Which game got you into gaming?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

forestville

Post by forestville » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:39 pm

for it had to be Horace Goes Skiing on the 48k speccy and also space invaders

:D :D
Press play on tape

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:37 pm

I think Rocketman on the Spectrum, earliest gaming memory anyway.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:38 pm

Donkey Kong Jr., Game & Watch.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:41 pm

Chase H.Q on a mates Master System, this was one game that I couldnt stop playing, then came Sonic on his MD which spurred my later purchase or my beautiful and loved Sega Saturn
Watching you sleep since 1990

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:55 pm

Elgin_McQueen wrote:I think Rocketman on the Spectrum, earliest gaming memory anyway.
There's a Rocketman on Spectrum? I have one for the ZX81, but there's no accurate listing for a game of that name on Speccy...
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Cabal

Post by Cabal » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:27 pm

Very difficult to answer. The first program I came across was Learn to Read 4.

As for a real game...possibly Bruce Lee or Dizzy on the spectrum. Not sure really...

woody.cool

Re:

Post by woody.cool » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:01 pm

Cabal wrote:Very difficult to answer. The first program I came across was Learn to Read 4.

As for a real game...possibly Bruce Lee or Dizzy on the spectrum. Not sure really...
Please say it's Dizzy - that'd be a fantastic introduction to gaming - it gripped me for ages - it's not an easy game though!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:51 pm

Combat on 2600

2 player gaming heaven(and still fun to this day) invisible tanks with ping-pong bullets anyone?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Spector

Re:

Post by Spector » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:46 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Combat on 2600

2 player gaming heaven(and still fun to this day) invisible tanks with ping-pong bullets anyone?
Same here - Combat blew me away as I blew my opponent away, even at the age of five. That wasn't yesterday :shock:

mrbungle

Post by mrbungle » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:47 pm

Frostbite on the 2600 in the late 80s, me and my dad would spend hours trying to beat each others score (and he was surprisingly good at it!)

Think this was the first game where I developed a love for twitch gameplay, as the later levels are so fast the wee Eskimo guy develops matrix style movements and defies all laws of gravity! :D

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:21 pm

mrbungle wrote:Frostbite on the 2600 in the late 80s, me and my dad would spend hours trying to beat each others score (and he was surprisingly good at it!)

Think this was the first game where I developed a love for twitch gameplay, as the later levels are so fast the wee Eskimo guy develops matrix style movements and defies all laws of gravity! :D
wow! someone else who loved this game.

By the later levels you could almost jump from one side of the screen to the other - you're quite right about twitch gameplay,it got so fast after a while that your movements were almost instinctive
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

mrbungle

Re:

Post by mrbungle » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:40 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
mrbungle wrote:Frostbite on the 2600 in the late 80s, me and my dad would spend hours trying to beat each others score (and he was surprisingly good at it!)

wow! someone else who loved this game.

By the later levels you could almost jump from one side of the screen to the other - you're quite right about twitch gameplay,it got so fast after a while that your movements were almost instinctive
lol sweet :) I’m glad someone else has even played this (I thought I was the only one!)
Funny I had a quick blast of it (on the dreamcast) a few months ago, and after half an hour playing it my younger brother couldn’t a) believe I was playing it and b) ‘old’ games could be that fast!

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:26 am

For me, the first game I ever played was 'Yie Ar Kung Fu' on the Sinclair Spectrum. :D

I then played 'Horace Goes Skiing' on the Sinclair Spectrum when then got me hyper into gaming and a Huge Sinclair Spectrum Fan. :D

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:51 pm

for me it was Astro wars & Firefox table top games,then into Vic20 with Gorf,then ZX spectrum oh and if it counts Dark Tower by MB games,yes i know it was a board game but it was the electronics that were superb(for the time anyway).

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:26 pm

Fruity Frank for the Amstrad CPC. In primary school, at the end of term our computing teacher would pull out the games discs with Fruity Frank, Electro Freddy, Finders Keepers... they're the only 3 I can remember but there were more. Fruity Frank was a favourite with the whole class, but I quite liked Finders Keepers as well.

I had played a few Atari 2600 games before that... but they never really \"got me in\" so to speak. I always thought they were way too simple.