Is there room for the Wii U in this gen?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

General Opulence

Re: Is there room for the Wii U in this gen?

Post by General Opulence » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:26 pm

I dont think the Wii U needs another price drop, what was the premium launch £329? I picked mine up with Lego City in Sainsburys for £199 pretty decent value esp with a tablet controller.

What it needs is more exclusive games, multiformat games can only help a little esp with better looking versions on newer formats, i know there is some exclusives coming, but its more of a trickle than anything, they need more to make people sit up and want one.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:35 pm

Nemesis wrote:Another link to ponder over,

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... s-miyamoto
didn't agree with the majority of that essay.

without people like Miyamoto at Nintendo (and they have a few) they would be turning out the same types of games as everyone else, whether you like Nintendo or not, at least they offer something different to the other game companies (I don't see any zombie space marine games coming out of Nintendo HQ, and I can get these type of games till I puke from the other 2 consoles) ....this may not make Nintendo popular at the moment but these things are cyclical (look at how many 2d platform games are being made by the indies, people gush over them...baffling)

in part the writer is trying to suggest that Nintendo conform a bit more with latest trends from its competitors. I disagree with that sentiment. however, I agree that some new IP would be nice. I like the fact I buy a Nintendo game and it has loads of content on the disc I don't pay extra for. if people don't want that, and want to pay £50 for a disc then spend another £110 on a car to use in the game...pppffff whatever!

online gaming and FPS's etc. do nothing to interest me..... its the f*cking internet though, Microsoft were on the end of a beating for a few weeks...now its nintendos turn. I'm sick of the whingers and pre-pubescent superiority complex tw@ts.

They are entertainment devices people get the f*ck over it (yes...shouting at the internet is ineffectual)

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:46 pm

Totally agree with HeavyFace. Of the big three, Nintendo is the only one offering anything different. The other two are utterly interchangeable, and whilst it wolud be bad for competition if one of them was to go under, the market they cater too would still have pretty much the same thing available to them if one or the other vanished off the face of the Earth.
Nintendo is a "feeder" system in many ways, families and kids use the brand extensively, and those kids will eventually move onto one of the other systems as they get older. Without Nintendo, there maybe fewer gamers coming through, unless one of the other big names decides to try and pick up the kid market.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:55 pm

F**K it, I am going to put my money where my mouth is and buy the WiiU. I always go on about how I grew up with nintendo and am waiting for the right time. I have 12 days of work from the 15th feb onwards. I have 4 days in amsterdam then I am going to buy one when I get back with Mario and Windwaker ( never did finish it and now seems the perfect time to do so ) and spen a few days having a really good go on the console.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:03 pm

I always thought that it would be great for Nintendo to explore the possibility of making first party games with other characters from their popular 1st party selection. 3rd party support is few and far between right now, so why not explore the possibility of making games based on Ganon from Zelda, another princess peach game, a new Wario & Luigi game, a platform games with Bowser & his little koopa's (would love this one :D )

I'm just throwing suggestions. May all be complete horse****

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:16 pm

Maybe the Wii U would need more realistic-looking Nintendo games. You know, stuff like this:

Lets do be honest here - they only seem to be making "cartoon" games lately. :wink:

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:51 pm

samhain81 wrote:I always thought that it would be great for Nintendo to explore the possibility of making first party games with other characters from their popular 1st party selection. 3rd party support is few and far between right now, so why not explore the possibility of making games based on Ganon from Zelda, another princess peach game, a new Wario & Luigi game, a platform games with Bowser & his little koopa's (would love this one :D )

No, I actually think that could work. A zelda game that is a little more gritty starring Ganon. The game could chart his rise and show how he got to be where he is. I am thinking something similar in style playwise to darksiders.

Captain Falcom from F-zero is a great characyer and the F-zero series is littered with other really interesting characters and has quite a rich backstory. Falcon is a bounty hunter, you have Samurai Goroh as a leader of a group of bandits etc. It already has an anime based on it. You can't tell me that cant be expanded into a character driven game starring captain Falcon.

People are saying the Wiiu is lacking a good RPG game, yet Nintendo are sitting on the Earthbound and Golden Sun franchises.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:04 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
samhain81 wrote:I always thought that it would be great for Nintendo to explore the possibility of making first party games with other characters from their popular 1st party selection. 3rd party support is few and far between right now, so why not explore the possibility of making games based on Ganon from Zelda, another princess peach game, a new Wario & Luigi game, a platform games with Bowser & his little koopa's (would love this one :D )

No, I actually think that could work. A zelda game that is a little more gritty starring Ganon. The game could chart his rise and show how he got to be where he is. I am thinking something similar in style playwise to darksiders.

Captain Falcom from F-zero is a great characyer and the F-zero series is littered with other really interesting characters and has quite a rich backstory. Falcon is a bounty hunter, you have Samurai Goroh as a leader of a group of bandits etc. It already has an anime based on it. You can't tell me that cant be expanded into a character driven game starring captain Falcon.

People are saying the Wiiu is lacking a good RPG game, yet Nintendo are sitting on the Earthbound and Golden Sun franchises.
Exactly. If anything, Nintendo should explore more of it's own IPs than doing something totally different. Or how about a Chrono Trigger remake, a new exclusive Mega Man adventure/shooter or EarthBound remake.

I'm sure there are ways Nintendo can excite the gaming audience without going for what is currently "hip". Maybe they could even make a ultra-realistic and deep strategy game based on their own "Wars" franchise that even PC strategy players would like. Something like the canned Ultimate War for 64DD but with modern visuals and good GamePad integration.

EDIT: or think how cool a new Pilotwings game could have been on the Wii U and it's controller. There's just not enough enjoyable hang-gliding sims out there.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:33 am

outdated_gamer wrote:Maybe the Wii U would need more realistic-looking Nintendo games. You know, stuff like this:

Lets do be honest here - they only seem to be making "cartoon" games lately. :wink:
Good man for posting those up.IF Nintendo had delivered games like that by now, i can honestly say there'd be a Wii U sat under my TV (probably replacing the 360 if honest) as i so wanted games that looked that great, the Zelda Spider just screams epic battle to me), loved N64 Starfox etc etc.

So i'm not knocking quality of games they have delivered, but other than Pikimin III, there's been nothing on Wii U, to appeal to myself (that's still 1 more game than PS4 or Xbox One so far can boast mind), hence i'm happy sticking with PS3 etc as there are games i've yet to play both past, present and future.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:17 pm

Lost Dragon wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:Maybe the Wii U would need more realistic-looking Nintendo games. You know, stuff like this:

Good man for posting those up.IF Nintendo had delivered games like that by now, i can honestly say there'd be a Wii U sat under my TV (probably replacing the 360 if honest) as i so wanted games that looked that great, the Zelda Spider just screams epic battle to me), loved N64 Starfox etc etc.

So i'm not knocking quality of games they have delivered, but other than Pikimin III, there's been nothing on Wii U, to appeal to myself (that's still 1 more game than PS4 or Xbox One so far can boast mind), hence i'm happy sticking with PS3 etc as there are games i've yet to play both past, present and future.
Those images are damn gorgeous :)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:31 am

kiwimike wrote:Those images are damn gorgeous :)
Yes, but "not actual gameplay footage." :wink:

I'd think that Nintendo probably should update the look of some of their games, with Zelda and Metroid being the prime candidates, but we shouldn't forget what a massive undertaking it'd be, and that most of the studios currently delivering games with that sort of look have had a decade to be honing their engines. As such, it's not really much of an option as a quick fix for the Wii U, but something we might see in a year or two's time.

Still, a few tech demos at E3 would probably go down a treat even if the games are that far away.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:38 am

Matt_B wrote:
kiwimike wrote:Those images are damn gorgeous :)
Yes, but "not actual gameplay footage." :wink:

I'd think that Nintendo probably should update the look of some of their games, with Zelda and Metroid being the prime candidates, but we shouldn't forget what a massive undertaking it'd be, and that most of the studios currently delivering games with that sort of look have had a decade to be honing their engines. As such, it's not really much of an option as a quick fix for the Wii U, but something we might see in a year or two's time.

Still, a few tech demos at E3 would probably go down a treat even if the games are that far away.
Zelda games have changed massively over the years in graphical terms, a lot more than most. Link to the Past > Ocarina > Wind Waker > Twilight > Skyward Sword. All have a unique look about them.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:50 am

Lost Dragon wrote:

Yea, I'm sure games like Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Lego Undercover, ect. are all good, but they don't have the appeal that some of the above posted games could have. Even the Wind Waker remake and Mario 3D World didn't have the desired "system seller" effect Nintendo seem to be looking for. The situation reminds me a little on the GameCube Zelda tech-demo that left people anticipating a new, realistic (fantasy realism) Zelda game but then they decided to go for "cartoony" visuals in Wind Waker. I think Wind Waker looked good but it wasn't what the fanbase actually wanted. When they later announced a realistic-looking Zelda game, it was exactly what the fan base desired.

I won't say that graphics make a game, but they for sure are good for building up excitement. Let's not forget how big Star Fox on the SNES used to be due to being the first successful 3D polygon game on home consoles. Or how exciting Donkey Kong Country was with it's "32-bit graphics" on a 16-bit machine. Or when people played a 3D Mario for the first time or a 3D Zelda for the first time. I think it's games like these Nintendo would need now, something that would "blow away" the gaming audience.

And let's not foget the success of games like thisone. :wink:

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:59 am

Yes, I'd agree with that. Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword both had a unique look to them, but the level of realism hadn't really moved on from what Nintendo were obviously capable of doing in 2002, where games on contemporary platforms were forging ahead in leaps and bounds.

You've really got to go right back to Ocarina for a Zelda game that made me go wow. Since then, they have all seemed rather backwards looking, whether that's been a stylistic choice or a limitation of the hardware. However, at least the latter shouldn't apply with the Wii U as, even if it's not going to be on a par with the PS4/XB1 hardware, it should have the potential to deliver something akin to the mocked up screenshot above and then some.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:42 am

That Metroid picture could easily have been a shot from the criminally underrated Metroid Other M so as far as I can tell Ninty already are publishing games of that graphical standard and have been for some time.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD