30 years of CITV

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

DPrinny

30 years of CITV

Post by DPrinny » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:39 pm

Was an ok program, really dragged down by the headache inducing Dubstep used throughout,
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Antiriad2097

Re: 30 years of CITV

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:11 pm

It reminded me why I never watched any of the featured shows. I was a bit old for the ones covered (though they did at least show a little bit of the original version of How). Didn't see much of it, wondered who the cute chick with Ant & Dec was, turned out to be Cat Deeley. My little sister used to watch that one so I do remember Wonky Donkey and some of the other nonsense they did. Good for kids, not so much for teens.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:17 pm

CITV wasn't a patch on Children's BBC
Going Solo...................

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:18 pm

They didnt mention the Pokemon battles.

They where better than the Pokemon series
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

merman

Post by merman » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:40 pm

Watching it made me realise how little I watched on CITV - mainly Knightmare. Danger Mouse I saw when Channel 4 repeated it.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:40 am

Is it that we didn't watch CITV, or the show just covered a period that was too late for us oldies? I know I found most of the shows too juvenile for my tastes, but knock it back 5-10 years and it would have been full of things I watched.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

dste

Post by dste » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:47 am

As I said in the TV thread there was way too much loving for Ant and Dec in the programme and they could have easily dropped ten-fifteen minutes of them and showed clips from other programmes. Same with the Children's Ward section, instead of showing a load of clips of the same three people they could have showed clips of other famous people who had appeared.

Apart from that though it was fun to see programmes that I grew up with.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:40 pm

I read somewhere they are doing a TV weekend to celebrate showing all the old shows.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Belgarath

Post by Belgarath » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:54 pm

Yeh this weekend the CITV channel is meant to be going totally retro.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:42 am

Saw this last night, how could they've got it so wrong??

That annoying music in the background, too much Ant & Dec, FAR too much Holly Willoughby, too much Children's Ward...

The parts on How 2, Sooty and Art Attack were good, couldn't they've made the whole program like that?

I could go on forever listing things they miss out, but Ghost Train's the main one for me.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:02 am

The hey days of How 2, Art Attack etc were the best.

Random childrens tv fact - I remember having my birthday card read out on SSTV (I was about 7 I believe!)

PSN username - MartinPhantom

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:37 pm

Saw it on ITV 2 last night, I watched a lot of CITV in the late 90's early 2000's, as much as I loved SMTV the segments in the show about SMTV weren't that good, I never watched Ministry of Mayhem because I thought it was crap (BBC had Saturday mornings by the balls at that point thanks to censored and dom). The How2 and Art Attack segments were the ones I liked the most really.

Would be great to see a BBC version of this show were BBC prove they had the better original programming for children.

Starlight

Post by Starlight » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:45 am

I watched CITV and it wasn't as bad some think it was.

I didn't watch SMTV all that much although I knew who Ant and Dec were before they went to do other things.

Fingertips was a really good show that taught you how to do crafts and art...although Art Attack was more about abstract things Niel Bucannon (sic) did.

Overall though, that was the only two things I watched....apparently The Worst Witch was awesome but I was too young for that (or not interested).

Although I hear that BBC was better, I didn't like the Saturday Morning shows on that either...censored and Dom were just too much in terms of wackiness. I like 50/50 which had schools competing, and the occasional Scooby Doo, but I felt that ITV had a very small better line up for a small while.

Overall though, I miss Channel 4's RISE program when I was growing up in my High School years....that was a great morning show.
SEGA, Falcom and "Niche" Nintendo fan

manxman

Post by manxman » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:24 am

Best show on CITV would have to be Knightmare!

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon May 06, 2013 3:32 pm

Citv was good late 80s/early 90s. I didn't see any of it for years and then suddenly in the early 2000s the job I was at meant my main break was half an hour starting anytime between 4 and 5, I ended up watching things like finger tips and developing something of a crush on fearne cotton.