Best songs by Queen/Freddie Mercury

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Megamixer

Best songs by Queen/Freddie Mercury

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:21 pm

Obviously not everybody is/was a Queen fan but with so many songs to choose from, I was wondering which ones are the favourites for other fans. Mine would have to be (in no order):

Breakthru
Who Wants to Live Forever
Radio Ga Ga
The Show Must Go On

Anybody else?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

nokgod

Re: Best songs by Queen/Freddie Mercury

Post by nokgod » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:32 pm

Who wants to live forever (from Highlander) will always be my favourite Queen track. I don't think anyone else could sing that song well. I know Seal tried...but failed.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:02 pm

So many lovely songs.
Mother Love
Let me Live

Both from their final studio album.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:12 pm

Too Much Love Will Kill You.. beautifully sung by Freddy, and oh-so poignant.

Love of My Life

Is this the World We Created?

Save Me

Two absolute favourites are 'Don't Stop Me Now' and 'Crazy Little Thing'

The guy was amazing, but even though his vocal talents were outstanding he was only half the force without the rest of the group.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:33 pm

A retro forum and nobody's chanted 'Flash!' yet? Classic cheesy track.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:00 pm

Somebody To Love. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRt2jX1kaYo

And Don't Stop Me Now, I absolutely love this video, the clips and editing match the song perfectly. 8)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOh968qao74
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:46 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:A retro forum and nobody's chanted 'Flash!' yet? Classic cheesy track.
Used to love that, my mum used it to explain to me what "stereo" meant. I'd lie down between the two speakers, and there'd be lasers going from one speaker to the other - it's a great song!

My favourite Queen songs "nowadays" are...

-It's A Hard Life

-Seven Seas of Rhye

-'39 (sounds nothing like anything else they've done to my knowledge, really nice stuff)
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Spector

Post by Spector » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:53 pm

"These Are The Days Of Our Lives" is one of their best surely, especially in light of what was happening with Freddie at the time. Definitely my favourite.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Roo

Post by Roo » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:09 pm

I'm glad BreakThru has been mentioned - that was the first Queen song I'd ever heard (off of a VHS back when I was three or four years old) and remains my absolute favourite.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:38 pm

Under Pressure - a predictable choice maybe but I'm surprised that the world didn't explode from too much awesome.

Innuendo - love all the styles and flourishes, it's like a Bohemian Rhapsody part II. Fantastic video as well.

One Vision - just gimme gimme gimme gimme FRIED CHICKEN!

As for Freddie's solo stuff, Guide Me Home from the Barcelona album.

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:04 am

I liked, 'Hammer to fall'

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:42 am

Urrrgh Queen ! My dad played that non stop in the car throughout holidays to Cornwall every year in the 80's. Heard Radio Ga ga and that album must be a million times !

Love the Flash tune i must admit, love the bit when it starts 'just a man....'
Under Pressure - Amazing tune , got goosebumps when i heard it in that film with the school reunion (arrrrgh cant remember the name this second !)

Queen were obviously a great band, just not my 'generation'. Just felt like dad rock to me, i'm sure if i was 10 years older i would have loved them but in the 80's I didnt know any 12-16 year olds who were into Queen. But a very talented band, Freddie was a great singer, they wrote their own tunes, performed very well live (not like nowadays with all these writers or miming etc). Didnt like the way they tried to do the songs later on with that new singer, just let it go.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:54 am

psj3809 wrote:Didnt like the way they tried to do the songs later on with that new singer, just let it go.
I would agree with that. It's never really worked for most other bands such as G'nR or A Flock of Seagulls (who were apparently still going in Germany of all places with only one original member last time I checked!).

I do however really like the two live collaborations with Elton John (The Show Must Go On) and George Michael (Somebody to Love). Obviously neither could 'replace' Freddie but they were probably the best suited to sing his part in both songs.
Liamh1982 wrote:Under Pressure - a predictable choice maybe but I'm surprised that the world didn't explode from too much awesome.
I find myself slightly leaning towards the 'Rah' mix from Greatest Hits III but either way, a brilliant song! Just don't mention the abomination that was 'sung' by Jedward...ugh!
Last edited by Megamixer on Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:59 am

psj3809 wrote: Under Pressure - Amazing tune , got goosebumps when i heard it in that film with the school reunion (arrrrgh cant remember the name this second !)
Grosse Point Blank?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:41 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
psj3809 wrote: Under Pressure - Amazing tune , got goosebumps when i heard it in that film with the school reunion (arrrrgh cant remember the name this second !)
Grosse Point Blank?
Yep thats the one ! Cheers

Was great when i heard that tune in the film, worked really well. A great great tune