play expo, manchester, october 11-12 2014

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: play expo, manchester, october 11-12 2014

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:15 pm

RetroBob wrote:I liked the retro layout - particularly the themed areas for Terminator, AvP, bond etc.
Glad you enjoyed that bit, it was a nightmare to set up! TVs and consoles dying, games going AWOL... Certain sections (Harry Potter and Indiana Jones from memory) ended up with maybe a quarter of the amount of games intended. Learning experiences and all that.

Overall though, I loved every minute of it, even the parts where I was close to exploding looking for a combination of a Saturn and a game that would actually work, I was still smiling on the inside.

Seeing a lot of names here that I didn't meet, or didn't even realise were going - maybe the "name tags" thing would be a good idea again?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:02 am

RetroBob wrote:
sirclive1 wrote:Went Sunday with my lad , loved the arcade section (as usual), loved track n field , mr Do! , space invaders II plus loads more , the pinball was interesting but a lot of machine hogging going on (not a lot you can do about it !) .

Spent a few quid on the stalls , thought the prices are getting steadily dearer ! I know they must have to pay a wack to stand at the event , pay staff etc and retro gaming on the whole is becoming expensive though , so fair play .

Overall , a well organised fun event , plenty to do , cheap to enter and well worth a trip !
Yeah the stall selling in £s and Euros was probably the most LOLtastic pricing wise - it didn't look like they were selling much either. Bluebear gaming were there, their stuff isn't great quality (compared to Console Passion), some of their prices are ok, others, well... £100 for an unboxed Master System 3D Glasses? They're barely worth that complete. Just another victim of looking at rip off BIN prices. If they were worth that much, they wouldn't still be listed because someone would have bought them!
In bluebear gamings defence, i got super mario world for £8, and also somewhere else i got a ti99/4a with a bunch of stuff for £10

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:08 am

Well Harry potter isnt exactly known for having quality games, the wrestling section suffered due to it being just WWF/WWE only

Could of had a Red dwarf section

Oh wait, it has no games

ReplayRetro

Post by ReplayRetro » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:51 am

playzooki wrote:somewhere else i got a ti99/4a with a bunch of stuff for £10
Was that the one on the back of one of the stalls? it was a bit banged up and dented and i felt sorry for it, wish i'd asked how much it was now £10 is a bargain
Visit www.youtube.com/replayretro . why? well erm, cos it would be awfully friendly of you to take a look i guess, you don't have to though, nobody will make you *sob sob*

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:30 am

ReplayRetro wrote:
playzooki wrote:somewhere else i got a ti99/4a with a bunch of stuff for £10
Was that the one on the back of one of the stalls? it was a bit banged up and dented and i felt sorry for it, wish i'd asked how much it was now £10 is a bargain
It was under a stall, on top of a box, front plate is wrecked but other than that its in decent condition

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:47 pm

Really feel like I missed out, it was just WRONG that's wasn't there this year, not planning on making that mistake in May for Blackpool.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:43 am

the_hawk wrote:not planning on making that mistake in May for Blackpool.
Only just realised that this is on - I didn't see any promo for it at Play Expo like there was last year. Still - 3 days? Great :)

Dam

Post by Dam » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:45 pm

MikeFishcake wrote:
the_hawk wrote:not planning on making that mistake in May for Blackpool.
Only just realised that this is on - I didn't see any promo for it at Play Expo like there was last year. Still - 3 days? Great :)
Booked my hotel already! Gutted to miss last years, so definitely not missing this one.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:11 pm

i'll probably end up going but not doing the full 3 days unless i end up volunteering for all/part, i was exhausted after 2 days at playexpo (i'm blaming age)

if i dont go i am planning on heading somewhere i enjoy visiting nearby, one of my other ideas was to do 2 nights there and 2 nights at the event (or maybe all 4 nights there and drive up, its less than 10 miles. my decision will be swayed by 3 things:
1. what the opening times are
2. what my volunteering commitments are (i have volunteered but doesnt mean i'll be asked)
3. how much where i stayed last year will cost

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:24 am

Right for Blackpool, forget all this dressing up, modern gaming and film actor people malarkey....just get KEVIN TOMS there and a shedload of spectrums & I'll be the happiest man in all of Christendom.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

tranceinyapantz

Post by tranceinyapantz » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:00 am

Wow is it that long since I last signed onto Retro Gamer?

Personally I think this event gets better each year. I tend to go more for the Pinball machines than anything else, although I did get the 3rd highest score on the ROTJ arcade machine on my first attempt. This year was limited to just the Saturday as previously I've ended up with crippled fingers from playing too much pinball and arcade machines.

online photo sharing
Lean, Green And On The Screen.