Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

ShadowMan

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:39 pm

Yeah, the port is insane in terms of detail. I loved what M2 has been doing with these ports, ended up getting all the 3DS games as well while I wait for Shinobi and GLOC!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:39 pm

Mario Maker 2 is getting a special bundle where for an extra tenner, you get a 12 month subscription to the Nintendo Online Service. Same bundle is also available digitally.

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/games/nint ... id=1346766

Be interesting if other online Nintendo games get a similar bundle down the line, especially if they're stack-able. Could see Animal Crossing get one.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Sat May 04, 2019 1:44 pm

I just had to get Virtua Racing as soon as I'd watched the DF Retro video on Youtube. Created a Japanese account just for that game. I've still got 2000 yen on that account that I don't know what to buy with!

Only one slight criticism and that's with the colour of the roads. Not sure why they went with that lighter shade of grey. Awesome port though!

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue May 07, 2019 3:18 am

The original Devil May Cry is coming to Switch, but strangely not the HD Trilogy just the first game on its own.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/0 ... his_summer
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue May 07, 2019 11:23 pm

ALK wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:18 am
The original Devil May Cry is coming to Switch, but strangely not the HD Trilogy just the first game on its own.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/0 ... his_summer
Gonna be digital only but I'll take it. Never played it before, so I'm glad these ports are coming.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu May 09, 2019 2:41 pm

Im down for buying DMC again (4th/5th time?). I love these Switch ports, will be getting the Resident Evil ones at the end of the month.

In the mean time, I've been playing Katana Zero, which is a fantastic side scrolling action indie game. Surprisingly great story as well. Definitely worth getting.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Mon May 13, 2019 8:53 am

Virtua Racing is amazing. I hope they patch the overly-bright colouring though, M2 are so thorough with their ports that it's a bit odd, unless it's some kind of conscious decision to make it look brighter on the portable screen. Should really be selectable though, like the normal/arcade handling.

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue May 14, 2019 6:18 pm

Mario Maker 2 Direct airing tomorrow at 11pm.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu May 16, 2019 12:54 am

So yeah, looks like Mario Maker will have 4 player online multiplayer options, like race to the finish or beat a level together.

Also revealed was a Game Voucher option for Subscribers where for £84 you can buy 2 retail games digitally and save around £20-25 (Plus get a fiver back in Gold Coins).

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/ ... line_users
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Fri May 17, 2019 2:02 pm

That's only really a saving for anyone daft enough to pay full price for digital games from Nintendo though. Pretty shoddy, really.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat May 18, 2019 6:38 am

Picked up a few more releases this week, really liking just how much retro content I can get for the Switch right now! Darius Collection, Kunio Kun Collection (was gonna pass on this but the improvements made to the performance of some games was too good to pass up), Konami Arcade & Castlevania Collections, Resident Evil REmake & 0... And I'll nab RE4 next week when its released. Also really tempted to nab the arcade version of Ninja Gaiden which has just been released.

Mainly been focusing on the Konami stuff at the moment. The arcade games are pretty tough to get into initially, Gradius and Salamander are fantastic though once I got the basic gameplay down, managed to clear both games with mainly no problems after a few tries (though stage 4 on both are a pain in the ass).
On the Castlevania collection, I've finished the first CV game several times, got that down really good now including the last two bosses. Still a classic game in my eyes, plays so darn well. The first GB CV game though... its abysmal, one of the worst GB games I've had the displeasure of playing. Thankfully the rest of the games in the collection are far better (should have just included the pseudo remake Adventure: Rebirth instead). Looking forward to getting the Contra collection next.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Sun May 19, 2019 6:50 pm

Yeah the Switch is turning into a great retro machine. Let the reissues and remakes keep coming!

It's obviously been said a million times but the ability to play a game on the big screen and then transfer to handheld is majestic. It's particularly handy if you have young kids and need to be mobile.

Tetris 99 is doing my head in. I'll be doing well then all of a sudden pow pow pow I'll have lost a dozen lines. Twot!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Wed May 22, 2019 12:30 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 6:38 am
Kunio Kun Collection
Haven't seen this one, what's on it?

Waiting to see what's on the Contra collection, as again, I already own Contra on X360/PS4, Super on X360, and III on SNES Mini, so the other four will have to be decent to make it a worthwhile purchase. I'd guess at the MD game taking up a slot, but the rest will probably be BG crap.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri May 24, 2019 10:32 am

BellyFullOfHell wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:30 pm
ShadowMan wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 6:38 am
Kunio Kun Collection
Haven't seen this one, what's on it?

Waiting to see what's on the Contra collection, as again, I already own Contra on X360/PS4, Super on X360, and III on SNES Mini, so the other four will have to be decent to make it a worthwhile purchase. I'd guess at the MD game taking up a slot, but the rest will probably be BG crap.

Games list is here:
https://www.destructoid.com/kunio-kun-t ... 7597.phtml

Worth noting that rather than just having straight ports you can also enable a number of changes to reduce sprite flicker and slowdown, which is a huge improvement for several of the games which are less than stellar to play on original hardware these days.

But mainly I've been playing the excellent Castlevania collection. Finished the first game several times now, it holds up incredibly well. The second game is ok. Its not bad, its just not particularly great either with its pretty average level design and overall lack of difficulty. The third game is definitely the hardest of the original games on the NES, especially if you choose certain routes with certain characters (i.e. not getting Grant) as stage 7b and stage 9 are particularly brutal in those regards. But I'm having a blast figuring out some optimal ways of clearing the game.
The first GB game sucks, nothing more to say. The second one is pretty darn good, basically what the first game should of been. And of course the Snes, MD games rock, and Kid Dracula is a nice inclusion that I need to put more time into. Well worth the money I paid for it.

I also took some time to clear Octahedron, a really good and tough platformer game that never gets dull as they do a fantastic job of switching things up on each and every level. Its got a demo on the store so is well worth a try. I'm looking at finishing off Cuphead, Gunhead X and giving the Guilty Gear/XX collection a shot.

Oh, and I got the new Resident Evil ports, as a huge Capcom fan I couldn't pass them up. RE4 portable is an amazing experience, hasn't aged a bit and the intro segment is still a blast to play. And Mercs mode will no doubt get tons of play when I unlock it.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed May 29, 2019 2:54 pm

I bought psyvariar-delta, Gunlord and that new shooter by ex Cave staff. T

Gunlord looks much nicer then The Dreamcast version, and has many improvements including new levels and the Laser mapped to the analogue to name a few. I hated the jumping on the Dreamcast version as the screen scrolled up when you jumped, making the jumping appear Jerky.. They fixed this for the Wii version
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"