American Adventure theme park

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

dste

American Adventure theme park

Post by dste » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:42 pm

I used to love going to the American Adventure when I was young and living in Nottingham. Used to go with my mum and friends when I was really little and then just with the friends when older.

Shame it has closed down but after reading up on it I'm not surprised that it did.

I remember playing on the arcade machines and loving the Runaway Train and the three tier log-flume.

Did anyone else frequent the place?
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Treguard

Re: American Adventure theme park

Post by Treguard » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:03 am

I went a few times, just could never compete for visitors with Alton Towers being just down the road. Some parts of it are still there, looks like a place the Joker would use as a lair:

http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/le ... wuDrPkrLcc

dste

Post by dste » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:01 pm

Well thanks for depressing the hell out of me. :( :P

Looking at the photos reminded me of the pier and the Blue Fin Restaurant. The Motion Master Theatre was fab for it's time, I'm sure at one point it had a Robocop experience inside it.

The maps were a throwback. I definitely remember 1989 and 1997 seems familiar as well.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:02 am

I went with my family when I was young and again on a school trip in secondary school.

The first time I went was the first time I played Street Fighter 2. They had a sit down cabinet and I was watching a bloke play for ages. He then asked me if I wanted a go. Being about 7 at the time, I told him I would need to ask my parents. I found them and my dad said it was ok, then came and watched. Very generous bloke, I think we played about 5 games or so. In hindsight, I think he was 'cheating' because I remember him asking me to choose specific characters.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:48 pm

I went with the playcentre back in the mid 90's, first time I'd ever been on an upside down ride, I found the haunted log flume awesome and came across one of the rides a few years back albiet renamed in pleasurewood hills, now called wipeout but you could still see traces of Missile on it.
Watching you sleep since 1990

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed May 04, 2016 6:35 pm

The only time I ever went there was on my 13th birthday back in 1998, they were having a "free entry day" for some reason. Loved the log flume (the tallest in Europe at the time I think?) and the spinning octopus ride - an overall great day out.

Those pictures are sad, but I don't have the same attachment to the place as I did with the equally derelict Camelot :(
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri May 06, 2016 5:08 am

Treguard wrote:I went a few times, just could never compete for visitors with Alton Towers being just down the road. Some parts of it are still there, looks like a place the Joker would use as a lair:

http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/le ... wuDrPkrLcc
I'd never heard of the American Adventure park...but on a tangent, that Derelict Places forum is amazing, just lost about an hour to it looking through photos of abandoned buildings.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun May 08, 2016 9:17 pm

I went as a kid (must have been a really long day going up from Kent) but don't remember much of it beyond having a good time. Didn't they have one of those powered launch rollercoasters that went through a loop, up a slope then back again?

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sun May 08, 2016 9:26 pm

Negative Creep wrote:I went as a kid (must have been a really long day going up from Kent) but don't remember much of it beyond having a good time. Didn't they have one of those powered launch rollercoasters that went through a loop, up a slope then back again?
Yup, thats in Pleasurewood hills now under a new name
Watching you sleep since 1990

dste

Post by dste » Wed May 11, 2016 9:05 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:The only time I ever went there was on my 13th birthday back in 1998, they were having a "free entry day" for some reason. Loved the log flume (the tallest in Europe at the time I think?) and the spinning octopus ride - an overall great day out.

Those pictures are sad, but I don't have the same attachment to the place as I did with the equally derelict Camelot :(
Had completely forgotten about Camelot. Never went but remember it being popular many years ago.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:57 am

American Adventure wasent far from us and we went quite a few times. Great memories.

When I was around 9-10 me and mum found a wallet in Derby and we took it to the branch of the bank that the debit card was for, mum left her personal details and a week later a letter came from American Adventure with 4 tickets and instructions to go to a particular entrance.

When we turned up we were met by a man who took us straight through the queue and into the park. Me and my mate got goody bags and they'd printed something out and whenever we went to ride they let us straight to the front of the line when mum showed them.

Turns out it was one of the gaffers of the park who owned the wallet and he came and introduced himself when we were in reception.

And a few years ago a mate of mine worked dismantling some of the roller coasters when it closed.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

kebabinho

Post by kebabinho » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:43 pm

my dad used to run a trip from his school and we got to go free. I don't remember any arcades though, gutted to have missed them

dste

Post by dste » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:32 pm

I could be wrong but I'm sure that there was a small building containing arcades and 2p machines up next to The Missile.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog