Save our forum!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

sscott

Re: Save our forum!

Post by sscott » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:05 pm

The format medium is the problem now with so many ways to interact with more immediate responses. Forums feel now like sending a letter in the mail. It's a shame but inevitable sadly.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:49 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:51 am
Shinobi wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:04 am
oldtimer wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 6:26 pm
I think its a bit like the high street shops. their days are numbered and they are disappearing one by one.
Seems less and less people here everytime I log in.
It seems Facebook has killed forums. I finally succumbed to the dark side and joined Facebook as I regularly speak to several ex RG members such as the Mighty Toxiedogg. Given Futures track record of closing its forums It does not look good for RG
Hey shin, did you leave RC recently? Not sure whats happening over there with a couple of other recent sudden departures, like roguetrooper and daeduldurst.
I haven't posted there since I was told to "F*** off and die as nobody wanted me there", rather ironically it was by one of the people who's now quit!

I did make me giggle that 2 of the people who quit did their very best to try and get rid of me only to leave themselves. Also one of those people moaned about people not replying to his threads but had already alienated the few members there who would have been interested in them!

Tom_Baker

Post by Tom_Baker » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:25 pm

Free Tommy

Rock on Tommy

Tommy and mommy

Tom Tom Tom

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:07 pm

Let's not bring grievances from elsewhere to this forum, okay?

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:40 pm

The format medium is the problem now with so many ways to interact with more immediate responses. Forums feel now like sending a letter in the mail. It's a shame but inevitable sadly.

Thats a really good point, people are posting all the time of facebook groups. I remember when this forum was like that, pages of new stuff everyday
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:24 pm

The problem with facebook though is that it's not so easy to find content from the past and good threads like it is in a forum. There have been some great multipage discussions on WOS, Lemon64, here and others in the past and they can be looked at pretty easily years later. Facebook seems a bit clunky to me with the way it stores old topics.
The Retro Gaming IRC channel. For people who like Retro and love Gaming. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?chann ... mibbit.net

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:16 pm

Right, FB and Twitter are truly terrible places for discussion.
XBL: RetroBob
Wii U: RetroBob
PSN: RetroBobUK
3DS: 0232 8156 8633
Feel free to add me!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:27 am

Spector wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:24 pm
The problem with facebook though is that it's not so easy to find content from the past and good threads like it is in a forum. There have been some great multipage discussions on WOS, Lemon64, here and others in the past and they can be looked at pretty easily years later. Facebook seems a bit clunky to me with the way it stores old topics.
What’s Lemon 64 forum like? Other then RG Retro Collect is the only other forum I’m a member off. I thought of signing up for Nintendo forum or Lemon as I prefer forums..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:45 am

There doesn't seem to be any good retro forums left these days sadly.

Most of the ones that are still around are focused on just one system or brand so tend to attract the rabid fanboys that come with it.

This is the only forum I participate in these days and to be honest I've never liked the format of this forum. If the sections were tweaked properly it could be great though and the magazine has the name and reach to make that work.
Last edited by The Laird on Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spector

Post by Spector » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:15 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:27 am
Spector wrote:
What’s Lemon 64 forum like? Other then RG Retro Collect is the only other forum I’m a member off. I thought of signing up for Nintendo forum or Lemon as I prefer forums..
I think Lemon64's quite good; I used to post on it when my C64 was working and when I get one again I'll be back on it. Atariage is a nice big forum, still fairly active covering most of the classic consoles with their own sub-forums too. The international nature of it stops it slipping into cheap 'personality' posting like you get elsewhere. World Of Spectrum lost Martijn Van Der Heide, the owner of the site, and a botched redesign has led WOS to look almost as retro as the Spectrum itself: what a shame. Thanks to you I know about Retro Collect now and they have a lot of old-school talk, though it seems to be mostly from the 90s onwards. Don't know of any other forums worth posting on that are retro- any ideas folks?
The Retro Gaming IRC channel. For people who like Retro and love Gaming. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?chann ... mibbit.net

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:17 pm

The Laird wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:45 am

Most of the ones that are still around are focused on just one system or brand so tend to attract the rabid fanboys that come with it.

This is the only forum I participate in these days and to be honest I've never liked the format of this forum. If the seconds were tweaked properly it could be great though and the magazine has the name and reach to make that work.
Same here which is also why I don’t join Bordersdown too many side forums and I don’t like the format. That leaves Neo Gaf but the sexual misconduct against the long-running site’s owner https://kotaku.com/neogaf-goes-dark-aft ... 1819755151And that politically motivated Retro Gaming forum.

I’m a bit of a C64 and plus 4 Fanboy so Lemon May be up my street.

I wonder with Futures track record of closing forums, what the future holds for RG?
Last edited by Shinobi on Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:39 pm

I would say Assemblergames

But its more about the techy side, its seems to be civil
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:31 pm

Spector wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:15 pm
Shinobi wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:27 am
Spector wrote:
I think Lemon64's quite good; I used to post on it when my C64 was working and when I get one again I'll be back on it. Atariage is a nice big forum, still fairly active covering most of the classic consoles with their own sub-forums too. The international nature of it stops it slipping into cheap 'personality' posting like you get elsewhere. World Of Spectrum lost Martijn Van Der Heide, the owner of the site, and a botched redesign has led WOS to look almost as retro as the Spectrum itself: what a shame. Thanks to you I know about Retro Collect now and they have a lot of old-school talk, though it seems to be mostly from the 90s onwards. Don't know of any other forums worth posting on that are retro- any ideas folks?
Ive used Atariage for years.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

WaveRacer

Post by WaveRacer » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:40 pm

The Laird wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:45 am

This is the only forum I participate in these days and to be honest I've never liked the format of this forum. If the sections were tweaked properly it could be great though and the magazine has the name and reach to make that work.
There are still a few decent ones.

This one, RVG, Nintendo age, Atari Age. There is also Retro Canteen which a few people from here went. I have joined Nintendo age, Atari age, This one obviously, but my main one is Retro Collect. I usually spend most of my time on there. You should give Retro Collect a go.