stuff and books... I'm struggling to hit the 'Back' button. Not only that, but the pricing is getting way out of hand with these things.

Will have a long hard think (and balance the books) to see if I can genuinely justify the amount needed for the level I want.

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:16 am

I can't pretend to know the ins and outs of a Kickstarter campaign, but Chris Abbott has run several now and he probably knows more about the costings of these things than most by now. It is expensive to produce limited quantities of items though... I have two books in the works and I've looked into small printing runs and the costs can be frightening!

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:46 pm

The add-ons are steep, but I don't have any problem with the main pledges.
Happily backed the £95 level.

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:02 pm

That's the level I'm at. I always like having the stuff. There will be more things added over the campaign, I'm sure I'll be considering my options as to whether I can add anything else before the end!

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:23 am

I'd consider 'stuff' if more options are added later, but £20 for a mug is OTT, haven't got a C64 connected or emulated, don't want vinyl or tape etc.

But Commodore cliche that I am, Hubbard's my fave chiptune composer. I'm getting a Hubbard T-shirt through the Sidologie Kickstarter!

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:48 pm

The stretch goals have been substantially tweaked, which makes it a lot better value for everyone... if we get there and beyond.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:36 pm

I was really interested in this until I found out it was just C64 music, then my appetite quickly vanished.

A real missed opportunity in my opinion as his SID stuff has been done to death. Adding in AY, YM and POKEY stuff would have made it a must have.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:24 am

The Laird wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:36 pm
I was really interested in this until I found out it was just C64 music, then my appetite quickly vanished.

A real missed opportunity in my opinion as his SID stuff has been done to death. Adding in AY, YM and POKEY stuff would have made it a must have.
Weren't most of his tracks on AY, YM and Pokey just worse versions of great C64 tunes though? I've played loads of games on old Atari 8 bits and the music, although fairly good on some games, is usually just missing something - maybe base or something.
Actually, it may have been a youtube vid by you that played music from Atari 8 bit that I watched!! Besides, Hubbard is and always will be the king of C64 music.

Still can't justify the amount of cash needed for this though.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:57 am

Nope. Look up his music for Jet Set Willy on the Atari 8-bit for example or Jupiter Probe on the Atari ST. Both of those were original tracks, not SID conversions.

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:08 pm

The Laird wrote:

Not sure what you mean... one of the CDs in the standard pledge is unreleased material, none of which is from the C64. It's better to look at it as Rob Hubbard music, not SID music. It is, after all, a Rob Hubbard Kickstarter, not a Commodore 64 Kickstarter.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:57 pm

PaulEMoz wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:08 pm
The Laird wrote:

Not sure what you mean... one of the CDs in the standard pledge is unreleased material, none of which is from the C64. It's better to look at it as Rob Hubbard music, not SID music. It is, after all, a Rob Hubbard Kickstarter, not a Commodore 64 Kickstarter.
Well, I somehow missed that part when I was reading but it doesn't really elevate my interest much more without knowing exactly what it is.

And it still doesn't satisfy my want for his classic YM and POKEY tunes either. I don't like the sound of the SID chip so listening to that isn't appealing to me.

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:03 pm

There's only one CD of SIDs, all of which are new pieces.

In the standard pledge, one of the other CDs, Hubbard '80, is an album of "premakes". If you think of the "Thalamusik" piece from the ZZAP! Sampler cassette, which was the Sanxion loading music as played by Rob on a synth, then the album will be like that... classic Hubbard pieces played as early 80s style synth pieces.

The other CD in the standard pledge is an album of unreleased Rob Hubbard music, none of which is from the Commodore 64.

In the deluxe version, none of the extra six CDs will be SIDs. There will be a rock covers CD from the Fastloaders who did Ninja Musicology recently, a CD of big band covers, a CD of covers from Matt Gray and three more besides. I thought the list of contents was comprehensive.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:20 pm

In that case I am even less interested as listening him play music on other instruments doesn't interest me either.

When the Kickstarter creator is called C64 Audio and the first line not only mentions SID music but also a C64 cart I think it's pretty easy to form an impression of what its about. So perhaps it's misleading and they haven't helped themselves much.

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:21 pm

The list of CDs explains who plays what and how. Most of them are other people remixing his music, which is a very popular thing.

The first line of the Kickstarter lists all the things that are going to be in the Kickstarter: book, music, a cart and maybe a concert. Then the Kickstarter breaks it down further.

Not that it matters: if it's not for you, it's not for you. There's certainly no intention to force individuals into backing things they don't want.