Discuss Time! Issue 139

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

David

Re: Discuss Time! Issue 139

Post by David » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:32 pm

Time is a tool you can put on the wall, or wear it on your wrist....(any fans of 'dont hug me I'm scared'?) :D

Anyway, I too love the idea of a handheld but end up getting fed up of them too. I like the idea of getting one of those android gaming ones though

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:32 pm

Me + Game Boy Pocket + Tetris = very happy retro gamer.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:57 pm

Definitely - my 3DS gets a lot of time, especially due to me being on the road for work a lot.

Zelda OoT, Starfox 64, RE Revelations, Super Mario 3D, A Link to the Past 3D all are brilliant on the 3Ds.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:50 pm

Ever since I got a Gameboy with Tetris, my gaming landscape changed forever, just so enjoyed picking up a game to play without having to worry about having to negotiate over a TV. Went onto the Lynx, through the rest of the Gameboy line, the PSP, and the DS consoles, then when more money became available, started going back to machines I could never afford years ago, such as the Nomad and PC Engine GT, ending up with nearly 30 of them.

I do like watching TV, and have grown accustomed to playing on one of the handhelds while enjoying and still absorbing a programme.

Currently, the 3DS is getting most time with the new Animal Crossing, after spending six years on the previous one, also the Vita is an absolutely brilliant machine, with it's crossbuy feature, a bit mystifying why more people have not picked it up, it has the touch screen controls, and very good regular controls, it really has the ability to play any game on the move.

Currently my all time favourite is the Lynx, just such a fantastic range of excellent arcade conversions, and with modern batteries it has a life not much less than a 3DS.

I have a feeling though that the 3DS XL or the Vita may take it's crown one day though.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:22 pm

I have the Vita and the 3DS at the minute, the Vita gets the most love, mainly due to getting free games every month on PSN+. I'd say I play on it more than the PS3, mainly due to the convenience of not having to be in the front room to play it, the only drawback being the amount of memory cards I need and remembering whats on which one. I like the 3DS too, but like all Nintendo consoles, the best games are always full price releases and never drop, so it limits how many I can collect for it.

ArcadeMYK

Post by ArcadeMYK » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:23 am

I'm an avid handheld gamer for sure, getting out my DSi-XL at least on 3 bus trips home a week on my way home from work and that pint-sized console of awesomeness will come with me on every holiday and holiday related bus/train/plane trip. My main motivation for bringing it with me is the constant struggle to try and better my Pacman and Galaga high scores on Namco Museum DS. When commuting as a passenger solo if I'm not reading RG mag I'm gaming, when I'm too tired to do either ill occasionally hit up some movies/documentaries on my mobile phone or mindlessly wander through the traps of Facestagram/Instabook.

Oh and in our throne room at home I always have the grey beast DMG mono-chrome Gameboy loaded up with Tetris for those short blasts.

My favourite handheld is the XL for sure.. All the time I owned my gen 1 DS the only thing that I thought could make the console better was bigger screens.. The universe then eventually supplied one! Too bad it was at the cost of losing GBA backward compatability =(
From Game&Watch to PS2 and Arcade in between, its been so much fun every single step of the way.

VideoGame Addict since 1989

quantum

Post by quantum » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:15 pm

GBA is great for playing on the sofa while the missus watches some crap soap :wink: Can't go wrong with Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow or Tetris!

How about a game screenshot quiz? Amiga, DOS, Megadrive and Commodore 64.

Oblisky

Post by Oblisky » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:06 pm

Being able to play 8-bit and 16-bit games on emu on my PSP means it will be around for a long time yet.

Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:25 am

Handhelds were a bit of a slow burn for me. I had little interest in them before the GBA, and even then it was mainly due to the large quantity of homebrew available for it. Once that started, however, I have found that more and more of my gaming time is spent on handhelds. First there were PDA games for Palm and an early Windows mobile smartphone I owned, followed by my beloved Nokia N-Gage, a DS, a PSP, and more recent iphone and Android games. Today I never go out without a huge selection of games on me, just in case I have a bit of time and want to keep myself entertained. To me this freedom makes handhelds far more appealing to own than being tied down to one place for a console or a computer.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:18 pm

My first experience with Handheld gaming was Mario's cement factory Game & Watch. Loved it as did my dad (so much so I got annoyed with his high score and removed the batteries) Still working up too until last year when it was sold on. Since then I have dabbled on occasion with handhelds until I was given a PSP - And there was much re-rejoicing! Fantastic Handheld.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:38 am

Alright !

Love handheld gaming

Used to have a Gameboy back in the 90's, remember my friend came back from Spain with a cartridge which was 64 games in 1, at the time i thought this was the best thing ever to have !

Had a GP32 which was great for early emulation. Then after that a Pocket PC which ran a lot of emulators very well

Of course now the best is...

An iphone/ipod touch

Games are SOOO cheap, huge range of different types. On my phone i've got emulators, i've got legit copies of classic 80s games or 90's games like Sonic/Doom and many many others.

Why do i love handheld gaming ? Married, got two young kids, dont have much time to get the TV to myself for a console. I also work away a fair bit so i cant lug my console on the train/tube etc ! With handheld gaming its so easy to have a quick game here or there. Handheld gaming has come a LONG way from the days of 'Snake' on your phone. Many of the games look great and play very well with on screen buttons. A huge wide variety of games and like i say so so cheap. In a perfect world i would love to have consoles all over the place but its just not doable for me, mobile gaming has allowed me to play GB/GBA/NES/SNES and other games whenever i want, plus the huge range of app store games anyway. A brilliant device

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:43 am

I definitely prefer the big screen over the hand held experience. But there's still a big place for handheld gaming in my heart.

It's been an absolute saviour over the years, especially when I've been working out of town week in week out. And theres nothing better than smuggling your psp abroad for late night gaming sessions on holiday. The psp is my go to system for compilations. Such a pity the passport thing never happened as I would have loved to put them all on my vita.

As it stands both systems will be making the trip this year!

Eat your nans pants