Top 10 C16, Plus/4 games.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

C16

Re: Top 10 C16, Plus/4 games.

Post by C16 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:09 pm

XZAP is a truly superb frantic arcade game for the C16.

My favourites are:

1. Fire-Galaxy
2. Adventures in time +4
3. Tom Thumb
4. Kikstart
5. The Frog +4
6. Treasure Island +4
7. Tutti Frutti
8. Out on a limb
9. XZAP
10. Timeslip

Spector

Post by Spector » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:46 pm

I remember buying BMX Racers back in the day, and revisiting it not long ago I still think it's a goodie. Timeslip also deserves another mention, and in terms of programmers, Shaun Southern was just the greatest on that machine. This makes me want to go on Ebay and buy a C16 again. Hey it's the 30th Anniversary!
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

clarance

Post by clarance » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:50 pm

Interesting to see a Plus/4 article - hope it's not a cut'n'paste job by you-know-who, but I've got a horrible feeling...

Anyway - all C16 games, all nice and tight little arcade games (and all quality) - the only thing the C16 could really do. Plus/4, for me, couldn't really add anything to what the 64 was doing and really was completely pointless (but kind of wonderful all the same because of that), so I wont be including any of that stuff today.

So - These go to eleven -

Kikstart
Voidrunner
Terra Cognita
Squirm
Tutti Frutti
Skramble
Bongo
Pacmania
Space Pilot
Xzap
Mr Puniverse

Winter and Summer events too are fabulous, but being multi-loads, they aren't included.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:56 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
Shinobi wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:I never played on one much. an uncle did have one and I do recall playing some games I really enjoyed. my memories hazy but I do remember

Fireant.

a platformy run and jump game that I loved that seemed to be likned with punch and judy ( I think )

Some sort of vertical shooter that I played to death.

Would love for a little clarification.
Punchy it came free with the Commodore 16 along with Xxap, sort of like Hunchback but you had to get to a cradle to rock the baby.. Mr Punch was the bad guy and he would stay in the ramparts with his stick
That was it, Punchy. loved that game. I also remember xxap. was it a pretty basic game with little block like graphics.
You've got me thinking how to explain Xzap I know the enemies where small skulls, Red and Green boxes and Ace of Spades I believe the boxes could only be killed when green.. Still plays well

"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:22 pm

I got a lot of fun out of my Plus4 and have always considered it an under-rated machine. My personal picks in no particular order would have to be:

Jetbrix
Tutti Frutti
Voidrunner
Trailblazer
Ace (+4)
Ace 2 (+4)
Icicle Works
Autozone
Baby Berks
Reach for the sky

Honorable mentions to: Mercenary (+4), Xcellor8, Planet Search, Mr Puniverse, Terra Nova, Legionnaire, Winter games (+4,) and Liberator.

It was always amazing to see what programmers could get out of the machine with some amazingly playable games crammed into 16k and some of the +4 games putting those on other systems to shame.
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:33 pm

yep Xzap is one I remember.

Big thank you for everyone on this thread, some seriusly great memories are coming back. I always remember playing on a system with my sister and cousin. taking turns playing them. waiting for the icecream van and rushing out to get sweets and rushing back to get back on the games while the adults played cards.

never could quite remember what it was I was playing on.

Punchy
Xzap
Terra nova
Fire ant

have filled in the gaps, other 2 I played have recently learnt are Treasure island and pheonix.

There were some others but I have no idea. I remember Terra nova but I am sure I played another vertical shooter with more colourful graphics that started out on a green ( think it was grass ) background. not sure but I think the character you controlled may have been an animal or something. dont think it was a spaceship.

Funny isn't it. all the talk about C16 in threads and I never put 2 and 2 together and have actually discovered its a machine that I have a lot of love for and have some great memories.

mentioned it to my sister and as it turns out we owned it for a while, I had my Amstrad and 2600 and my sister was given this and we used to play on it in her room

clarance

Post by clarance » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:29 pm

RodimusPrime wrote: have filled in the gaps, other 2 I played have recently learnt are Treasure island and pheonix.

There were some others but I have no idea. I remember Terra nova but I am sure I played another vertical shooter with more colourful graphics that started out on a green ( think it was grass ) background. not sure but I think the character you controlled may have been an animal or something. dont think it was a spaceship.
Could it be Gullwing Falcon? -

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:09 pm

Thanks for reminding me about Punchy - that was one of the ones I couldn't remember the name of.
Where logic won't work, I will

Spector

Post by Spector » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:45 am

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the classic utility software bundled on the other side of the Punchy/Xzap tape: Rolf Harris Picture Builder! :lol:
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

clarance

Post by clarance » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:27 am

Spector wrote:I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the classic utility software bundled on the other side of the Punchy/Xzap tape: Rolf Harris Picture Builder! :lol:

Here's my portrait of a young Rolf Harris (before he was a fiddler, probably), on his 'Picture Builder' -

merman

Post by merman » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:31 am

I would love to interview Udo Gertz for RG, but not tracked him down yet...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:37 am

merman wrote:I would love to interview Udo Gertz for RG, but not tracked him down yet...
Well, that'd be great! He's in my top 3 list together with Paul Woakes and Chris Butler :)

I'd forgotten about Exorcist, good Pacman-style game, nice music too.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

clarance

Post by clarance » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:30 am

merman wrote:I would love to interview Udo Gertz for RG, but not tracked him down yet...
You might want to contact the chaps at Plus/4 World - seems that they have had some sort of contact - http://plus4world.powweb.com/forum/3673#22015

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:41 am

The C16/Plus4 always baffled me! I've got a Plus 4 now so can see for myself what it is really like! :D
Good to see lists of games to try.......
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:10 pm

clarance wrote:
You might want to contact the chaps at Plus/4 World - seems that they have had some sort of contact - http://plus4world.powweb.com/forum/3673#22015
Or you could try to stalk his sister Brigitte (that helped him and made the music for several of his games) who's on FaceBook :lol:

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark