Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Discuss the games of yesteryear while feeling all fuzzy inside.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Will you buy a Spectrum Vega Plus

Yes
24%
No
66%
Can't Decide
10%

Total votes: 71

kiwimike

Re: Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:19 am

Well it seems pretty much every bit of information they have put into statements in the last 48 hours- without evidence - is being shot down, with evidence. And not just the usual two they usually claim are trying to sabotage them. Especially their claims in regard to missing meeting IGG for the show and tell in London. IGG debunked that by saying they don't have an office in London.

So much time wasted writing novel like statements - much quicker to prove it exists and ready to go by posting current photos backers were pleading for.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:04 am

They would get a lot more people on their side if they showed a pile of new Vegas built, and its just the firmware issue next or what games to put on it (or not).

Again i'm unsure who to believe from both sides, theres a lot of nasty crap going on and i dont think either side is innocent at all. Sounds like it should surely all be over soon if Indiegogo and that are getting involved.

If from what they said they are 'close' to delivery then show us the Vega's

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:13 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:49 am
Has this been on Watchdog as a showcase of the potential pitfalls of crowdfunding yet? Would make an interesting piece and would be amusing to see them trying to avoid questions in the street.
I think such a program would be a huge disservice to the many genuine and successful crowdfunding campaigns that are on a completely different universe to this shambles. I fear that people with no experience of crowdfunding would be too quick to tar legitimate Kickstarter ventures with the same brush.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:19 pm

Oh but it would be so worth it to have Matt Allwright to chase them down the road & shout ineffectual questions that they can't even hear as they drive off ignoring him.

Then follow it up with some cack pun like "huh more like a Vega MINUS" before eventually cutting back to the studio to interview someone in his 40s wearing a Jet Set Willy t-shirt looking glum af.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:23 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:04 am
They would get a lot more people on their side if they showed a pile of new Vegas built, and its just the firmware issue next or what games to put on it (or not).

Again i'm unsure who to believe from both sides, theres a lot of nasty crap going on and i dont think either side is innocent at all. Sounds like it should surely all be over soon if Indiegogo and that are getting involved.

If from what they said they are 'close' to delivery then show us the Vega's
The simple answer is that they're not showing them, because they don't have them. If they even had so many as a handful of them they'd have been able to stave off Indiegogo by couriering one over, and the same goes for Sky. They also know that if they were to post up a photo of any of the prototypes it'd be instantly spotted as such, which is why they've not put up any pictures for people to see. There's been some speculation that they might have run off a small number of prototype V2s to hand out to selected shills so they can pretend that shipping is under way, but it would seem that they don't even have that much to show for the past couple of years.

You don't have to believe that Chris Smith and Paul Andrews are sinless angels* to see any of that that. Indeed the two of them could be complete Walter Mitty level fantasists, and it wouldn't matter one jot because they left before RCL got the money. And sure, they might have withheld IP vital to the completion of the project when they left, but all it would have taken at that stage was one quick phone call to Indiegogo to say that the project had to be cancelled and we could have all got refunds. Ah well, we could always have put them towards the Spectrum Next when that launched.

Once they - and we're talking Levy, Martin and Mrsic-Flogel by this stage - decided to carry on with the project by themselves it was upon their shoulders to get it finished. They could have been entirely open about the setbacks that had happened and the new challenges they were facing. Even if it would take more time and the recruitment of people to replace the lost skills, they had plenty of money to set aside for developing firmware, licensing new games and continuing payments for existing ones. It'd also have been only fair to offer refunds at that time too, given that they would be unable to meet the original schedule and that it would have to have some significant differences from the promised product. However, they chose to repeatedly lie about their lack of progress, spend the money on a variety of things that didn't advance the project at all such as their assorted legal cases, and drive a rift between those who kept faith with them despite all the evidence that all was not well and those who were becoming sceptical about it. To be honest, it's that last bit that saddens me most. I'm not someone who backs crowdfunded projects in the expectation that they'll always succeed, but I'd like to think that whoever is getting the money is at least giving it a fair go and isn't just going to use it as their personal petty cash pot.

* For what it's worth, I'd think that Smith and Andrews have shown their true colours by going away and developing TheC64. Sure, it's got some failings as a product - and not just that it's not a Spectrum - and wasn't what they'd originally offered, but by being open and honest about what they were doing they've done a pretty good job about keeping the community on their side despite that. Similarly, the Spectrum Next is also running rather late but, with a constant stream of updates showing actual progress, nobody's panicking unduly about that yet.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:00 pm

I'm a Spectrum Next backer and I think the way the campaign's run has been exemplary. There have been quite a few delays but communication has been excellent - there have been regular emails explaining exactly what's happening. In fact, confidence in the product is so high that if backers get cold feet they don't have to worry about refunds, they can sell their pledge on for more than they paid for it!
I came pretty close to backing the Vega + but decided to hold off as there were a few things about the package I didn't like. Very glad I held off now and I feel really bad for those who've been stung. As a bystander it seems obvious that the product is never going to materialise.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:32 pm

JamesC wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:00 pm
I'm a Spectrum Next backer and I think the way the campaign's run has been exemplary. There have been quite a few delays but communication has been excellent - there have been regular emails explaining exactly what's happening. In fact, confidence in the product is so high that if backers get cold feet they don't have to worry about refunds, they can sell their pledge on for more than they paid for it!
I came pretty close to backing the Vega + but decided to hold off as there were a few things about the package I didn't like. Very glad I held off now and I feel really bad for those who've been stung. As a bystander it seems obvious that the product is never going to materialise.
Yep that's it in a nutshell. You don't mind delays or alterations if honesty is there and you're kept in the loop. Like the game gadget I wanted this vega +, but alarm bells rang off very early that something wasn't right about this lot. Like the game gadget there were too many cagey answers and contradictions.

HdE

Post by HdE » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:24 pm

JamesC wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:00 pm
I'm a Spectrum Next backer and I think the way the campaign's run has been exemplary. There have been quite a few delays but communication has been excellent - there have been regular emails explaining exactly what's happening.
Hey - me too! Can't wait to receive my Next!

Totally agree on all the points there. Even when things haven't gone smoothly during that campaign (and, to be fair, NO attempt at creating such a device is going to go off without a few hiccups) the backers have been duly appraised of what's been going on. And the end result is that, while the Next has seen some delays, backer confidence is running very high indeed.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:50 am

And here we are, the eve of D-day.

By now everyone should have their despatch notices and tracking numbers right?

Nope, as predicted radio silence has resumed.

Indiegogo don't have their console they were promised and come tomorrow nobody else will have one either.

Game Over man, game over!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:30 am

Still waiting for those promised photos to be posted let alone anything else! You know, those ones that would prove they are ready to go, silence those critics as they say. Yet...here we are again...this is of course rhetorical- if they had anything of substance to post in terms of images, they would have. That tells you pretty much all you need to know.

Spector

Post by Spector » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:34 am

kiwimike wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:30 am
Still waiting for those promised photos to be posted let alone anything else! You know, those ones that would prove they are ready to go, silence those critics as they say. Yet...here we are again...this is of course rhetorical- if they had anything of substance to post in terms of images, they would have. That tells you pretty much all you need to know.
But... are you suggesting they have been lying? Surely not!
The Retro Gamer IRC channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?chann ... mibbit.net

HdE

Post by HdE » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:45 pm

To be honest, is ANYBODY surprised?

In a morbid sense, I almost can't wait for the inevitable fall-out from this. My Youtube feed's gonna go nuts...

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:36 pm

I know people are getting all 'excited' for the shareholders meeting on Monday. However honestly think nothing will come of it. This will just drag on and on until people give up. I can see court dates in 2019 then 2020 ! :cry:
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:11 pm

Will there be court dates? I see the company being wound up long before then, the money gone, bills not paid, its an insolvency case waiting to happen.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:38 am

I'm not expecting anything to happen at the shareholders' meeting today other than for the current directors to be removed and an administrator put in their place. Possibly not even that, depending upon which way Sinclair Research votes.

Still, assuming that it does go that way, the company will most likely be wound up. All the evidence points to them having no money and no stock to speak of, so I'm not expecting a delivery or a refund, but it should put an end to the lying if nothing else.

However, for the current directors as time of writing, it won't necessarily end there as they may be personally liable for certain debts and misuse of company funds that they'd otherwise be able to walk away from if they were in control of the company when it was wound up. There's almost certainly going to be further legal action taken against them, and that will probably be ongoing for some time.