Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Antiriad2097

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:49 am

What are everyone's thoughts on games that require a download to play, even if you've bought the cart?

I picked up LA Noire the other weekend. Its ok, though interrogations are hit and miss as you've no idea what's going to be said.

I'm happy enough to have bought the cart in this case, as it was the cheapest option. It does require you to download the rest of the game that won't fit on the cart though, so not playable unless you do so.

I was looking at the new Wolfenstein game and that's the same. I'm not sure it's worth forking out full whack for a cart with a limited lifespan in that case, since if I decide to play it in future it won't work unless I have the download. I'm thinking I might as well just buy the eshop version and have the whole thing on an SD card so it's ready to play, letting me leave another game in the cart slot.

Given its as easy to swap SD card as it is a game cart, has anyone else considered this?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:02 pm

Its a pain, but given XBONE and PS4 disc games all require an install/download its not hugely surprising. Just a shame the Wii U could support 2TB HDDs (Not that there's that many games that will weight that much plus you're limited to 300 downloads at a time) and now we're stuck with micro SD limits (Which thankfully Nintendo ensured the Switch can support 2TB cards, whenever those come on the market.). Just would be nice as someone who uses his Switch as a TV Console if we could have external HDD support to plug in the Dock so we can have much more space right now for all those many download titles plus installs and just pick and choose what we take on the Micro SD card when on the go.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

HdE

Post by HdE » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:32 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:49 am
What are everyone's thoughts on games that require a download to play, even if you've bought the cart?
I absolutely HATE the fact that this is a thing. To me, part of the appeal of having games on cartridge has always been the idea that tehy should be more durable and reliable than optical media. Complicating the situation by forcing users to rely on a combination of the cart and downloaded data on SD media just feels like it defeats the entire purpose. And given that we're being fed the line that physical releases for the Switch are priced high because of the cost of manufacturing cartridges, it leaves an even worse taste in my mouth.

(Cue obligatory jokes about not putting Switch game cards in your mouth.)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:31 am

I'd think it goes to show that physical media is no guarantee of being able to play a game in the indefinite future at a point when the download services have been discontinued. That's long been true for the multi-player components of games, but it's also getting to be the case for single-player ones. Even if they're rarely asking for a 13GB download before you can even start, they've quite often got broken gameplay without a day-one patch.

As for mandatory download/installs, they certainly an annoyance, but thankfully its a phenomenon that's mostly been isolated to third-party AAA games on the Switch. As someone who's mostly been buying first party games and indies, I've been pleasantly surprised how few games have needed big installs and I've still got more than half the space on the 128GB SD card that I only really put in as a stopgap.

512MB microSD cards are now available too, albeit for a rather high price. Still, if you've got a big collection of games it's probably going to be worth it. I'm going to hold off for another year or so though, because prices are still coming down and it's probably only a matter of time before we get 1 and 2TB cards.

HdE

Post by HdE » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:03 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:31 am
I'd think it goes to show that physical media is no guarantee of being able to play a game in the indefinite future at a point when the download services have been discontinued. That's long been true for the multi-player components of games, but it's also getting to be the case for single-player ones. Even if they're rarely asking for a 13GB download before you can even start, they've quite often got broken gameplay without a day-one patch.
Yeah - this is the most aggravating part of it all for me. Remember the days when you'd buy a game on a big chunky cartridge and, provided you looked after it, you had a perfectly put together product you could enjoy for years and years and years? That seems have been completely died a death.

I'm one of these crazy types who believes in the need to preserve games, especially as they evolve further and further into a full blown art form and provide their own unique, narrative driven experiences. Such a shame that virtually the entire gaming industry doesn't seem to consider this.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:25 pm

The game industry has never considered it much at all. The old companies were just out to make a quick buck, and that has continued. Few seem to make much effort to cash in on their back catalogue. Preservation has always been down to us.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:43 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:49 am
I would consdier a game like that a digital game, with the benefit of having a tangable asset you can sell on if you want (at least for as long as the required update is still available), and with the advantage of using the cart to reduce the amount of space the game takes up on the Switch's internal memory. So in that sense I'd say the physical cart is still preferable over the 100% digital version.

As someone who likes to own a physical library of games for past consoles it does bother me that many, if not most, physical games are essentially rendered incomplete or at least sub-optimal due to a significant digital update. So more then ever it's best to enjoy these games now and while we can.

That said it is for these reasons that I welcome ports and remakes of the best games. Sure nobody likes to buy a game twice but it is a way to preserve the classics from generation to generation of consoles.
Pratty's trade list, updated (October 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:45 pm

I was wasn't as into Smash Bros. as some people, but Smash Ultimate continues to impress. Simon Belmont and King K Rool look good, and the options and content is astonishing.
Pratty's trade list, updated (October 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:28 pm

For those preordering Smash Bros, the GC Controller and Adapter who want to save a few quid and have it all in 1 big box, the limited edition is up for preorder.

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/nintendo-s ... 47698.html

Also all Nintendo Store orders come with a free steelbook.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:47 pm

3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:29 am

Smash Bros looks insane. All that content. I'm set until the next Smash Bros game comes out (and if that somehow never happens, at least I've got the ultimate version). So glad that Belmont and K Rool got included, those were the two I wanted the most. Well, them and Shovel Knight and he at least got in as a assist trophy so that's awesome as well. Can't wait to get my hands on it!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:52 am

ALK wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:47 pm
DOOM Eternal is coming to Switch.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/0 ... ndo_switch
At launch too.

Ah well, we know that it's going to be the poor relation of the other versions but handheld Doom was still pretty damn awesome.

On the downside, I guess it's going to be too much to hope for that they'll ship it on a cartridge big enough to hold the full game this time.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:45 pm

ALK wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:28 pm
For those preordering Smash Bros, the GC Controller and Adapter who want to save a few quid and have it all in 1 big box, the limited edition is up for preorder.

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/nintendo-s ... 47698.html

Also all Nintendo Store orders come with a free steelbook.
That's a nice package. I've never actually played the game although I do have it on the Cube and the Wii... maybe I should try them sometime.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:38 pm

Im getting abit bored with my switch so I am considering putting it on the trade thread for 200 quid. Any interest and i'll make a proper thread for it over in trading corner.

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:22 pm

I'll admit my Switch has been a little neglected in recent months but that's mostly been down to the XBONE X I brought in May and the many many Games with Gold I stacked up to try out, let alone the games I brought. However, have finally been about to get past the first hour of Xenoblade 2 and its many tutorials to learn. Its starting to pick up now, so thankfully that should last me till Pokemon and Smash.

Odd though that the physical story DLC release due out next month still hasnt seen Euro preorders go live....
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.