From the forum issue 114 Platformers

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

snowkatt

Re: From the forum issue 114 Platformers

Post by snowkatt » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:48 am

ChipTune wrote:Sigh.. the usually shockingly predictable and crap answers from certain people.. Chuckie Egg.. Manic Miner??? Jesus. I think some some people here haven't played any games since they were a spotty oik, keeping the past in some sort of ludicrously rose tinted protective bubble in their mind. Anyone would think no decent games have been released since 1985 judging by the majority of comments on this forum.

Aside from the standard answers of the entire 2D Mario games I would say the best platformers are:

and loads of others that escape my memory right now.
people are allowed to have their own opinion which does not need to be aprovved by the almighty chiptune
i know that sounds odd but it might be a good idea to wrap your head around
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:37 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
kleinemaus wrote:I couldn't remember the game's title, just the bouncing car, after searching I found the info on KLOV, it's named under the genre 'platform game'. KLOV are pretty much always spot on. (or it's their opinion, you decide)
I'll believe my own eyes rather than what a website says. It certainly has platform elements, but it looks like a shooter to me. The very fact that you can't make progress without killing things is testament to that. It's a curious oddity though and is certainly worth of inclusion.
You might wanna try getting KLOV for an interview for the magazine, as they are the authority for all things arcade gaming (going since 1991).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_List_of_Videogames
http://www.arcade-museum.com/

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:52 am

snowkatt wrote:
ChipTune wrote:Sigh.. the usually shockingly predictable and crap answers from certain people.. Chuckie Egg.. Manic Miner??? Jesus. I think some some people here haven't played any games since they were a spotty oik, keeping the past in some sort of ludicrously rose tinted protective bubble in their mind. Anyone would think no decent games have been released since 1985 judging by the majority of comments on this forum.

Aside from the standard answers of the entire 2D Mario games I would say the best platformers are:

people are allowed to have their own opinion which does not need to be aprovved by the almighty chiptune
Hear hear, getting bored for the 7000000th time when he rants about the games we like and then goes on about how crap the Speccy is and then P.S Please come to my blog. Ridiculous

The reason i love platformers like Chuckie Egg and Manic Miner is because they were the very first platform games i played so i 'grew up' with them so they hold fond nostalgic memories.

Thanks to games like Chuckie Egg/Manic Miner i like to try other platformers but some of those early classics are just brilliant. Plus this is a RETRO forum, there will be a lot of us oldies who prefer the games in the early 80's. I'm sure some people in their late 20's will prefer games they were brought up with from the 90's on the SNES etc.

I could have listed a whole long list of platformers from the 80s/90s/early 00s but decided to list just one of my very early favourites (Sir Lancelot) which is one reason why i got into platformers

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:30 am

ChipTune wrote:Sigh.. the usually shockingly predictable and crap answers from certain people.. Chuckie Egg.. Manic Miner??? Jesus..
To be fair, it's about as predictable as you getting your knickers in a twist every time they are mentioned. Jesus.

I actually think you've complained about how many times Manic Miner & Chuckie Egg have been mentioned on here more times than they've actually been mentioned.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:45 am

Rick Dangerous would be a great game, if there was no such thing as Mario or Sonic. Otherwise, its just a nice looking, cool themed game, with absolute rubbish gameplay where you just memorise what happens exactly and keep repeating until you stumble on the right way of doing things.

Growing up, I loved the Monty Pythons Flying Circus game on PC, GODS and a game called Captain Comic on the PC (one of the first ever EGA graphics games).

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:23 am

There's a skill required in the speed and precise accuracy of those old classics that anyone brought up on the sloppy-slidey inertia of Mario will never appreciate. The idea of a character stopping the instant you release a control must really keep some people awake at night.

Though perhaps someone thinks that Manic Miner could be improved by having all the objects laid out in a line from left to right and some arrows added to tell you which way to go?

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:05 pm

Maybe they should have a 20 minute cut scene & an unskippable tutorial too.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:02 pm

Rodland on the Amiga. So cute it will make you puke :)

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:40 pm

the_hawk wrote:Maybe they should have a 20 minute cut scene & an unskippable tutorial too.
And a cr@p annoyingly repetitive tune in the background. Oh, wait... :lol:

RitmanRovers

Post by RitmanRovers » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:36 pm

Spelunky (PC / XBLA)
Castlevania SOTN (Psx)
Wonder Boy (arcade)
Super Frog (amiga)
Fez (XBLA)
Bit.Trip Runner (wii / PC)
Shinobi (arcade)
Rick Dangerous (amiga)
Gargoyle's Quest 2 (NES)
Rainbow Islands (arcade)
Bomb Jack (arcade)

I love how you actually think anyone gives a merry fck. You're hilarious
Eat my boomstick

RitmanRovers

Post by RitmanRovers » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:39 pm

psj3809 wrote:
snowkatt wrote:

Hear hear, getting bored for the 7000000th time when he rants about the games we like and then goes on about how crap the Speccy is and then P.S Please come to my blog. Ridiculous

The reason i love platformers like Chuckie Egg and Manic Miner is because they were the very first platform games i played so i 'grew up' with them so they hold fond nostalgic memories.

Thanks to games like Chuckie Egg/Manic Miner i like to try other platformers but some of those early classics are just brilliant. Plus this is a RETRO forum, there will be a lot of us oldies who prefer the games in the early 80's. I'm sure some people in their late 20's will prefer games they were brought up with from the 90's on the SNES etc.

I could have listed a whole long list of platformers from the 80s/90s/early 00s but decided to list just one of my very early favourites (Sir Lancelot) which is one reason why i got into platformers
He has a blog? Wow colour me surprised. Is it steeped in poorly disguised anger that nobody wants to pay him to express his tiresome, bitter opinions?

I only ask because I obviously have no interest in reading it to find out, largely because I know it will be of no value
Eat my boomstick

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:02 pm

I love Sir Lancelot, but the Atari VCS version, which is a Joust-style of game.

Anyway, an overlooked classic, actually a British written game and excellent to boot, Cavernia (Zeppelin Games, 1990) on A8.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:53 pm

Ah, the usual blog backlash from morons who haven't even read it. I laugh at your ignorance. :lol:

In fact I laugh at the same people who desperately clutch at Chuckie Egg and other ancient gubbins as the last, best hope for gaming.. too stubborn to look at them without rose tinted spectacles. Let's face facts here. Most of these games suck today. Games evolve and improve over time. Saying these are the BEST platform games is like claiming the Penny Farthing is a better bike that the latest £4000 bike designed for all terrain (I don't know anything technical about bikes - but you know what I mean).

I think these games crop up again and again is because the people who desperately cling on to them secretly hate their lives now and would do anything to be a kid again. Maybe it's the dull job, ever decreasing hairline / expanding gut, ugly wife who doesn't put out anymore.. plus a wealth of other factors.. meaning playing Chuckie Egg or any other 8-bit home computer game, ludicrously claiming it to be better than any similar games made in the last 30 years, is the nearest thing they have to going back to 'the good old days'. Hitting a nerve here?

So a Best Platform Games feature in the mag is a predicable as it is tedious. I could probably write the entire list of games now and get 99% of what will appear right. Not because of my knowledge of platform games, but due to the sad predictability of the readers (well, the ones who use this forum anyway).

Bring on the negativity .. You all know this is true.

P.S. For the record Chuckie Egg, Manic Miner, Burger Time and a whole plethora of 8-bit games are very good. Still enjoyable today. Even though they look awful and have sound effects that sound like someone making fart sounds with their mouth. But I object to them being called better than games like Spelunky - which simply dumps over them.

4am

Post by 4am » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:03 pm

ChipTune wrote:Saying these are the BEST platform games is like claiming the Penny Farthing is a better bike that the latest £4000 bike...
All well and good but the question was actually
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:we're running a feature on platformers and would love to know what your favourite one is.
Which rather renders your entire rant pointless...

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:40 pm

[quote=]"ChipTune"
I think these games crop up again and again is because the people who desperately cling on to them secretly hate their lives now and would do anything to be a kid again. Maybe it's the dull job, ever decreasing hairline / expanding gut, ugly wife who doesn't put out anymore.. plus a wealth of other factors..
[/quote]
Perhaps you should add failing eyesight to that list :wink:
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer