what is your biggest disappointment in gaming

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

oldtimer

Re: what is your biggest disappointment in gaming

Post by oldtimer » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:34 am

Mines easy.
XBOX1 looked forward to it for ages specifically to play Fallout4, finally bought one, constant updates, constantly forgetting my password (not me ,the xbox) more updates etc etc , locking me out , finally had enough , ive not used it for months now and its the last current day console I will ever buy!
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:04 am

Matt_B wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:16 am
I'd think the GBC was OK for what it was, and that was a stop-gap. Nintendo were in a bit of a corner after the failure of both Project Atlantis and the Virtual Boy, and the GBA hardware was a couple of years away from being ready. They had to put something out, and a tarted-up Game Boy was their only option if they were looking to sell it to the mass market rather than a small audience of handheld power users.

And yes it's a POC next to the godly NGPC, but that wasn't constrained by having to be backwards compatible with something nearly a decade older. Still, that's where the GBC won it for me; all the old games for my 1989 vintage brick suddenly got a new lease of life.
The GBC wasn't a stop gap, Nintendo wanted it out alot earlier but they couldn't/wouldn't release it until the hardware gave enough of a battery life, it just ended up alot closer to the GBA release. But the truth is games like Pokemon pushed the life of the original Gameboy much further, rendering the GBC even more obsolute by the time it got a few decent exclusives, by which time as you say the GBA came along, imo the GBC will go down in history as one of the most unused or unwanted portables in history.
Tbf the NGPC is backwards compatible with NGP! :wink:

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:31 am

General Opulence wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:04 am
The GBC wasn't a stop gap, Nintendo wanted it out alot earlier but they couldn't/wouldn't release it until the hardware gave enough of a battery life, it just ended up alot closer to the GBA release. But the truth is games like Pokemon pushed the life of the original Gameboy much further, rendering the GBC even more obsolute by the time it got a few decent exclusives, by which time as you say the GBA came along, imo the GBC will go down in history as one of the most unused or unwanted portables in history.
You might not have used or wanted yours much, but millions would differ. And I'm not sure how much sooner they could have had it out; it clearly wasn't in the frame when the GB Pocket had come out a couple of years earlier.

I'd just see it as the first of many mid-generation updates from Nintendo that offered some extra hardware features as well as a change to the form factor. Compare it to the DSi and the New 3DS and it got a pretty good deal in terms of the number and quality of the enhanced and exclusive games; with a catalogue of 500-odd over and above all the GB games it could play it was far better supported than any non-Nintendo handheld prior to the PSP too.

And as for Pokemon, don't forget that four of the games run on the GBC but not earlier models of GB. That was all moot by the time the GBA came out though, I suppose.
Tbf the NGPC is backwards compatible with NGP! :wink:
Yeah, a two year old console at the time, not a nine year old one whose hardware was already antiquated. Still, that SNK and Bandai rushed out colour-enhanced updates to their handhelds in the wake of the GBC suggested that Nintendo had got one thing right, at any rate.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:55 pm

General Opulence wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:53 am
outdated_gamer wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:44 am
General Opulence wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:28 am
Gameboy Color - all the years of rumours of a colour Gameboy, finally arrived 9 long years later, to the biggest disapointment, the main part - the screen is truly awful, unplayable in alot of light conditions, other handhelds at the time did it better such as the Wonderswan and NeoGeo Pocket.
If we're talking hardware, then there's a lot to be discussed. But my reasoning is, most hardware is cost-compromised which means that cuts are being made so that it's more affordable. The only hardware that has no upper cost limits were Arcade machines and nowadays high-end gaming PCs. Only a few consoles were made that had no cost compromises such as the Neo-Geo and they were decidedly niche.
Of course any gaming hardware is cost compromised, but this has no relation to why the screen on the GBC is so bad, as mentioned compared to the NGPC, Nintendo showed they made a bigger profit to lower quality parts and in bigger bulk buying.
Well, Nintendo are pretty well known to "cheapen out" on hardware. The NES had errors with the cartridge system and buttons that wore off fast, the SNES had a slowish CPU (which was somehow compensated with in-cartridge extra chips which also made the games more expensive), the N64 had limited texture memory and some other hardware bottle-necks, the Wii was a slightly updated GameCube with a motion controller attached to it, and of course this goes also for their hand helds - the lack of back light on the Game Boy line (of course the original GB screen was also monochrome aka yellow-greenish) and other compromises. And they actually did make a back lit Game Boy, Game Boy Light, which was released only in Japan, probably because it came out only a bit before the GBC came out. I also heard stories how it was actually the 3rd party developers who pushed Nintendo to bring out the GBC, a very similar story with how the Sega Mega Drive (aka Genesis in NA) pushed them to make the SNES.

markymark91

Post by markymark91 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:28 pm

sonic 2006 has to be up there aswell was the 1st game I brought when i got my xbox 360 but its just a mess it could of been good but they rushed it

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:08 pm

The lack of software support for my Atari XL in the 80s. Would go into Boots or Menzies and there maybe about 5 games to choose from even though it was a great machine.

dave3622

Post by dave3622 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:20 pm

Mine has got to be no DLC for GTA V, despite them saying there was going to be future adventures for Michael, Franklin and Trevor. I bought the PC version, having already bought the PS3 and PS4 versions of this game, simply because I was confident of new missions etc. GTA 4 had two DLC packages so naturally I believed GTA V with it's amazing, enormous map would have the same. How wrong I was. I won't make the same mistake again!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:23 am

It's had LOADS of DLC, more than I can remember for any game. Problem is it's all for the online mode, which is great and all, but I would rather have some new stories too.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:14 am

markymark91 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:38 pm
mine is sonic 4 episode 1 I was hyped right up for it and thought it was going to be better then sonic 1,2,3 and knuckles sadly it was anything but
They made up for it with Sonic Mania though! :P :P :P

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:39 pm

HARD DRIVIN' and SUPER SOCCER on the zx spectrum

the first was great in arcades, on the zx it was a boring stodgy mess, i actually took it back to the shop!

the other, i bought two games that day ..... THE GREAT ESCAPE and that one, guess which one i played the most? i was hoping for a match day 2 beater, instead i got a world cup carnival stinker!!!

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:07 pm

mr jenzie wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:39 pm

the first was great in arcades, on the zx it was a boring stodgy mess, i actually took it back to the shop!
The Speccy couldn't handle Hard Drivin', imho. But that's not a shot at the Speccy, lots of home micros and game consoles back then had horrible ports of Hard Drivin' and Race Drivin'. I think only the Game Boy version of Race Drivin' ran at decent (playlable) speeds. That port motivated Nintendo to make the "Super FX" 3D accelerator chip for the SNES.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:56 am

sscott wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:08 pm
The lack of software support for my Atari XL in the 80s. Would go into Boots or Menzies and there maybe about 5 games to choose from even though it was a great machine.
Yeah it was a real shame and never reached its potential in relation to commercially released games. Great machine when it was the machine that games wre made for, but once the C64 came along it received some really poor ports (if they were released at ll). Still has a fabulous back catalogue, although a the time much of it was unavailable for us in the UK.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:57 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:07 pm
mr jenzie wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:39 pm

The Speccy couldn't handle Hard Drivin', imho. But that's not a shot at the Speccy, lots of home micros and game consoles back then had horrible ports of Hard Drivin' and Race Drivin'. I think only the Game Boy version of Race Drivin' ran at decent (playlable) speeds. That port motivated Nintendo to make the "Super FX" 3D accelerator chip for the SNES.
The Lynx version of Hard Drivin' is very good.

ivortheinjun

Post by ivortheinjun » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:00 pm

Sonic Chaos on the MS. Just rubbish. Reviews at the time were glowing, saying it was some kind of technical marvel, but it was just sinfully easy, and really not all that impressive to look at.

Having been obsessed with the 8-bit Sonic II, Chaos was one of the few games of the era I bought in the week of release, but it's also the only one I traded in.

All SSX games after Tricky have been a grave disappointment too. For me they just completely miss what that game got so, so right. The length of some of the levels in the later games is just ridiculous, and dropping local multiplayer was just madness.

markymark91

Post by markymark91 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:22 am

Ryan GH wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:14 am
markymark91 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:38 pm
mine is sonic 4 episode 1 I was hyped right up for it and thought it was going to be better then sonic 1,2,3 and knuckles sadly it was anything but
They made up for it with Sonic Mania though! :P :P :P
unfortunately im yet to play it