Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ALK

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by ALK » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:01 pm

Looks like one of the big Black Friday sale items in regards to the Switch is multiple retailers like Amazon and Argos getting rid of the Labo sets, with 2 of them as low as £14.99 and the first one for £26.99, while the VR one sits at £33-ish.

Better than their original prices I guess?
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:58 pm

Nin10dofan wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:46 pm
I just think no company's are releasing games any more except in the arcades. Not that nintendo of Sony have no good games on there machines
Wait, what?

No matter how many times I read and re-read this, I cant make sense of it. What are you saying?
Thoughts and prayers.

Nin10dofan

Post by Nin10dofan » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:13 pm

rossi46 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:58 pm
Nin10dofan wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:46 pm
I just think no company's are releasing games any more except in the arcades. Not that nintendo of Sony have no good games on there machines
Wait, what?

No matter how many times I read and re-read this, I cant make sense of it. What are you saying?
I mean company's like capcom,namco ,sega, konami, are not really making games for consoles anymore. What i really mean is 90% of games on switch are not very good and there is 2000 of them . I bought bit trip saga for 3DS for €10 and it is really very bad,

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:22 pm

Is that a joke or are you trolling?

Just in case you're being serious, I'd ask simply that you reconsider what you posted and maybe have a think about just some of the big titles that came out recently.
Thoughts and prayers.

Nin10dofan

Post by Nin10dofan » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:10 pm

rossi46 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:22 pm

Just in case you're being serious, I'd ask simply that you reconsider what you posted and maybe have a think about just some of the big titles that came out recently.
you must have some of the best experience with computer games . I followed gamecube had nearly all 700 games had wii and had nearly all the games had GBA and all the games these consoles where brilliant. I counted about 25 games that are brilliant and that's it ( on switch and 3DS). I saw a thread on another site that said people who have no money should not play computer games. I have money but I got so many disappointments with buying some games I nearly gave up playing. I think the company's like ATARI AND SEGA said they would be back with consoles sometime. I see ATARI are planing a console maybe they'll start making great games again.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:47 pm

Nin10dofan wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:13 pm
I mean company's like capcom,
namco ,
sega,
konami, are not really making games for consoles anymore. What i really mean is 90% of games on switch are not very good and there is 2000 of them . I bought bit trip saga for 3DS for €10 and it is really very bad,
Street fighters/Resi/DMC
Ace Combat 7/Tekken
Sonic <Insert name> among other things
You got me on the last one

90% is a high number, it's more like 60%, but the same number applies for other machines

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:54 am

Not to mention the crazy number of sales each Monster Hunter game gets in its homeland for Capcom.

The Yakuza series for SEGA too, who are also releasing a new Streets of Rage and Sakura Wars game as well.

If you're referring to the number of ports the Switch gets, remember for some younger gamers its their first time trying a lot of these games out or the selling port of portability is just too tempting enough to rebuy again for some gamers who either really liked said game or missed it out entirely the first time round. Now you can fit games from 5-10 years ago and more around your lunch break, train journeys and so on. No good telling the kids to "buy the original system" if they just want a easy way to play said without buying a old 2nd hand retro console and getting the best picture on their modern TV.

Something like Resident Evil 4 for example is not a bad game because its ported to so many systems. Yes, its overpriced on the Switch, but maybe there's a reason Capcom port it so much.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:32 am

Nin10dofan wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:10 pm
rossi46 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:22 pm

you must have some of the best experience with computer games . I followed gamecube had nearly all 700 games had wii and had nearly all the games had GBA and all the games these consoles where brilliant. I counted about 25 games that are brilliant and that's it ( on switch and 3DS). I saw a thread on another site that said people who have no money should not play computer games. I have money but I got so many disappointments with buying some games I nearly gave up playing. I think the company's like ATARI AND SEGA said they would be back with consoles sometime. I see ATARI are planing a console maybe they'll start making great games again.
I started a thread a little while back about they're being too many worthwhile games so I can't agree at all. My backlog is insane and I only play Nintendo consoles.

Your mistake is putting your faith in the likes of Sega and Atari. Sure they'll produce the odd gem now and again, but even collectively they're not going to deliver the 100s of brilliant games you seem to require. There's dozens and dozens of great games on 3DS and Switch, who makes them doesn't matter, but Nintendo published games are usually a good place to start. That's not to say there aren't great third party games because there absolutely is, the best of the indy offerings alone could probably last you the rest of the generation.

Are you sure you're casting a wide enough net? Are you basing your opinion of the availability of good games on whatever your local retail shops happen to have in stock? If so go to the Nintendo World Report website, go to
"Reviews", go to "System", select Switch or 3DS, then select all games (the default setting is Recent), then list the games by score and truly get aquainted with the best of what's out there. :)
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:14 am

The heck is this about Capcom not releasing games anymore? Resident Evil 7, Remake 2, Mega Man 11, Monster Hunter World, Devil May Cry 5 are all fantastic, and I personally loved Street Fighter 5 as well (now that its got much more content). Plus they've released tons of current gen ports (many of which are on Switch, including DMC3 which is coming in February. Likewise Sega has been rocking several releases on both console and PC (the PC market especially is pretty great for them these days), meanwhile console wise Yakuza 7 is coming out in January (in Japan). Guess the only thing you can complain about is the fact that many of these games are not on Switch.

Anyway, back to Switch purchases - I grabbed Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair, Groove Coaster and with the left over coins, Katamari Damachi for £4. Yooka Laylee is absolutely amazing, its basically Donkey Kong Country in all but name and characters. Its seriously one of the best platformers I've played all year. Groove Coaster likewise is a super solid rhythm action game, closest thing I'm getting to DJMax for now, lots of tunes and tons of challenge. Katamari I've not played yet, I've played the PS2 version but its more convenient to play it on Switch, so that's nice!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:05 pm

Just noticed Super Chariot is just 89p in the current e-shop sale.

I briefly tried the demo which was ok, so I thought it's probably worth picking up. At that price it's surely worth giving the demo a look, especially for anyone who regularly plays co-op.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:03 pm

OK, I finally buckled and purchased a new Switch (with a Labo thing) for £248 direct from Nintendo. Not ordered any games yet - this will mainly be for the family BUT I do expect to get plenty of time on it after bed time ;)

SO - for the kids (girl 10 and Boy 14 - he plays plenty of nasty gun game already and I'm probably a bad father but he's shown no signs of wanting to kill anyone yet)
and
For ME - love racing games but hate mariokart. Obviously love retro. Will patently wait along with my son for a new Pikmin game.

AND it won't be opend until Xmas day :(

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:21 pm

Just put Fortnite on it, thats all most kids want to play/watch these days
Horrible game
ShadowMan wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:14 am
I've not played yet, I've played the PS2 version but its more convenient to play it on Switch, so that's nice!
To bad the motion controls are pish.
I wanted to pretend im rolling them, not pretend im holding a pair of sticks

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:53 pm

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:03 pm
OK, I finally buckled and purchased a new Switch (with a Labo thing) for £248 direct from Nintendo. Not ordered any games yet - this will mainly be for the family BUT I do expect to get plenty of time on it after bed time ;)

SO - for the kids (girl 10 and Boy 14 - he plays plenty of nasty gun game already and I'm probably a bad father but he's shown no signs of wanting to kill anyone yet)
and
For ME - love racing games but hate mariokart. Obviously love retro. Will patently wait along with my son for a new Pikmin game.

You may want to open it just to get all the set up and updates out of the way, then you can dive straight into the games on Christmas Day.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:57 pm

pratty wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:53 pm
Crusty Starfish wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:03 pm

and

You may want to open it just to get all the set up and updates out of the way, then you can dive straight into the games on Christmas Day.
Ah! Good idea!

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:58 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:21 pm
Just put Fortnite on it, thats all most kids want to play/watch these days
Horrible game
ShadowMan wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:14 am
I've not played yet, I've played the PS2 version but its more convenient to play it on Switch, so that's nice!
To bad the motion controls are pish.
I wanted to pretend im rolling them, not pretend im holding a pair of sticks
Fortnite... NO!