The Wonders of the World Cup

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

psj3809

Re: The Wonders of the World Cup

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:27 am

Yeah now the dust has settled i think people will see it for what it was. We were lucky, we didnt score tons of open play goals, seemed to rely on free kicks/corners ! Lingard had about 40 chances but scored once

I'm happy though as they are a very young team and the experience etc will do them wonders. Just winning a game on penalties was brilliant. Germany in 2002 had an 'easy' route to the final so i'm not that fussed we had the 'easier' games on paper. The team did far better than we thought, lost to Iceland in the Euros last time, not even out of the group stages the last world cup.

Need Rashford or someone to come through and become a 'Michael Owen' type figure to help out Kane up front and just get some goals. I think most proper fans will think the same about this years side, just a good tournament and a lot of fun. NOT expecting a final appearance in Euro 2020 but i'm more positive than i was after the last world cup/Iceland tragedy. Just need to score goals rather than penalties/free kicks/corners

At halftime last wednesday i was thinking 'damn we're one half away from the world cup final' but you could see Croatia were going to come back into it sadly. Watching some of the games down the local boozer was great though, sadly didnt watch the penalty game down there but the Sweden game was great to watch.

Good article here...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44808192

merman

Post by merman » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:29 pm

Well, Southgate has announced he won't be making major changes for the 3rd/4th playoff. Fair play to him, let's go for it and keep attacking. That's part of why we lost to Croatia and needed penalties against Colombia - England teams have never been good at "killing " a game when in the lead.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:32 pm

merman wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:29 pm
Well, Southgate has announced he won't be making major changes for the 3rd/4th playoff. Fair play to him, let's go for it and keep attacking. That's part of why we lost to Croatia and needed penalties against Colombia - England teams have never been good at "killing " a game when in the lead.
Well that first half against Croatia, if Kane tapped it across its a simple tap in for the goal. NOT saying we would have then won but frustrating looking back

Good on Southgate if this is the case on saturday, must admit i'm not too fussed by this game but i'll watch it