Why are there so many Amiga fans on this forum?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

gman72

Why are there so many Amiga fans on this forum?

Post by gman72 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:16 pm

I just don't get it.
Every poll and every best of thread always seems to get dominated by Amiga fans, now each to their own obviously, but can anyone explain to me why this machine is so loved?

I had an A500 and later a 1200 with an HD... and I don't really have any lingering memories of great times with either machine, the game that always springs to mind when I think of Amigas is Super Stardust... pretty game but still quite average in my opinion.

Now... C64, Spectrum, NES, Master System, SNES, N64, MD, PSX etc etc etc all hold loads of memories of hours and hours and hours of classic gaming for me...
I don't know... I just don't know what it is I'm missing.

Anyone?
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

The Laird

Re: Why are there so many Amiga fans on this forum?

Post by The Laird » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:26 pm

No idea. I have been around classic gaming forums for many many years now and never come across another with so many Amiga fans. The recent polls on here really have surprised me.

Interestingly there seems to be a lot less Mega Drive fans than you find in other places too, especially as this is a predominately UK based forum where the Mega Drive outsold the SNES 2:1.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:34 pm

TBF its mostly UK forum.

I had one, and Enjoyed it a lot but I have no real fondness for it, the consoles just were far more exciting and had far more personality and Games that IMO were far more enjoyable.

PLUS I will never forgive the amiga for the sordid practice of the gaming industry to advertise games for Speccy, C64, and amstrad and only show Amiga screenshots. Dirty B**tards fooled many a young child with that one.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:04 pm

UK forum. Plus it was the first time that we could see games that looked like perfect arcade ports, but in your home; you don't forget that. The shift from 8-16 bit computers cannot be underestimated, and it's by far the biggest shift in audio,visual etc etc quality than at any other time; even NES/MS to SNES/MD was not as great as was Spectrum to Amiga.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:05 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:UK forum. Plus it was the first time that we could see games that looked like perfect arcade ports, but in your home; you don't forget that. The shift from 8-16 bit computers cannot be underestimated, and it's by far the biggest shift in audio,visual etc etc quality than at any other time; even NES/MS to SNES/MD was not as great as was Spectrum to Amiga.

Nope, shift from 16 bit consoles such as Snes and MD to N64 and PS1 was a far bigger shift.

David

Post by David » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:14 pm

agree with gman, I loved my cd32, but there just didn't seem any Amiga games that didn't have better equivalents on snes / MD

apar from swos

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:15 pm

Because the Amiga was a fantastic leap from the c64 and a fantastic games machine.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:17 pm

Megadrive and SNES were okay but it was mostly brainless arcade stuff. I tired of scrolling shmups real quick, had no time for Streetfighter style games at all and absolutely hated scrolling beat em ups from the very start. Platformers were already growing stale. Amiga games had a lot more depth, which is what I wanted back then. I remember being impressed the first time I saw Sonic and it prompted me to buy a Megadrive but once I was over the impressive smoothness of it all I wasn't all that enamoured. Ditto Super Mario World and the SNES. I absolutely caned my Amiga and ST. The consoles got occasional plays if the game was right.

I didn't move to a console for my main gaming fix until the Playstation, and that was down to the 3D and games like Tomb Raider and Colony Wars.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:27 pm

The Amiga is a terrific games machine, and was streets ahead of the competition upon its release. Even by the time the MD and SNES came along, it was still stronger in many areas, with the huge RAM advantage, decent CPU, sound card, keyboard and mouse options. Plus the fact it used a one button joystick system mean't that it provided that kind of simple easy to pick up and play controls that we all grew up on in the 1980s, except with vastly improved load times and 16 bit graphics.

There is no mystery why the Amiga is popular, its just a shame that it didn't get the recognition it deserved outside of specific countries like the UK.

Both the SNES and the Amiga for me are the finest gaming machines around. Their best games have aged very well, because they did 2D proficiently, where as the generation following were amazing at the time, but have dated due to its focus on 3D gaming which now looks mostly crude....Mario 64 gets away with it though.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:50 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:UK forum. Plus it was the first time that we could see games that looked like perfect arcade ports, but in your home; you don't forget that. The shift from 8-16 bit computers cannot be underestimated, and it's by far the biggest shift in audio,visual etc etc quality than at any other time; even NES/MS to SNES/MD was not as great as was Spectrum to Amiga.
Nope, shift from 16 bit consoles such as Snes and MD to N64 and PS1 was a far bigger shift.
Actually agree with you for once here, it was a far bigger shift.
Sephiroth81 wrote: There is no mystery why the Amiga is popular, its just a shame that it didn't get the recognition it deserved outside of specific countries like the UK.
Don't agree with this though, the Amiga was a success pretty much everywhere really. Although it didn't do that great in the US, but that was very much a console market when it came to gaming.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:00 pm

The Laird wrote:
Don't agree with this though, the Amiga was a success pretty much everywhere really. Although it didn't do that great in the US, but that was very much a console market when it came to gaming.
I'm not sure exactly on the figures, but I think the Amiga was super successful in the UK, Germany, Italy, Australia and NZ....but only moderately successful elsewhere. It was a fairly expensive machine though.

The key North American and Japanese market though - it never really made much of an impact. Europe overall it did pretty well, mainly thanks to Germany and the UK.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:02 pm

Partly money I think, while the Amiga and ST were expensive to buy you could get many games for the cost of a blank disc including the cracked compilations, most of us did it! I missed out on most of the post 90s games and learnt the hard way that console gaming was an expensive proposition, it was more than that of course (the variety was astonishing).

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:49 pm

Call me crazy but I just thought the Amiga was brilliant, because I thought it was.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:58 pm

There was more to the Amiga than just playing games.
Splink!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:58 pm

Home computers were always more regional than consoles, this has a lot to do with keyboards of course. The only real exception to that is the PC, but that's a completely different animal to other computers in pretty much every way. The Commodore 64 only sold in such huge numbers as it was very successful in the US, it still failed to break many other markets. The Amiga was no less successful than any of the others really.