Favorite Nickelodeon cartoons/programs...

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Combo-Breaker

Favorite Nickelodeon cartoons/programs...

Post by Combo-Breaker » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:17 pm

Which one's did you like?

Roo

Re: Favorite Nickelodeon cartoons/programs...

Post by Roo » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:22 pm

Ren & Stimpy was the absolute best in my opinion, though I enjoyed early 90's Rugrats and Doug too. I've also got to admit: Spongebob Squarepants can still make me laugh out loud, and I'm twenty-four years old in a few weeks.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:48 pm

More SpongeBob and Ren & Stimpy love here (although my appreciation of the latter has been well known here for some time :wink: ). Also Angry Beavers, CatDog and Rocko's Modern Life.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:59 pm

Was Justice League a Nick show ? I can't remember anymore.

edit - actualy that may have Toonami. That was a decent channel (for a while anyways).

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:46 pm

Ren and Stimpy, Rugrats and Rockos Modern Life were my favourites back in the day.

And Clarissa Explains It All. Melissa Joan Hart was my first crush. Had a picture of her in my wallet when I was 12 :oops:
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:17 pm

No TV cartoon has ever been as good as the Ren & Stimpy Show.

And I doubt any ever will as well!

This was the first episode I saw, and the moment that made it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW3Roqmfr94
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:15 pm

Have only really started to watch Spongebob recently as my son loves it... it IS laugh out loud funny.. :0)

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

ootini

Post by ootini » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:24 pm

Ren and Stimpy was an absolute revelation when I first saw it back in the day - my mind was completely blown. They used to show it late on Channel 4 or BBC 2 - At the time I thought is was another adult orientated animated series. Was surprised to discover it was a nickelodeon show and aired at a time where kids would get to see it.
In fairness though, any show that gets Frank Zappa in to guest as the voice the pope in the powdered toast man episode is going to win over nearly every other television program that has ever been and ever will be made. Cousin Sven is still my favorite episode.

Spongebob Squarepants is another great show though. Obviously aimed at kids but there is enough in there to keep us who are "old enough to know better" entertained. There was an episode where the Deans (all monkeys) from Sandy's university come to visit. The three of them were voiced by Nigel Planner, Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson in a subtle nod to the Young Ones. There was also a few incredibly subtle Rush references in one episode that I fail to recall correctly. (For those who dont know: Canadian Prog rock band with a very die-hard cult following)

Used to like the Fairly Oddparents too. But it began to grate on me ofter a while. I think its all the shrill and screechy voices and re-hashed plot devices.

Invader Zim was bloody excellent too. Was a big fan of Johnen Vazquez's comics, especially The Bad Art Collection, Fillerbunny and Squee, so I was overjoyed to see that the off the wall humor and random insanity translated over into a kids animated show as well as it did. It probably did get a bit weird for kids in the second season. Shame it was axed. The episode where Zim sends Gir's toy piffys through a time portal to ruin Dib's life in the past was genius.

supermario

Post by supermario » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:21 pm

boggyb68 wrote:Have only really started to watch Spongebob recently as my son loves it... it IS laugh out loud funny.. :0)

B.
I agree !

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:34 pm

ootini wrote:The episode where Zim sends Gir's toy piffys through a time portal to ruin Dib's life in the past was genius.
Great episode that one. "Dark Harvest" is my favourite, like a full-blown horror film condensed into fifteen minutes!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

dste

Post by dste » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:08 pm

Used to enjoy watching Doug, Rugrats, Clarissa Explains it All and The Secret World of Alex Mack. For some reason Ren and Stimpy just passed me by.

Cannot believe that some of these shows are nigh on twenty years old. :(
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:36 pm

Was Courage the Cowardly Dog on Nick? I loved that programme for its utter, utter weirdness.

As my kids were growing up we watched a lot of Dexter's Lab, Ed. Edd and Eddy and the Cramp Twins. All of which were funny to some degree. Spongebob is epic though and i'm still happy to watch it now and i'm 42 :lol:

I DO want the Spongebob Gameboy Advance SP. Hugely expensive though :(
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:12 pm

Think I was more a Cartoon Network fan than Nickelodeon to be honest. I can't remember what channels most of my favourite cartoons/programmes were on though... but these were some of my faves:

Ren & Stimpy
Rocko's Modern Life
Dexter's Lab
Johnny Bravo
Doug
Are you Afraid of the Dark?
Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego?
The Odyssey
Round the Twist

Combo-Breaker

Post by Combo-Breaker » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:30 pm

dste wrote:Used to enjoy watching Doug, Rugrats, Clarissa Explains it All and The Secret World of Alex Mack. For some reason Ren and Stimpy just passed me by.

Bloody scary isn't it mate? Nick in the 90's was so great! Nick, Cartoon Network, FOX (for Spiderman and the X-Men) and Trouble/The Childrens Channel were the channels of my childhood!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:36 pm

Combo-Breaker wrote:
dste wrote:Used to enjoy watching Doug, Rugrats, Clarissa Explains it All and The Secret World of Alex Mack. For some reason Ren and Stimpy just passed me by.

Bloody scary isn't it mate? Nick in the 90's was so great! Nick, Cartoon Network, FOX (for Spiderman and the X-Men) and Trouble/The Childrens Channel were the channels of my childhood!
You've just named more channels than the entire catalogue that existed in my childhood.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.