Bomb Jack

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

devnull

Post by devnull » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:45 pm

I love (and own) the arcade version..... it seriously rocks.

YOU ARE LUCY! :)

planetmatt

Post by planetmatt » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:22 am

Good game but I am appalingly bad at it. One of the first games that came with my Atari ST so played it quiet a bit.

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:04 pm

Apologies for resurrecting this but I have only just got here and yes, I'm a big Bombjack fan and have played a fair few of the home versions. Most recently acquired was the Tecmo compilation version and it is very good, probably worth buying the compilation for if you can get it cheaply as I did.

The Spectrum version was probably the best home version. Perhaps slightly easier than the arcade version and the Tecmo classics version but still very good with fairly tight controls. It ate up a lot of time when I got it way back in the 80s.

The CPC version wasn't bad albeit slightly easier than the Spectrum version.

The C64 version. Well as most people know...euuugh! Sprites the size of houses that made getting anywhere too difficult once the bad guys started hovering around the top platforms.

The Atari ST version looked good and could have been good but I always found it too hard. The timing was out on it somehow and the enemies seemed to home in all to quickly. Might have to dig it out and run it alongside the Tecmo and MAME versions to see.

MAME. It's the arcade version.

C16/+4. Not as horrific as it could have been. Not as bad as the C64 version but not good.

As for Mighty Bombjack, a totally different game but still quite good. It's a bit of a toss up between NES and arcade versions as to which is my favourite. Possibly coming down on the side of the NES version though.

Oh and Bombjack 2. Errrr! One word...Why ? Absolutely hated it for some reason. It just wasn't Bombjack.
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:40 pm

KV, you've pretty much got it spot-on! :)

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:52 pm

Kaptain_Von wrote: The Atari ST version looked good and could have been good but I always found it too hard. The timing was out on it somehow and the enemies seemed to home in all to quickly.
My 1st wife had this version beat. She had all the bomb ignition patterns commited to memory for max points and ran (flew?) rings around the AI. It is absolutely possible to achieve ridiculously high scores on it and cycle the boards several times. As she's a 'non-gamer' you ought to be able to hammer this one.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:08 pm

In my view, Bomb Jack is the best MAMEd game around and is in my all time top 3 arcade games (with Outrun and R-Type).

It is the most played game on my MAME Cab by far.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:03 am

Some games were far better on the Speccy, some the C64 (Ghostbusters) and others it was good to see the different games (Eg Rambo and Commando were good on both).

I'm a huge fan of Bombjack and i thought the C64 was very poor.

In the last few weeks someone did a Bombjack Editor for the Speccy ! Its great...

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/v ... orum=11&19

Someones even released a new version with brand new levels and new backgrounds. The editor is very good though and well worth using.

Bombjack was brilliant on MAME and very good on the Speccy. I always waffle on about 'Mighty Bombjack' on the NES , i think its excellent, has horizontal and vertical and normal levels. All the same sort of playability.

A brilliant simple game, just a pity Bombjack II was dire. Thats what i love about the editor, create your own levels and save them.

Anyway dont want to start another Speccy/C64 war but i cant see how people can think the C64 version is better. Forget the monochrome graphics etc on the Speccy, the playability is excellent. I remember rushing out to buy Bombjack on the Amiga but this was pretty dire sadly.

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:46 pm

markopoloman wrote:Hmmm - although BombJack 2 on the c64 was a pile of poo, I quite enjoyed the first one!

Am I the only one that thought it was pretty good????
I also enjoyed Bomb Jack on the C64 & still enjoy it today. The music is great too!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:51 pm

I wouldn't say it was especially bad, just not as good as the Spectrum (which in my opinion is flawless) or the suprisingly brilliant C16 version.

daverage

Post by daverage » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:11 pm

The arcade version was great, even pulled on holiday once whilst playing bombjack lol
Andrzej 'daverage' Marczewski
http://www.yetanotherreviewsite.co.uk
Games reviews written by gamers for gamers

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:27 pm

Kaptain_Von wrote:C16/+4. Not as horrific as it could have been. Not as bad as the C64 version but not good.
Bombjack was one of the first games I bought for the C16 and I thought it was the bee's knees!!!

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:02 pm

Am I the only one who thinks that the C64 version is the best? I've been playing the C64 version since I was a little nipper and loved it because it was challenging. When I finally got round to playing the Speccy and Arcade versions a few years ago I was actually quite disappointed. The smaller sprites and fewer baddies on screen made the game way too easy, and I got bored of them too quickly. Plus I loved the Jean Michel Jarre soundtrack from the C64 version. Gimme the C64 version anyday!

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:04 pm

yes you are.

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:54 pm

pottyboy wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that the C64 version is the best? I've been playing the C64 version since I was a little nipper and loved it because it was challenging. When I finally got round to playing the Speccy and Arcade versions a few years ago I was actually quite disappointed. The smaller sprites and fewer baddies on screen made the game way too easy, and I got bored of them too quickly. Plus I loved the Jean Michel Jarre soundtrack from the C64 version. Gimme the C64 version anyday!
You know, he makes a good point. The Speccy version was graphically quite poor & the sound wasn't anything to write home about. I know it scores high for playability but it did seem easy, let's be honest. The C64 version seemed to play well enough for me & the nice colourful sprites, cheerful tune & responsiveness made it good fun to play.

Elspuddy

Post by Elspuddy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:17 pm

All spelling mistakes, grammatical errors and stupid comments are intentional.