Robin of Sherwood(old ITV series)

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Robin of Sherwood(old ITV series)

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:53 pm

I mentioned this last night on the IRC to both Sepiroth and Alarm - and they had both never heard of it. Of course, they knew about the infamous Kevin Costner film. Does anyone else remember this series that transmitted on Saturday nights at tea time on ITV(in the days of regions - it was made by HTV - but I think ITV was pretty much networked by then). Starring Michael Praed as Robin of Loxley(aka Robin Hood), a young Ray Winstone really stretching himself as hardman Will Scarlet, Clive Mantle as Little John and Nickolas Grace as the Sheriff of Nottingham. It did play around with the legend of Robin Hood some what - making him from Yorkshire(Loxley) and also featuring old legends like Herne the Hunter(he has a pivotal role in it). There's the classic Clannad soundtrack : "Robin - the hooded man." to it as well. Also, later interpretations of Robin Hood borrowed from it, as it featured a Sarcen character who was part of Robin's gang - most notably the Kevin Costner film which had Morgan Freeman play that part. I think Look-In magazine had a comic strip of it for a while. To my mind, it's the best version of Robin Hood.

SPOILERS For people who don't know - Robin was killed off at the end of the second season. Michael Praed wanted to go to the US - he a small part in Dynasty and got killed off in that as well. Ironic. Jason Connery(son of Sean) took over the role of Robin(as Robert of Huntingdon) for the third season).

That's a big spoiler above - just in case anyone hasn't seen it. By the way, to view it - just use quote and then view it that way. Be careful - as some people might not have seen it.

Also, last year there was an audio play done with the remaining cast called The Knights Of The Apocalypse. It was released as a digital download and CD(where's the vinyl? :lol: ). I haven't listened to that yet.

Anyway, share your thought of it - if you remember it.
Last edited by Katzkatz on Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Antiriad2097

Re: Robin of Sherwood(old ITV series)

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:09 pm

I remember it well, there's even a licensed game of it:
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0006903

Excellent at the time, a bit of a fresh take on things, it's probably crap now. I do think it was a big influence on shows and movies that followed.

Wonder if it was a big budget production?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:54 pm

It was great at the time I loved it. Was quite mystical.
If you have Sky its on every afternoon on ITV Encore. I'm not sure its aged brilliantly, but it's still very watchable.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:13 pm

Damn... now I have 'Robin... The hooded man, dum dum' playing in my head all the time!

Loved the series and the music was great too.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:14 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:I remember it well, there's even a licensed game of it:
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0006903

Excellent at the time, a bit of a fresh take on things, it's probably crap now. I do think it was a big influence on shows and movies that followed.

Wonder if it was a big budget production?
Wow. I didn't know that.

I think it must have a big budget for the time as it partly made by Goldcrest(they did Chariots of Fire, Gandhi, The Killing Fields and The Mission). Actually, that one of the reasons that the series ended so abruptly - there was meant to a fourth season, but Goldcrest went bankrupt. I think I remember Richard Carpenter(the creator now sadly deceased) giving a magazine interview about his plans for the fourth season. I think also only 6 episodes a season were made - apart from the last season which had a few more.

Yeah, I noticed it's shown on ITV Encore. ITV 3 also used to show it. So did Sky One back in the 1990s. Ironically, ITV never did repeat it on their main channel(pre-digital days).

Actually, it does hold pretty well. One of the things that helps it is that it was all filmed on film - unlike say Doctor Who(which had filming only for outdoor locations, but used video for indoors and that really hurts it) - there's also lots of outdoor location filming - I think a lot of it was shot in the West Country(hence HTV making it) and Northumberland. There's a few episodes which do require the use of special effects(one episode in particular is pretty ropey as it featured some evil creatures) - they are perhaps not that good in terms of what we have now with CGI. The storylines are still very strong and engaging. I did re-watch the first season only a few years ago. It still pretty strong.

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:29 am

I used to watch it when i was younger, I loved it. I have the Spectrum game above too, never played it though.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:38 pm

seeing as it was the 80's, there was a pair of gamebooks based on the series too, they're not bad, better than most TV tie-ins and has some nice Russ Nicholson artwork. It does still hold up pretty well, although Connery's a bit wooden. Shame Michael Praed decided he was going to go and try to break America, and ended up playing 'non-american bloke' on Dynasty.

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:27 pm

Apparently Michael Praed is currently in Emmerdale... which isn't quite so mystical.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:28 pm

ianpmarks wrote:Apparently Michael Praed is currently in Emmerdale... which isn't quite so mystical.
Nah, it's come full circle - as he was "Robin of Loxley" and now he is in Emmerdale. They're both in Yorkshire! :lol:

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:37 pm

Brilliant tv series (I've got it on blu ray) and a cameo episode with martin shaw which is interesting - also featuring a very hot Maid Marian!

What really made the series for me were the bad guys - the interaction between Nottingham and the hapless Gisburn was at times hilarious.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:39 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
What really made the series for me were the bad guys - the interaction between Nottingham and the hapless Gisburn was at times hilarious.
Yeah - that was superb. Makes it stand out from other interpretations of Robin Hood.

mlucifersam

Post by mlucifersam » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:00 pm

For the blu-rays they went back to the original film and while not quite HD they look better than they ever did in the 1980s on the TV. They look like they were filmed yesterday and the amount of detial visible is much better than most other TV shows from that era
Mark R. Jones

Ocean Software Ltd FB page: http://www.facebook.com/OceanSoftwareLtd
Ultimate Play The Game FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ultimateptg

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:49 pm

mlucifersam wrote:For the blu-rays they went back to the original film and while not quite HD they look better than they ever did in the 1980s on the TV. They look like they were filmed yesterday and the amount of detial visible is much better than most other TV shows from that era
Wow. That sounds really good. That's one of the great things about the series - that is was all made on old 16 mm film rather than the broadcast videotape of the time.

One of these days - I might pick up the Blu Rays.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:41 pm

I remember this, mostly one episode with all those hooded devil worshippers who brought some evil god or devil into our world, only to get killed by Robin as it came through. Could anybody who remembers this confirm if this happens or is my imagination playing tricks as I recall it being very dark with supernatural elements?
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:47 pm

Shinobi wrote:I remember this, mostly one episode with all those hooded devil worshippers who brought some evil god or devil into our world, only to get killed by Robin as it came through. Could anybody who remembers this confirm if this happens or is my imagination playing tricks as I recall it being very dark with supernatural elements?
Ahh, yeah - I think that is in the second season. It also caused a bit of a storm in the tabloids at the time, with them accusing the program of promoting devil worshiping and ironically having Friar Tuck(a holy man) in Robin's gang.